shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions and recommendations for sapphire setting

remetau

Rough_Rock
Good day everybody,

I've been working with DK on a ring design for a blue sapphire, and was wondering about inputs from the peanut gallery here. I like the look of yellow gold and platinum, but can't decide on the balance. Can't decide if I should just do the whole ring in one or the other.

I'm also up in the air about the gallery. I was thinking more open, but is this too simple and plain?

I was also thinking about adding fine milgrain around the diamonds including the baguettes.

58796-QUAD(1).jpg

Here is the sapphire outside in overcast skies:

Screenshot_20200310-131931_Gallery.jpg

Sorry about the blue, but here is an inside during the day.

Screenshot_20200310-131948_Gallery.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the design is simple or plain at all! My preference is to leave the gallery as is to allow easy access for cleaning. Given the tilted halo design, you probably won't see much of the gallery.

As for milgraine, although I love it, for me, the lines are very clean and "soft" enough so I would not add milgraine.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Sorry about the blue”
No - do not be sorry :)
Lovely stone! Tell us more about it as well!

Have you seen @whitewave DK yellow sapphire floral cluster?
She’s got her CAD posted here somewhere - and it’s somewhat similar style. Maybe seeing her CADs compared to the finished product will help you decide on some details?

I love :love: the yellow gold/platinum mix you have going on in the cad - so that mix is a definite “yes” from me!

Edited to add whitewaves thread with cad and finished ring :love:

Last edited:

remetau

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the input.

@Rfisher it's a 4.12 ct 9.77 x 7.89 7.05 AGL heat only I purchased from Dana at Mastercut. Not his cut. Bad quality, but here is a short video from my phone:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg the blue color is perfect!! I love the design and dont think the gallery is too plain at all. I love milgrain so I would do it, but up to you. I also like 2 tone rings, and think the blue sapphire would pop nicely with both colors.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That last photo was before I had the prongs lengthened.

remetau

Rough_Rock
I'm probably no help but sharing mine since it's 18K yellow gold and platinum to to give you an idea of the coloring - I love the mixed metals.

Very pretty. I do love the mixed metals. My wife loves yellow gold and the mix with it and platinum as do I.

remetau

Rough_Rock
Good day all,

I still haven’t set this sapphire due to COVID and us remaining where we are. In the meantime, I’ve had DK make some changes to the design to enclose the gallery, use rounds instead of baguette on the shoulder, go with 10 prongs and share for the diamonds, use OEC for the diamonds, and then added a ruby and emerald to each side of the shank.

We have lived on and cruised our sailboat for the past 15 years, and since the sapphire reminds me of the ocean and boating is such a big part of our lives, I wanted to incorporate something in that regards. So, I decided to add the little ruby and emerald to represent the port and starboard lights on a boat. This is a gift to her as a rhr and not an engagement ring.

Are the ruby and emeralds tacky and take away from the ring?

58796-QUAD-13[1486].jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good day all,

I still haven’t set this sapphire due to COVID and us remaining where we are. In the meantime, I’ve had DK make some changes to the design to enclose the gallery, use rounds instead of baguette on the shoulder, go with 10 prongs and share for the diamonds, use OEC for the diamonds, and then added a ruby and emerald to each side of the shank.

We have lived on and cruised our sailboat for the past 15 years, and since the sapphire reminds me of the ocean and boating is such a big part of our lives, I wanted to incorporate something in that regards. So, I decided to add the little ruby and emerald to represent the port and starboard lights on a boat. This is a gift to her as a rhr and not an engagement ring.

Are the ruby and emeralds tacky and take away from the ring?

58796-QUAD-13[1486].jpg

omg no, not tacky! They are tiny details that will be really meaningful to you two and not noticeable by others. I love stuff like that because it's so sweet. I am trash at CADs, but I prefer this version because you have all gold prongs around the center (and I think the other version was alternating gold and platinum, which I liked less). I don't mind mixed metals at all, but I would want prongs around a single stone to be a single color.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, 15 years aboard a sailboat! My husband's dream! He follows YouTube blogs of people that sail for years. I'd love to say I could do that but I am not great on the water whatsoever and now that we are nearing retirement, we have healthcare concerns so we live vicariously through people like you. We just day-sail for the most part but anyway....I love the idea of the lights that you chose and that will be so sentimental to her.

remetau

Rough_Rock
@lmyracle thank you. We do love being on the water but it has got tougher as we have gotten older. We're now looking at land back stateside to split our time so we can spend more time with our grandchildren and rest of family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results