shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice on solitaire settings please!

OCDnovice

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

So my bf and I picked out my perfect diamond today, I don't want to jinx anything so I'll only share the carat weight, which is 1.68 round brilliant, so you guys can give educated opinions on the setting. Now that I've picked out my perfect diamond I need to give the jeweler more information on the setting I want him to design for me. We decided to put most of our money into the quality of the diamond and keep the band classic and pretty plain because we can always upgrade the setting a few years down the line. It will have to be platinum because I have a nickel allergy.
I had previously decided I want a tapered band with a six prong head similar to Tiffany's signature setting. The reason I originally like the taper was because it puts emphasis on the diamond and makes it easy to design a wedding band to sit flush later on. However, now that I’m looking around I think I may want a classic tiffany setting without any taper. I’m not sure if one would be more durable or stronger than another? Also, I have no idea about platinum and what’s good quality and what isn’t etc. So if you guys have opinions on taper versus classic tiffany setting or any advice on making sure the platinum is good quality please share! I posted pics of Tiffany’s signature setting

and a Damiani setting that has the shape and amount of taper I would like (I really hate the head on that one though!).

Thanks everyone! :confused:

Attachments

• damiani.tiff
    127.3 KB · Views: 419
  • Tiffany setting top.tiff
    75.7 KB · Views: 418

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/[/URL] Take a look through here and see if anything catches your eye. A lot of us (PSers) have been on here staring at solitaire settings for years and we've seen the good, bad and ugly and have picked our favorites in that thread. Maybe in will help you out.

I like the taper... what do you think of this ring? http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Mark_S_Petite-SB_7.73mm_SZ4.5_/slides/Mark_S_Petite-SB_7.73mm_SZ4.5_001.html (there are 6 pics of it, click through the pics) With a 1.7 stone

or this one? http://www.mwmjewelry.com//D_P_SunBurst_1.523ct_Sz5_/slides/D_P_SunBurst_1.523ct_Sz5_001.html (there are numerous pics of this one as well) with a 1.5 stone.

Mark creates each ring individually and he is very much a perfectionist and the finish on his rings is unmatched. Many PSers consider his to be among the best 6 prongs available anywhere.

OCDnovice

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to that thread and those recommendations, Gypsy! Wow he does do beautiful work! I'm having lots of fun in that solitaire thread :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a non-taper girl myself... But it's totally a matter of what you like best. Have you tried different solitaire settings on yourself??

OCDnovice

Rough_Rock
I have, but I wasn't really looking for non-tapered before, now I have to make a decision so he can make my wax mold!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1315747124|3014966 said:
I'm a non-taper girl myself... But it's totally a matter of what you like best. Have you tried different solitaire settings on yourself??

Definitely try on some solitaire settings, with and without wedding bands, so you get an idea of how it will look/feel. There are small differences, but if you find an element you really like or don't like (for ex. cathedral or basket settings) then you can hone in on a style you'll love forever. Also, some really like a gap between their solitaire and wedding band, and some want things to sit flush. If you're a 'flush' kind of gal, then you can just avoid settings that don't allow for a regular straight band to sit flush and keep your band options wide open.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results