carat
color
clarity

Opinions: 1.00 CARAT I-SI1 EXCELLENT CUT ROUND DIAMOND

mphikla

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Can anyone give me their opinion on the 2 diamonds below:

I'd need it shipped to Australia, so after taxes the James Allen ring would end up cheaper. I live in Melbourne so won't be able to see the diamond from GS directly.

Both look fairly decent to me.

What are your general thoughts and also opinions on colour (would the yellowness be noticeable?), amount of fire, value, etc.

My budget is from $6000-$7500 for complete ring.

Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mphikla I will let the experts here comment on the stats. I’m somewhat color sensitive so I will comment on the color. To my eyes it’s a beautiful diamond with a brown undertone as opposed to yellow. I think the color will look white to the eye. I would ask to see the GIA certificate..Hopefully others will chime in about the stats..

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put the JA stone on hold. You need to request the GIA report (and post) for the JA stone. Ask if you can get an idealscope or aset image for it.

The GS stone looks pretty nice and has decent numbers. An idealscope (or Aset) image would tell a little more if you can get them.

mphikla

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Got a bit of info on the JA.

cert.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 12.08.59 am.png

I've emailed GS for the same.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does have some leakage under the table (the white-ish areas between the arrows under the table.) It is also a tad deep so you are losing a little
face-up size (well-cut 1-carat rounds are usually around 6.4- 6.45).

I also want to point this out, it may or may not bother you, it has an etched channel which I believe means that it has been clarity enhanced. This
is a permanent enhancement (not like filling a feather). Anyway, I suggest you do some research and make sure you are ok with that.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
JA one is a bit deep, only VG symmetry, and a steep crown angle for that pavilion angle - I guess that’s why it’s showing leakage. Also has some inclusions that I wouldn’t be keen on....particularly etched channel as mentioned above.

The GS one looks better, but might be worth reading the thread on fluorescence, given it’s listed as strong blue.

In terms of the question on colour, the response is quite individual so you probably need to see a few in person. I found that I didn’t like I colour, but was ok with G.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a stone Is clarity enhanced it will say so on the gia cert, right? This one doesn't, so I assume it's not. Either way, the cut of the JA stone isn't great, so I wouldn't choose that one.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Could an etch channel not attract dirt in the same way as a cavity can - and/or pose durability issues?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is cut too deep. The diameter is too small for being a 1ct stone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

mphikla

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your responses. So seems like the general consensus is to forget about the JA diamond and look elsewhere. Unfortunately GS have not emailed me back as yet, so the search continues. I'm seriously considering upping my budget a little to accomodate for a better diamond.

What I am searching for now is:
G-H Colour
Ideal Cut
At least 6.4- 6.45 diameter
At least SI1
Faint or lower florescent
Obviously eye clean

My untrained eyes are seriously finding hard to determine which diamonds fall within this range with budget in mind.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

In the meantime I'll be searching (difficult when the GF is always around) and hopefully come back with some to consider asking for your advice.

mphikla

Rough_Rock
Quick question I forgot to ask. On Bluenile's website, the price states it includes GST. Has anyone imported an Engagement ring from them to Australia? What extra charges did you have to pay on arrival?

On another note, GS messaged me back stating they would not recommend that particular diamond saying that it is not eye clean and suggested this one instead (which is a step up in price): https://www.gsdiamonds.com.au/diamonds/product/LJ54-9833470159_1406339

mission1

Shiny_Rock
That latest one is an I colour, which is below your target. Do you have a gauge of whether your girlfriend will be colour sensitive?

Might be worth dropping your carat size to just under 1 carat, to increase your options. It’s difficult to see the size difference between a well cut 0.9ct next to a 1ct, even when next to each other.

Is your $6000-$7500 budget in USD, not AUD? I guess it probably is - what’s your AUD budget for the diamond itself?

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I think you might have to drop down colour or carat, or increase your budget. Would need to confirm if it’s eyeclean, but this might be worth asking about - under budget (I’m guessing), nice proportions, in your colour and clarity targets:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a stone Is clarity enhanced it will say so on the gia cert, right? This one doesn't, so I assume it's not. Either way, the cut of the JA stone isn't great, so I wouldn't choose that one.

After some research, looks like the report would say "Laser Drill Hole" under the "Key to Symbols" label if it is lasered drilled. So, the Etched Channel
is a naturally occurring inclusion!

mphikla

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the late reply guys. It's difficult keeping my searches away from the missus. Looks like I'll be looking at upping my budget a little.hat are your thoughts on the 2 below diamonds?

Blue Nile pricing seems to be the most competitive. My only concern is they do not offer Idealscopes on any of the diamonds I'm looking at.

One thing I'd like to clear up is Blue Niles pricing. Can someone who has bought from them and shipped to Australia comment on any additional costs involved. They state on their site that their prices include GST. Does this mean I'd only need to pay duty and an entry on top of the purchase price?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results