shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this diamond

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock

Trying to snag an engagement ring before the sale ends tonight and not much time left. How does this look?
22002590-DE43-4D66-9814-F00FEF8D3C18.jpeg

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I actually ended up purchasing this one. From the research I’ve done I thought the ideal scope image looked great, even though it scored 2.6 on HCA and has less than ideal proportions I always read that scope images trump HCA. Not too late to cancel, how did I do?

818D503D-06BD-4A17-AF31-3941593D7BA2.jpeg C5B2DAA4-56D9-4AF9-B0FA-8665DBE37DE9.jpeg ,

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The aset image on the .9 looks better but when I look at the stones I like the 1.02 better:confused:.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
The aset image on the .9 looks better but when I look at the stones I like the 1.02 better:confused:.

Does the .9 still look like a good diamond to you?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @tyty333, the 1.02 is aesthetically more pleasing to my eyes. Smaller table, fatter arrows and more contrast with nice faceting in the video. To me, it appears the IS image of this stone is overly backlight and not as leaky as it appears.

The IS image of the 0.90 is fairly solid. It does appear there is a little leakage around the 10 o'clock position but it looks minor to me.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
Agree with @tyty333, the 1.02 is aesthetically more pleasing to my eyes. Smaller table, fatter arrows and more contrast with nice faceting in the video. To me, it appears the IS image of this stone is overly backlight and not as leaky as it appears.

The IS image of the 0.90 is fairly solid. It does appear there is a little leakage around the 10 o'clock position but it looks minor to me.

Thanks for the reply. At first I was looking at diamonds in the 1 carat range, but then moved down to .9 because of the massive price range. So I guess you’re saying that the .9 is still a diamond you would recommend, but the 1.02 is better. I think I’ll stick with it and bring it to an independent appraiser. I’ll have 30 days to return the ring if I don’t like it

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So here's my take... the I color stone has noticeable tint, whereas the H does not. The VERY, VERY slight leakage spot on the one you purchased is so insignificant in my view that it really isn't worth mentioning, short of people giving you their interpretation of the image which is just a factual observation but as far as it affecting performance I feel it is a non-issue. I think the one you purchased is pretty, but I'm not a huge fan of the thicker arrows, I prefer something a bit more delicate. It's really personal preference. I think if one is drawn to the thicker arrows, the first stone is a knock-out. Also, once you aren't comparing stones, you will soon forget any of the ones you saw but didn't purchase. With regard to the one you DID purchase, has anyone else here noticed that there are small black inclusions visible? I don't know if that will be seen to the naked eye, but it is definitely there. What was the HCA for the one you didn't buy? For me, if what I am seeing as black inclusions on the one you bought will not be visible in real life size, I prefer that one because the color is just obviously better in my view and I think the stone is pretty. An appraiser isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know about the stone. You have a GIA report. It is really whether you are happy with its real life appearance and performance of which you will soon find out.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
Thank you headlight! I asked someone at James Allen if it is eye clean and they said yes. Only thing that has me concerned now is that someone on reddit said that the one I purchased is a “brown H color” does anyone else see that? He posted links to other diamonds but I couldn’t see much difference in color

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@sledge what do you think about this brown issue?
I am not familiar with this.
However, let's now think about it in comparison to the stone you didn't get... what is the HCA on the one you didn't get? Do you have a copy of the lab report for that one? Can you contact JA and switch your purchase before they send it out? What is the price difference? The one you didn't get IS larger. Your girl may like that better and also the fact that it is legit over a carat. It will look as such.
What does everyone else here think? Should OP switch and go with the larger one??? I'm just worried that this "brown" comment will also haunt....

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
So the issue is that I decided that the larger stone was just too much more money. My girl said she would be more than happy with a .5 carat so I know she will be thrilled with the .9. I can’t pull the trigger on the larger stone but if anyone can find a better quality .9 that would be awesome as I can swap it out. Already asked a James Allen rep and they said it would be ok

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I understand.
I am sure others here would love to help you find an alternative... there are many here who are excellent at it and give generously of their time.
However, why don't you let JA do their job and earn their profit/commission and ask THEM to find you some alternates that fit the requirements??!!!

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I will, I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this diamond first. As long as others don’t notice the brown issue I’ll probably stick with it

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Clearly we don't want to confuse the issue. However, it is always good to have options so you know you've made the right decision for your needs.
Hopefully others on this thread will chime in and give you their opinion on this stone. Since you didn't say outright that the larger one was not within budget, people were comparing the 2 against each other. So let's get that out of everyone's mind since that isn't part of the conversation. With that said, do you think you should see if there is at least one other to consider? Take the one you have here now as the one to beat? Do talk to JA about giving you an alternative to choose from in comparison to the one you purchased that they have not yet shipped out. And hopefully others can help source another option from JA, as well. I do understand the time press regarding the sale. Did you ask JA about the "brown" issue? Who was this on reddit? I am not familiar....

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
James Allen’s char is having a lot of issues right now so I’ll have to wait until later to ask all the questions I need to. I did find this other diamond that scored a 1.3 on HCA but it has medium blue fluorescence, thoughts? I’ll have to wait to get the ideal scope image

B8E7AF30-9702-48E6-B447-974F267E646D.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it has a lot going for it. I think the FL would serve in the positive.
Have you considered a nice SI1 in a G color? Not sure you could get an F, but why don't you look at SI1s and see what you can get in terms of higher color with good proportions.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I started off looking at SI1 but almost every report I read had “clouds not shown” and that scared me off because I don’t want a hazy diamond since light performance is my main priority. Do you think the one with fluorescence beats the original .9? Definitely has a better HCA score but lacks the ideal scope image which is concerning

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Try to get the scope image and also inquire about the influence/visual of the FL... do they have the stone there to see it???
Also, ask THEM to find you a nice SI1 in a color higher than H in your price range!

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
They said that the diamond is over seas so the only way to get an image would be to buy it and have it shipped to NY to be looked at

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Ask them what they have in-house in your price range in the approx parameters you are seeking that they can give you images for as well as what they can look at and give you feedback on for your questions.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did find this other diamond that scored a 1.3 on HCA but it has medium blue fluorescence, thoughts? I’ll have to wait to get the ideal scope image
Nothing wrong with MBF. Don't let people scare you.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I just talked to another rep and there wasn’t much in my price range with scope images. I looked at a few but I saw a good bit more leakage than the original .9. It seems like most .9 carat don’t have scope images. I guess I will wait and try a little later and see if others chime in. Still concerned about the “brown issue” of the first one as well as clouds on the report. And the no scope image for the second one has me hesitant about it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Are you now committed to going with JA? I wonder if you would do better shopping elsewhere.

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I’m pretty committed because they have the setting that she wants and I got $400 off of it on the sale last night

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I spoke to one of JA’s gemologists and she said that the original .9 is nowhere close to “brown” and the cloud is very insignificant

headlight

Ideal_Rock
understand.
So right now your 2 options, as you see it, are the two .90 ct. stones?
I see that for the 1st one, the grade setting inclusion is cloud, yet it is a VS2. I really hate the reports under 1 ct. because we don't get a plot. Obviously for the other stone given it is a VVS2 with the grade setting characteristic being a pinpoint you should feel assured on the clarity.
You are looking at HCA of 2.6 vs 1.3... and 35.5 with 40.6 is a better combo than 35.5 with 40.8, hence I would imagine contributing to why the 2nd one got a better HCA. I think that at this point we may be splitting hairs. As I said earlier, once you have your (her) diamond, you will forget about all the others. The fluorescence SHOULD give the H a more colorless effect in certain lighting.
I still want to know who said this comment about the brown diamond and what is their knowledge base?
And herein lies the downside of buying diamonds off the internet vs at a B & M jeweler.
Your gut must be telling you something. So either go with the first .90, or take a chance and go with the 2nd one.
My eyes are hurting looking back between the 2. I wish someone else would give their impression.
I feel like you should go with the 2nd one but you need to go with your gut which I think is the first as you feel more confident knowing you have an image.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I spoke to one of JA’s gemologists and she said that the original .9 is nowhere close to “brown” and the cloud is very insignificant

What is her feeling between the specs on the 2nd one versus this one? What does she say about the MF? What about the black spec you can see on the magnified first one vs the other being VVS2? What does she say about the differences in pavilion and crown angles between the 2 stones?

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
She said that MF wouldn’t be noticeable unless under UV light. She said that she likes the angles and light performance of the one with MF. She even told me how beautiful she thought it was. I took a chance and changed my order. Thanks for all of your help, it’s very much appreciated

headlight

Ideal_Rock
GREAT choice! Great job. PLEASE come back and post the final ring!

Tmb2087

Rough_Rock
I definitely will!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said that MF wouldn’t be noticeable unless under UV light. She said that she likes the angles and light performance of the one with MF. She even told me how beautiful she thought it was. I took a chance and changed my order. Thanks for all of your help, it’s very much appreciated
You definitely sound more confident about this diamond choice -- and you were able to snag the sale price on a setting you're also certain she will love. So WOOHOO and kudos to you; I'm sure your wife-to-be will be greatly touched by your care and attentiveness the ring reflects! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results