shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on new EC - good cut?

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Long time listener, first time caller.

I am thrilled because I got my dream ring - an emerald and trap 3 stone ring. I have a week or so left on the return policy and I think j I’m overthinking this but value everyone’s opinions here so wanted to post.

I’ve always loved vintage cuts so was drawn to the emerald because I love their depth and contrast (old euros are another favorite of mine for the same reason). I found this emerald for a great price but now I’m worried that it has too many steps that turn off at once - or does that also just contribute to its depth and fire?

Attaching a photo here as well as linking some videos below - also including the specs!

I would love your thoughts on the cut of this diamond - I don’t have a lot of experience with larger emerald cuts so it may be that most emeralds have this look from some angle, and straight down it’s not dark and there’s no windowing that I can see. Am I overthinking this (a common problem I have... ha!) Thanks!

GIA Certified
Carat: 2.53
Color: I
Clarity: Vs1
Depth: 67.4%
Table: 61%
Polish and Symmetry both excellent
No fluorescence

First video from the day I got it (perfectly clean - ha!)
video 1 (lots of sunlight, white background)
video 2 (darker light, darker background)
Photo straight on:

61B46BAC-9387-47D1-9BD3-F8FA7A6EFD38.jpeg

Last edited:

EClove

Shiny_Rock
It looks good, the keel is balanced for the LxW ratio. Some leakage dead center as we can see your finger - not sure how bad that is in real life?
You cant get an ASET image?

Thanks Garry! I really appreciate your response! I currently have the ring in my possession so I suppose I could take it to a jeweler to get an ASET image but not sure how feasible that is right now. There is some leakage but wondering if that contrast is what drew me to this stone to begin with? I linked some videos above, not sure if that helps your trained eye?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not a fan it has weak light return in the center with some leakage and is not very flashy.
Has some p3 issues which is the likely cause:

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Not a fan it has weak light return in the center with some leakage and is not very flashy.
Has some p3 issues which is the likely cause:

Thanks Karl! This is so so helpful - I was afraid this is the case. Between your comment and Garry's I just emailed the jeweler to start the process to exchange the diamond. They state they have a 30 day return policy that I confirmed via email before purchasing, and I'm 14 days in.

Thanks again gentlemen. I'll ask for the ASET this time!!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K, @Garry H (Cut Nut) Thanks again - I founder another diamond, a little more expensive and a little longer l/w ratio but in the online video doesn't seem to have the same dark patch in the center (see photo). They're bringing in the diamond and will send me face up photos and the ASET. This one also seems to have a slight longer keel and a medium girdle vs thick to v thick last time. I'm a newbie here so not sure if that matters.

Emerald Cut
9.36 x 6.50 x 4.39 mm
Carat Weight 2.58
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS 1
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE

emerald 2.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok so far ping me when you have more info inc. depth and table size and video link.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Just a note to request FD put that on hold for you, if it isn’t already? I noticed I could still “add to my cart” :)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious to hear what the experts say. I think that is a great looking diamond!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Got an ASET image (posted below) today for that stone (video here) and specs below:
Emerald Cut
9.36 x 6.50 x 4.39 mm
Carat Weight 2.58
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS 1
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
Length/Width Ratio 1.44
Depth 67.5%
Table 64%

And the gemologist I spoke with said it's a really bright diamond and the cut looks great. What are your thoughts (especially @Karl_K and @Garry H (Cut Nut))? IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1229 2.jpg

Throwing in a bit of a curveball here - found one more diamond that I'm considering as it's about $1000 cheaper. It is being shipped from overseas so don't have the ASET yet, but will get it before I have to make a decision. It's a smaller diamond but faces up about the same, less deep and a wider table.

Carat Weight 2.41
9.21mm x 6.45mm x 4.21mm
Cut Super Ideal
Color I
Clarity VS1
Length/Width Ratio 1.43
Depth 65.3%
Table 67%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None

Is this diamond potentially too shallow, or is it worth waiting to see the ASET before making a decision.

Thank you all so so much!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're looking at the two youtube videos they're of same diamond :)

Oh! That's so funny! I thought the diamond looked much darker in the first video. Maybe it's just different lighting. I still like how it looks in the second video.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I've been waiting for Garry and Karl to comment because I hate being wrong, lol. I liked the first one in fact, but once they pointed out how the very center facets were angled wrong I could see it. This one seems to have great light return. The faceting doesn't seem so lively but I think it a factor of the way it's being tilted in the video. How do you like it?

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I've been waiting for Garry and Karl to comment because I hate being wrong, lol. I liked the first one in fact, but once they pointed out how the very center facets were angled wrong I could see it. This one seems to have great light return. The faceting doesn't seem so lively but I think it a factor of the way it's being tilted in the video. How do you like it?

Yes! I thought the first diamond was okay from photos (I didn’t know what I didn’t know) but once I got it it felt really dead when looking straight down on it. I don’t feel like I would have that problem with this one but again, I am clearly not an expert I do feel like this new one doesn’t have the dark middle that was bothering me so much.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone! Got an ASET image (posted below) today for that stone (video here) and specs below:
Emerald Cut
9.36 x 6.50 x 4.39 mm
Carat Weight 2.58
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS 1
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
Length/Width Ratio 1.44
Depth 67.5%
Table 64%

And the gemologist I spoke with said it's a really bright diamond and the cut looks great. What are your thoughts (especially @Karl_K and @Garry H (Cut Nut))? IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1229 2.jpg
That is not how ASET images are taken lol
Garry has a tutorial video on how to take them i believe that you can pass on to him.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Which stone are the videos for?
It is way to close to the camera particularly in the first one.

Thanks for the info regarding the ASET, I’ll look for the video from Garry.

Edited: found the video! Super helpful and will be passing this along. Appreciate your patience with newbies like me. Linking the video below in case anyone comes along this thread and is looking for the same info.

and the videos are for the 2.58 stone that the “ASET” is for.

Video from Garry:

Last edited:

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again, everyone! Here's a video of light return. To my untrained eye this is looking good to me - lots of red and it seems to flash well.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Alright I know have some comparison images! the wider ratio diamond is the old diamond, and the longer ratio diamond is the new one. Specs are pretty similar - old: 2.53, I, VS1 vs new: 2.58, H, VS1. I am considering the newer diamond (2.58, right diamond in both these images) or this new one that just popped up. It looks like it might be a little deep in cut but flashes well in the video. If it's worth it, I would see if I could bring this one in for a comparison as well.

2.53 Left - 2.58 Right.jpg 2.53 Left - 2.58 Right (1).jpg

And some comparison videos:

Video 1:
Video 2:

@Karl_K and @Garry H (Cut Nut), you have already been VERY generous with your time, and if you have a moment, I would certainly value your input here!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Alright I know have some comparison images! the wider ratio diamond is the old diamond, and the longer ratio diamond is the new one. Specs are pretty similar - old: 2.53, I, VS1 vs new: 2.58, H, VS1. I am considering the newer diamond (2.58, right diamond in both these images) or this new one that just popped up. It looks like it might be a little deep in cut but flashes well in the video. If it's worth it, I would see if I could bring this one in for a comparison as well.

I really like the new one you have on the right. I think it looks better than the new one you linked to and i'm pretty confident it'll look better in person as well. It also has a better ratio than the old one on the left and better symmetry.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ASET images are a wash when you factor tilt and placement in the scope. Both being in the scope at the same time gives a distorted aset color map.
That said even if better taken it is likely to be a wash.
Taking the over obstruction and different tilts in video they are both a wash also.
So it comes down to which l/w you prefer then check it out under a return policy in your own environment.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
ASET images are a wash when you factor tilt and placement in the scope. Both being in the scope at the same time gives a distorted aset color map.
That said even if better taken it is likely to be a wash.
Taking the over obstruction and different tilts in video they are both a wash also.
So it comes down to which l/w you prefer then check it out under a return policy in your own environment.

Thank you for your response, @Karl_K!!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all your guidance, everyone! Ring came today and I'm so happy with it. This EC has a lively center and seems to have much better facets. I also prefer the slightly longer dimensions! Really grateful for this community!
IMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_2928.jpeg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
It’s stunning!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That is one gorgeous ring! Enjoy it.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all your guidance, everyone! Ring came today and I'm so happy with it. This EC has a lively center and seems to have much better facets. I also prefer the slightly longer dimensions! Really grateful for this community!
IMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_2928.jpeg

OH MY GOSH THAT IS GORGEOUS!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results