shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on going from solitaire to three stone

P

Petalouda

0DDA9DC9-BF61-42DC-BD3A-EA849F247A66.jpeg 25FCE49D-E5A2-4804-8372-512D15FA3DC4.jpeg 1F060D16-A9B1-4BFB-9FD9-6803E209A304.jpeg 0E9D42E1-A172-4CB4-8B56-1BA54EFA0A88.jpeg 31284481-2F93-4A19-8DAD-968249908575.png 673E01B0-3599-4726-891A-90D370C65E70.jpeg Hi Pricescopers!

I am contemplating on having my Tiffany solitaire converted to a three stone. My diamond is a 1.37 G VVS. I have attached photos of my solitaire. I went to Tiffany’s and tried on a 1.65 H vs1 solitaire with pear sides. This is the style I’m eyeing but with my center stone. I have attached photos of the three stone as well. All opinions and comments welcome!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about doing this exact same thing with my 1.29ct solitaire. Can't wait to hear everyone else weigh in. You may want to move this to Rocky Talky to get more traffic :)

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitaire is elegant and classic, but so is a 3 stone. I personally love the pic of the 3 stone.

I've had solitaires, halos, and 3 stone rings. I think changing it up is part of the fun!

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Side pears would be really pretty! Maybe it's the viewing angle, but your solitaire actually looks bigger than Tiffany's!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve done it and prefer it. I started with a 1.3 ct solitaire and added about 0.8 ctw pears later. Three stone rings are really my preference though so I’m biased.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lydial is right, but you could always scale back on the size of your side stones.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love rounds with pear side stones - I know someone IRL who has that and it's beautiful. A lot of times when I see a picture of a ring and love it, it's a round & pear combo. That said, I was thinking totally go for it until I scrolled down more saw your solitaire pictures. Your solitaire is gorgeous! Something about it is stunning, and the pictures of it grabbed me far more than the pear sidetones pics.

Good luck deciding! No matter which way you go, you have/will have gorgeous ring!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this (different stones though) and am very very happy :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ER is a solitaire and my anniversary ring is a 3-stone with sapphires. I have to say each has its pluses. I really do like a 3 stone with colored stones for contrast. Rubies might be nice ;))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a three stone with rounds and really love it. If you have an original Tiffany setting, it would be a difficult decision to tear the ring apart though. Would Tiffany's reset the ring with pears or would you go with another vendor?
My only word of caution is that once you have the finger coverage of a three stone, it might be hard to return to a solitaire. Such a different look but I love the three stones balanced across the top of the finger. For me, I think it looks better on my finger than a solitaire but I still see some gorgeous solitaire settings here that I love as well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I debate about doing that a lot. I will say that I do like the example with the pears and the 1.6 center on you a lot. But I don't think I'd like it as well with a smaller center, to be honest. But as someone else mentioned, will Tiffany do this for you? That's great if they will.

P

Petalouda

Thank you for all your insights! Tiffany will indeed change the setting for me. I’m in the process of receiving a quote. I do agree my stone shines bright and people frequently think it’s larger than it is. I also do like the finger coverage the three stone gives. I have the same worry diamond seeker that my stone may not be large enough. My understanding is Tiffany will scale the pears to the center stone size.

Has anyone ever regretted going to a three stone?

Wewechew - how can I move a thread?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it is awesome that Tiffany will do this for you, I had no idea. WITH THAT SAID... I think you should keep your soli. It looks great on you and I love how you've stacked it with the other bands. To me that looks like "more" than doing the 3 stone with the side pears. JMO. Clearly both options are fabulous in and of themselves... and being both Tiffany is like living the dream. But I just love the soli on you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love both options and the fact that Tiffany will do it for you is great. Like @headlight though I think the solitaire is just perfect in every way. Not that I don't love that 3 stone with the side pears. That's dreamy too. But if I had to choose between the 2 I would go for your solitaire. But it's your ring and your preferences and as you know there is no right or wrong. Just beautiful bling no matter which way you go.:love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's something about a round with pear sides that is sooo classic and beautiful, but with this particular cut combo I think it's important for the pears not to be too large because you run the risk of the sides blending visually with the center, which can make your center look smaller than it really is.

I used to own a round with pears and, looking back, I now feel that the pears were a tad too large - it was a 3.5ct round with pear sides that were .57ct each (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kristydarlings-3-stone-by-leon-mege.44363/). It resulted in an "eye" shape that meant the center stone didn't pop as much. If I could do this ring over, I would've used .4 or even .3ct sides.

That said, if you don't mind the eye shape and you're looking for more finger coverage, then the proportions in your photo is the way to go! Personally, I love your solitaire the way it is and wouldn't change it. (though if it were me, I might be tempted to add round diamond side stones, or better yet, sapphire round side stones -- Tiffany does those so well!!!)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the round with pears is very femine, lovely and distinctive, I think the solitaire is Tiffany! I like them both, If you want more bling, why not reset the stone (or a new stone) into a pave setting?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is really beautiful and it does look fabulous on your hand, but I just happen to love the three stone with pear sides. It’s a gorgeous combination. Personally I’d go for the three stone, but only with Tiffany making it for you.
Good Luck and enjoy....whatever you decide.

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
I say go for it...looks wonderful. :love::clap:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I actually love both, but with a 3 stone, I'd inclined to have a bezel somehow, to frame or shape to the stones. But I love the solitaire look with the Perle/ball ring. I think it makes a nice contrast.

P

Petalouda

8846CA3A-5404-4247-8C93-531342AFB2B6.jpeg 973BC0B1-375C-48B2-954F-C7E30E3BAC8B.jpeg E40AD1A1-9886-4FCE-AB7F-54E26CC177FA.jpeg Thank you all so much!!! So much to take into consideration and I thank you for your input. I don’t want the cat eye look either @KristyDarling. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I had my ring resized and it arrived today so I took a few more photos of my ring, the round with pear and tried on the round with round sides as well @dreamer_dachsie and I also tried on the round with sapphire sides.

P

Petalouda

I actually love both, but with a 3 stone, I'd inclined to have a bezel somehow, to frame or shape to the stones. But I love the solitaire look with the Perle/ball ring. I think it makes a nice contrast.

I agree! The perlee is an amazing ring. So versatile! It looks amazing with my Steven Kirsch emerald cut eternity band and I want another one to place on the other side of the band. Such a versatile ring.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I agree! The perlee is an amazing ring. So versatile! It looks amazing with my Steven Kirsch emerald cut eternity band and I want another one to place on the other side of the band. Such a versatile ring.

I have the Tiffany "version" and totally agree. It is such a versatile look that I want it in another size for another finger because I like it so much!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
8846CA3A-5404-4247-8C93-531342AFB2B6.jpeg 973BC0B1-375C-48B2-954F-C7E30E3BAC8B.jpeg E40AD1A1-9886-4FCE-AB7F-54E26CC177FA.jpeg Thank you all so much!!! So much to take into consideration and I thank you for your input. I don’t want the cat eye look either @KristyDarling. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I had my ring resized and it arrived today so I took a few more photos of my ring, the round with pear and tried on the round with round sides as well @dreamer_dachsie and I also tried on the round with sapphire sides.

Of the two 3 stone looks you have in here so far, if you go move to a 3 stone, I really like the round with round sides look on you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the side rounds would work better, because I think it's best when the side pears are curving to the side rather than sitting on top of the finger. I'd probably do around .30 sides with your center stone (not as big as the sides are on the Tiffany ring). If there is any chance you'd ever upgrade the solitaire, I'd do nothing now. Because your side option preferences might change later depending on the size of the center. As others have said, your diamond looks great in the classic solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results