shape
carat
color
clarity

opinion on asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I had read post after post and still cant get a feel for a good looking asscher. Hope you all do not mind all of the inquiries.

Also, a while back you were talking about spread. What does it mean when someone comments on the spread of an asscher, is there an ideal spread to look for?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=976288

the under side of the table looks light, i am not sure if that is a bad thing, i know you dont want to go too dark under the table. but if it is too light maybe the mile of mirrors look wont be pronounced so much.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no there isn't an ideal spread for asschers.
What you can do is look at similar weight asschers to see the range it should be close too.
If you like spread asschers aren't for you so be reasonable :}

way too much back lighting coming in so cant tell much from the photo but it doesn't look that promising to me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 9:47:11 PM
Author:Gwyn

Also, a while back you were talking about spread. What does it mean when someone comments on the spread of an asscher, is there an ideal spread to look for?
It means how big it faces up.

And strm is right, Asschers are beautiful, but face up much smaller for their ct. weight than most other stones. So, if you''re wanting a stone to take up a lot of space on your finger, you might want to consider putting a halo around the Asscher, if your heart is set on one, or choose a stone that''s a little more spready.
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2007 9:47:11 PM
Author:Gwyn
I had read post after post and still cant get a feel for a good looking asscher. Hope you all do not mind all of the inquiries.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=976288

the under side of the table looks light, i am not sure if that is a bad thing, i know you dont want to go too dark under the table. but if it is too light maybe the mile of mirrors look wont be pronounced so much.
I may be wrong..., but I have a feeling that the last step (culet step) is to shallow...
Thats what is looks like from the image...

Need to see with the eyes!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 8:44:57 AM
Author: DiaGem
I may be wrong..., but I have a feeling that the last step (culet step) is to shallow...
Thats what is looks like from the image...

Need to see with the eyes!!!!
Thats what it looks like too me too.
Could just be the back lighting but it don''t look promising.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Gwyn, I know totally what you mean. With RB's, cut parameters are pretty well-defined and most angles/dimensions can be specified down to a gnat's eyelash. Asschers just have WAY too many variables.

That said, the most important thing is seeing the diamond in person and judging whether you like it. The James Allen asscher is a 4-step cut. I like the size of the windmills on this stone. I'm not sure, but I think you like these wide windmills too, right? Maybe it's worth checking out.

Remember these are *diamonds* we are talking about, so most likely, the stone will be beautiful. What is optimally beautiful can be a matter of personal taste.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gwyn...

As to the spread question, as I am one of the people who commented on the spread of the last diamond you posted. Storm is right, it''s a matter of comparing like to like. That''s why in my post to you I mentioned my own asscher and Kaleigh''s as reference points for my opinion on the spread of that stone.

Mine is a 1.09 and Kaleigh''s is just under a carat. My measurements are 5.89 x 5.87 and Kaleigh''s are very close to mine. So when you posted the 1.2 carat... I thought that since you are paying for a 1.2 weight... you should get more size than you would when paying for a 1.0 (ish) carat weight.

As a general rule, when I browse asschers I''m more interested in MM size than carat weight.... bang for buck as it were.

If $X, 000 is a reasonable price for a 1.2 carat stone. And $X, 000 - 700-800 is a reasonable price for a 1.0 carat asscher... I would rather save the 700 or so dollars and put it toward my setting if they are going to face up the same visually. That''s all I was saying.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I understand now. When you say spread you are talking actual size. I wasnt sure if you were referring to ratio or something. Re-reading your post it all totally makes sense now! thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results