shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on a chrysoberyl

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I've already purchased this - and (I hope) it's close to being on its way, but could you guys let me know what you think about it? It's from one of Tan's stores, so supposedly the photos are meant to be pretty accurate?

Chrysoberyl
1.52 ct
Cushion-Portuguese
VVS 1
No Treatment

screenshot_1.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi sonyachanc: Its always a bit harder to respond to these types of requests knowing that you've already purchased the stone - what kind of info were you hoping we'd provide? Personally, I like cushion cut stones (my favorite) and think that this one looks very well cut. But I typically rely on Tan's videos to get a good look at the stone, so I don't know what to tell you. Plus, since you've bought it, I'd hate to disappoint...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Looks like very nice cutting. Can you post the link to Tan's ebay auction so we can see the video? That usually represents the color more accurately. It does look a tad brownish to me, but it will probably sparkle nicely because of the cut, and it seems that size and shape may be the most important factor for you rather than color anyway...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1377462018|3509615 said:
Looks like very nice cutting. Can you post the link to Tan's ebay auction so we can see the video? That usually represents the color more accurately. It does look a tad brownish to me, but it will probably sparkle nicely because of the cut, and it seems that size and shape may be the most important factor for you rather than color anyway...

Here's the video.

http://www.odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/images_flash/21757-aee.swf

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Hi sonyachanc: Its always a bit harder to respond to these types of requests knowing that you've already purchased the stone - what kind of info were you hoping we'd provide? Personally, I like cushion cut stones (my favorite) and think that this one looks very well cut. But I typically rely on Tan's videos to get a good look at the stone, so I don't know what to tell you. Plus, since you've bought it, I'd hate to disappoint...

hi minousbijoux, I would like you to be very honest - there is still the return policy if it really isn't a good stone, though I'm hoping not to have to rely on that. The video shows a stone that seems pretty decent - but my eyes are untrained. The link is lower on the thread!

I know you guys can pick out things like windowing (which I still don't know quite how to spot) and other defects - something along those lines perhaps? Thanks very much!

jstarfireb said:

it looks brownish in the photo, but lighter on the video - and the colour in the video is what I'm really hoping for! Do you know which is more accurate for Tan? I've read good things on PS about his videos for chrysoberyls for being pretty spot-on.

(And you're right that the size and shape are more crucial to me!)

@TL, thanks for posting the link! I should have just done that at the start!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi sonyachanc: I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't good, sorry! Sometimes providing feedback after the fact is disappointing, as the buyer becomes aware of little idiosyncrasies that might not otherwise bother them. That said, here goes: the cut is fine, the stone does not seem to have a window - and as I said, I love cushions! His videos tend to be more accurate than his stills (TL taught us that!). The downside to the stone is that it has acceptable but not great saturation, so its not as intense or neon-y as it could be. But I agree with the others that it looks better in the video than in the still. HTH :praise:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL! I agree that the color looks a little nicer in the video (and that's what typically tends to be more accurate with Tan's listings). I'm not sure if I'm seeing some extinction in the face-up views in the video or just camera obstruction, but either way, can't wait to see what you think of it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1377493610|3509819 said:
Thanks, TL! I agree that the color looks a little nicer in the video (and that's what typically tends to be more accurate with Tan's listings). I'm not sure if I'm seeing some extinction in the face-up views in the video or just camera obstruction, but either way, can't wait to see what you think of it!

I second this. My main concern would be the black spots in the stone in the video. Let us know how it goes.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Hi sonyachanc: I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't good, sorry! Sometimes providing feedback after the fact is disappointing, as the buyer becomes aware of little idiosyncrasies that might not otherwise bother them. That said, here goes: the cut is fine, the stone does not seem to have a window - and as I said, I love cushions! His videos tend to be more accurate than his stills (TL taught us that!). The downside to the stone is that it has acceptable but not great saturation, so its not as intense or neon-y as it could be. But I agree with the others that it looks better in the video than in the still. HTH :praise:

jstarfireb said:

pregcurious said:
jstarfireb|1377493610|3509819 said:

I second this. My main concern would be the black spots in the stone in the video. Let us know how it goes.

To you three ladies - thanks for the help, and I need a little more :( Tan just told me that the stone had already been sold, and the website just hadn't been updated, so he's refunded me.. I don't want the money back, I want the stone! But now I'm back on the lookout, and almost starting to think very hard about a green sapphire..

What about this stone http://player.vimeo.com/video/73121853? I'm not posting the listing because I don't want someone to snap it up, but there looks like a pretty large window in there, eh? Or am I (hopefully) mistaken?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not very saturated (the last video you posted).

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
This is probably true of every type of stone, but I have the most experience with chrysoberyls as I have bought and returned a ton and kept quite a few along the way. Even though you can get a pretty good idea about the stone via Tan's ebay videos, seeing them in hand is different and I think you should let your taste dictate what you want. One person's brownish may be another person's "champagne"-colored. When I was looking I was intent on getting a really vivid stone, and there were a few that were really nice, especially in certain light, but I returned them in my search for a vivid one. I have two threads on my best chrysoberyls:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/first-stone-picture-post-3-18-chrysoberyl.173757/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/first-stone-picture-post-3-18-chrysoberyl.173757/[/URL]

and this one, which I already posted, my apologies for repeating:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-4-15-chrysoberyl.177782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-4-15-chrysoberyl.177782/[/URL]

The second one is obviously better cut and color, but it cost four times more than the first one. However, the first one can look beautiful in certain lights, maybe even more beautiful than the better one does in the same light. I have thought of selling the first one for some time but its glamorous moments give me pause. i also have a bunch little ovals I have bought along the way, and they all offer something different-- some are not super saturated but are a really happy/bright yellow with a tint of green.

This i much too long winded, but I think looking at a bunch would be most helpful. If you can get to a gem show, I know prima gems had a ton of chrysoberyls, they might have just what you are looking for...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a few stills from Tan's video of a vivid chrysoberyl (no longer for sale). You can use this to compare to his other videos if that helps.

file.jpg

Here's the image of the chrysoberyl you almost bought, so you can easily see it lacks the saturation you probably want.

screenshot_1.png

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
Here's a few stills from Tan's video of a vivid chrysoberyl (no longer for sale). You can use this to compare to his other videos if that helps.

file.jpg

Here's the image of the chrysoberyl you almost bought, so you can easily see it lacks the saturation you probably want.

screenshot_1.png

I see what you mean about the saturation! We don't get many chrysoberyls (I haven't seen any, and I've been to nearly all the jewelers on this e-ring quest) in Singapore, so I'm not entirely sure if I want a very neon chrysoberyl either. But the color saturation does seem to differ by quite a bit..

erinl said:
This i much too long winded, but I think looking at a bunch would be most helpful. If you can get to a gem show, I know prima gems had a ton of chrysoberyls, they might have just what you are looking for...

thanks for the links erin, I really appreciate it! both your chrysoberyls are amazing lovely - it's so difficult to get ones in a good size and cut now - I see loads of unsaturated and windowed stones out there :( and they are getting so expensive, and the cutters keep telling me how much rarer they've become..

primagems has a very light stone that I was thinking about, but it is very light, and a little bit bigger than I'd like - and consequently pretty expensive. I don't think there are trade shows much in singapore :(

TL said:
Did you see the square on gemfix's website (the second row, last column).

http://www.gemfix.com/chrysoberyl.html

I have! but there's something about the combination of the angular cut that reminds me of a princess (which I really dislike) and the rather meh green peridot-like colour that doesn't really work for me.. Thanks for pointing it out though!

Niel said:

I want an oval in an E-W setting but the partner doesn't like horizontal settings, and I don't like vertical ovals on my fingers. I've told him I want it for my second ring (for a special occasion - like our first kid or ten years) and he says ok, but that also means this is out for the moment :( it's a pity though, because this is such a beautiful stone! I might buy it just to keep - but this has secondary priority..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Email primagems (Jaimeen). He often doesn't have everything on his website and may have something for you not listed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure exactly what shade of green you are looking for. The sapphire is definitely not peridot-like (no yellow component) but the saturation of green is very low, hence it looks a bit palish and quite grayish. The cutting makes it look very brilliant though.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
I'm not sure exactly what shade of green you are looking for. The sapphire is definitely not peridot-like (no yellow component) but the saturation of green is very low, hence it looks a bit palish and quite grayish. The cutting makes it look very brilliant though.

Chrono, I am starting to be more open to different shades of green - so this might work for me. I know it's a little low on saturation - but what do you think of the stone quality in itself? Its slightly pale grayishness somehow makes me feel like it'll contrast prettily with diamonds on the halo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonyachancs|1377580575|3510443 said:
TL said:
Email primagems (Jaimeen). He often doesn't have everything on his website and may have something for you not listed.

I will do that. In the meantime, what do you think of this stone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXrWRpdGE8&feature=youtu.be

I don't like the color at all. It looks like a combination of brown, gray and yellow. Jeff has some really beautiful gems, but that's not one of my favorites. However, you seem to be drawn to that color by the stones you've been picking out, so if you like it, then go for it. :)) I prefer more saturated gems.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
My apologies for not remembering if you have contacted Jeff Davies-- have you emailed him or contacted him on facebook and told him what you are looking for? He may be able to find what you are looking for if he is on the lookout for stones with specific parameters in mind.

He has some very good cutters who work for him, his stones are often precision cut quality. As far as that sapphire, the cut looks very nice. Regarding color and tone, you would probably be most able to answer that question for yourself. It depends on what you like, how it flatters your skin tone, etc. It doesn't draw me in myself, but everyone has different taste.

I also bet if you emailed Prima and asked to see any and all square shaped chrysoberyls or sapphires within a size range they would accommodate your request.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
If this helps at all, here is Tan's picture of my 3.18 chrysoberyl-- the less vivid of the two chrysoberyl threads I posted earlier.

chryso5mine.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is no secret that I prefer stronger saturated stones. I feel that the centre stone should be the star of the halo setting, so when thinking of contrast, the centre stone should outshine the diamond melees, but that's just my personal preference.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1377613139|3510605 said:
If this helps at all, here is Tan's picture of my 3.18 chrysoberyl-- the less vivid of the two chrysoberyl threads I posted earlier.

Erini,
Very pretty. Glad you didn't sell it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1377617150|3510663 said:
I know it isn't square but you could pop it in a square halo maybe?

http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=gid&for=SapG766&t=Green%20Sapphire

I just got a round 2 carat chrysoberyl, same cutting as that, popped into a square setting, and it looks awesome. I think it has that art deco kind of look to it like that. At least it opens up your options if you had your heart set on a squarish stone. This isn't a halo, but at least it kind of gives you an idea of what a round diamond cut stone in a square setting looks like, if you like that round sapphire that Niel posted (very nice cutting by Peter).

tlchyrssquareround.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear TL,
You must start a new thread for that chrysoberyl. That gorgeous ring deserves its own limelight.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
I have been having so much problem uploading pictures! sigh. what do you guys think about this one?

2013-08-28-08-39-57-1_0.jpg

He (who shall not be named) says there's a bit of color shift, and that it shines at low light - he is such a nice person and doesn't have time for a video, so I'm hoping you guys could tell me what you think about this one. I like the colour and oblong-percentage!

Chrono said:
My dear TL,
You must start a new thread for that chrysoberyl. That gorgeous ring deserves its own limelight.

I concur, that stone is beautiful!

TL said:
Niel|1377617150|3510663 said:
I know it isn't square but you could pop it in a square halo maybe?

http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=gid&for=SapG766&t=Green%20Sapphire

I just got a round 2 carat chrysoberyl, same cutting as that, popped into a square setting, and it looks awesome. I think it has that art deco kind of look to it like that. At least it opens up your options if you had your heart set on a squarish stone. This isn't a halo, but at least it kind of gives you an idea of what a round diamond cut stone in a square setting looks like, if you like that round sapphire that Niel posted (very nice cutting by Peter).

TL, that's a great idea. I didn't think of that, but it reminds me that I've seen some square halos incorporating a round stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sony, if you want neon, the one you just showed is definitely not that. In my experience, just about all chrysos look good in low light, so please don't be sold on a stone for that reason. On the other hand, the cutter of the stone you just posted cuts very nice stones, so you know that one will be well cut. :))

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Sony, if you want neon, the one you just showed is definitely not that. In my experience, just about all chrysos look good in low light, so please don't be sold on a stone for that reason. On the other hand, the cutter of the stone you just posted cuts very nice stones, so you know that one will be well cut. :))

minousbijoux I think I might not be headed for a neon stone.. TL is right in saying that I seemed to verify drawn to the darker, less neon stones so I think I've been subconsciously working towards those stones.

He does seem to have a good reputation on PS and I think I might stop fluttering about soon.. Thanks for all the patience and help! It's really been great - especially since my partner's judgement is limited to "I don't like it" or "not bad"..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results