shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 2 stones

T

TacomaTRD

Hello PS'ers :) I appreciated everyone's help last time I posted, so I am reaching out again to see if anyone could give me some feedback on 1 stone, and 1 ring we are looking at. My first post was about a ring we loved, but returned due to color sensitivity of the stone (J center, platinum setting, G sides https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-02ctw-canera-cushion-cut-solitaire-ring). Ideally, we could just buy the setting and put in a different stone, but we haven't been able to. So, we've been searching ever since, and am leaning towards these two options:

This is the ring. It needs to be resized to 3.5, so we are nervous how that might affect the side stones. Also, the bead set(?) looks a little old school vs modern pave (?). I looked up the jeweler, and they seem to have a positive reputation for quality rings.

This is the diamond. Like the idea of putting it in a compass setting with double claw prongs similar to the pictures. Just unsure about the stone, because it's a SI1 and the GIA report.
IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

Upped the budget to about $15k. Recycled metal/diamond, or preloved is still the criteria. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I had no idea ring shopping would be this hard :oops2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
High color old cuts are not as easy to find as low(er) color old cuts, so kudos to you.
The SI1 clarity doesn’t show in the photos or videos, to my* eye.
It looks clean, clear, and has a beautiful facet pattern.
Old cut rounds like OEC’s sparkle like disco balls, with broader facets that create rainbow bling.
This one will look amazing in the setting you have chosen.
It’s a great size, and stays with the “antique”/“vintage” vibe.
I love the combo, myself.
I’m certain others will chime in.....
Enjoy the process. It’s worth it. :cool2:

T

TacomaTRD

High color old cuts are not as easy to find as low(er) color old cuts, so kudos to you.
The SI1 clarity doesn’t show in the photos or videos, to my* eye.
It looks clean, clear, and has a beautiful facet pattern.
Old cut rounds like OEC’s sparkle like disco balls, with broader facets that create rainbow bling.
This one will look amazing in the setting you have chosen.
It’s a great size, and stays with the “antique”/“vintage” vibe.
I love the combo, myself.
I’m certain others will chime in.....
Enjoy the process. It’s worth it. :cool2:

Thank you for your feedback. I thought the solitary stone looked clean to me as well. Between the two stones, which is your favorite, and why?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your feedback. I thought the solitary stone looked clean to me as well. Between the two stones, which is your favorite, and why?

I have a sweet spot for old cuts.
That 1.30ct E SI1 OEC is gorgeous.
That is my choice.
Do you find you are leaning toward 1 more than the other?

ETA: VC and LM combo is something many here would fight over...lol!
You cannot go wrong with a VC Cushion, and LM is an admired designer. The price on that ring is a steal, and would be a contender, as well. This is a tough decision.
You have to decide which shape you prefer, and whether you would rather have a true old cut diamond (OEC) or a modern day old cut diamond (VC Cushion).
The ctwt comparison of these stones is a factor, as well; 1.30-2.0 is quite a difference, which will impact your setting choice.
I’m a baguette girl, and I admire LM. I’d go with the LM setting, and pop that OEC in it, and call it a day.....lol!!!

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would grab that E SI1 in a heartbeat! The cloud looks eye clean and the flowery facets are dreamy, my favorite! A gorgeous and rare stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No to the first ring ring sizing down. Not wise to size down a pave shank, especially that much. You could have that setting design custom made for your stone. It is a vintage style, so if you wanted modern pave, use Victor Canera to make you a pave ring.

The E color diamond looks gorgeous! Just remember a 1.3 ct modern round is about 7mm, so as many OECs do, it will face up smaller. The diamond in that first ring that shouldn't be sized down is about 7.3mm which is a visible difference in size. If your budget is $15k, I'd personally go with a larger diamond than the E. That gold solitaire setting will not be expensive for someone like David Klass to make for you.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
If JbG says the diamond is eye-clean I wouldn't worry about the SI clarity grading, and I adore the facet pattern on the second diamond! I actually like the vintagey vibe of the first stone and think that the setting is very well-proportioned to the diamond. But you have to go with your gut, which diamond do you prefer?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
No to the first ring ring sizing down. Not wise to size down a pave shank, especially that much. You could have that ring custom made for your stone if 23rd St Jewelers still is around. It is a vintage style, so if you wanted modern pave, use Victor Canera to make you a pave ring.

The E color diamond looks gorgeous! Just remember a 1.3 ct modern round is about 7mm, so as many OECs do, it will face up smaller. If your budget is $15k, I'd personally go with a larger diamond. That gold solitaire setting will not be expensive for someone like David Klass to make for you.

Ooh yes good point on size for your budget. 15k was also my budget and I came in just around there for my OEC (2.23 MVS1). Even though you're more color sensitive you could definitely find a bigger stone for sure :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is bigger the objective here? Or is it about which stone “we” like the best?

You have two different flavors with these two.

Stone 1 is an H with checkerboard facets in a ring that needs to be sized down 2 full sizes (unless Grace will unseat the stone and sell it to you separately). This stone has a larger table than I prefer for an OEC and a shallower depth. I do think the bead set side stones would be ok to size down. Talk to Grace, she’ll be straight with you.

Stone 2 is an E SI1 eye clean, with flowery faceting. Smaller table and deeper depth. It’s smaller in diameter than stone 1. High color old cuts are a rarity and an E with those flowery facets? Wow.

OECs need to be seen irl with your eyes to discover what characteristics you like Imo. This is about what YOU like. Good luck!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From personal experience sizing a wedding band with bead set stones, the stones definitely can loosen and mine wasn't sized nearly that much. It sounds like you don't love that setting anyway. The irony is, years ago I was considering buying that exact ring! I still have the pictures of it! But there's no way I'd buy a ring that needed sizing down (or up) that much. I think it's really hard to find a second hand diamond ring that has everything you want and close to the right size. I'd focus on finding the right diamond and then having a setting made if you don't see a second hand setting you like. You can go to $13k plus on the diamond if you have a gold solitaire made like the one above. If you want pave, that will cost more.

Have you tried on diamonds to see what mm size range you like?

T

TacomaTRD

I have a sweet spot for old cuts.
That 1.30ct E SI1 OEC is gorgeous.
That is my choice.
Do you find you are leaning toward 1 more than the other?

ETA: VC and LM combo is something many here would fight over...lol!
You cannot go wrong with a VC Cushion, and LM is an admired designer. The price on that ring is a steal, and would be a contender, as well. This is a tough decision.
You have to decide which shape you prefer, and whether you would rather have a true old cut diamond (OEC) or a modern day old cut diamond (VC Cushion).
The ctwt comparison of these stones is a factor, as well; 1.30-2.0 is quite a difference, which will impact your setting choice.
I’m a baguette girl, and I admire LM. I’d go with the LM setting, and pop that OEC in it, and call it a day.....lol!!!

No, very 50/50, but after reading online/comments about resizing pave/bead set, leaning towards just a stone. Do you think the 1.30ct will fit into the LM setting? I wasn't how much .35mm(?) makes a difference, even though the number seems tiny. Do you think a 1.3ct will look proportional to the rest of the ring? Do you think a cushion or an OEC is prettier for that setting? Sorry for the million questions. Thank you for your help!

We really liked the LM ring, and it would've been the perfect ring if the color was higher. The color difference was too obvious in the white setting with the side baguettes. The LM setting would need to be resized down too, but Grace said it would be ok.

T

TacomaTRD

No to the first ring ring sizing down. Not wise to size down a pave shank, especially that much. You could have that setting design custom made for your stone. It is a vintage style, so if you wanted modern pave, use Victor Canera to make you a pave ring.

The E color diamond looks gorgeous! Just remember a 1.3 ct modern round is about 7mm, so as many OECs do, it will face up smaller. The diamond in that first ring that shouldn't be sized down is about 7.3mm which is a visible difference in size. If your budget is $15k, I'd personally go with a larger diamond than the E. That gold solitaire setting will not be expensive for someone like David Klass to make for you.

Thank you. Food for thought. Do you know if DK takes stones from other vendors and makes settings for them? Or do you have to purchase stones from him?

T

TacomaTRD

If JbG says the diamond is eye-clean I wouldn't worry about the SI clarity grading, and I adore the facet pattern on the second diamond! I actually like the vintagey vibe of the first stone and think that the setting is very well-proportioned to the diamond. But you have to go with your gut, which diamond do you prefer?

Thank you for your input. That's the description I was trying to convey, "well proportioned,". I wasn't sure if the stone was well-proportioned, but I'm really not experienced in this at all, so I appreciate your opinion. Gut says LM ring, but the center stone color was so noticeable in that setting.

T

TacomaTRD

Ooh yes good point on size for your budget. 15k was also my budget and I came in just around there for my OEC (2.23 MVS1). Even though you're more color sensitive you could definitely find a bigger stone for sure :)

Yeah, I'd like a bigger stone, but I am finding that old cuts with a high color and clarity are so expensive and out of my budget :|

T

TacomaTRD

Is bigger the objective here? Or is it about which stone “we” like the best?

You have two different flavors with these two.

Stone 1 is an H with checkerboard facets in a ring that needs to be sized down 2 full sizes (unless Grace will unseat the stone and sell it to you separately). This stone has a larger table than I prefer for an OEC and a shallower depth. I do think the bead set side stones would be ok to size down. Talk to Grace, she’ll be straight with you.

Stone 2 is an E SI1 eye clean, with flowery faceting. Smaller table and deeper depth. It’s smaller in diameter than stone 1. High color old cuts are a rarity and an E with those flowery facets? Wow.

OECs need to be seen irl with your eyes to discover what characteristics you like Imo. This is about what YOU like. Good luck!

I am coming across that a lot, checkerboard vs flowery, and I am starting to see the distinction between them. I wish I could see all these in person, but we live in a small town in a remote region with few options. They both seem pretty in pictures/videos lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why do you prefer a smaller table and deeper depth on an OEC?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Food for thought. Do you know if DK takes stones from other vendors and makes settings for them? Or do you have to purchase stones from him?

Oh, yes, he has made hundreds and maybe thousands of settings for people here, and they normally provide the main stone. He would usually provide pave if there is a halo, for example.

Both transitional rounds and Old European rounds can be gorgeous. The two above are each nice examples of their type. The key is to fine a well cut one like these in the size and color range you prefer. I would think you would be fine down to H color and maybe I color in GIA grading since they are sometimes a little stricter on the color grading.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'd like a bigger stone, but I am finding that old cuts with a high color and clarity are so expensive and out of my budget :|

Perhaps search for F/G color range and SI1/VS2 clarity?
You may be able to go bigger, if you drop on color.

T

TacomaTRD

From personal experience sizing a wedding band with bead set stones, the stones definitely can loosen and mine wasn't sized nearly that much. It sounds like you don't love that setting anyway. The irony is, years ago I was considering buying that exact ring! I still have the pictures of it! But there's no way I'd buy a ring that needed sizing down (or up) that much. I think it's really hard to find a second hand diamond ring that has everything you want and close to the right size. I'd focus on finding the right diamond and then having a setting made if you don't see a second hand setting you like. You can go to $13k plus on the diamond if you have a gold solitaire made like the one above. If you want pave, that will cost more.

Have you tried on diamonds to see what mm size range you like?

That is really great advice. Thank you.

We went to most of the jewelry stores here in town (before COVID), and liked the 1.5-2.0ct range. They didn't tell us mm information and we didn't think to ask, because we were even more inexperienced back then. It was all modern stuff, no one had anything antique. The only old cut we saw in person was the LM ring we ordered from Grace. That's when we decided on old cuts over modern. Really like the wider facets over the splintery in modern cuts. It was the perfect ring, minus the color.

T

TacomaTRD

Oh, yes, he has made hundreds and maybe thousands of settings for people here, and they normally provide the main stone. He would usually provide pave if there is a halo, for example.

Both transitional rounds and Old European rounds can be gorgeous. The two above are each nice examples of their type. The key is to fine a well cut one like these in the size and color range you prefer. I would think you would be fine down to H color and maybe I color in GIA grading since they are sometimes a little stricter on the color grading.

Yeah, I thought the faceting(?) on those stones look pretty compared to a lot of others I see. After seeing the J Canera stone, we thought at least an I or higher would be the best route.

T

TacomaTRD

Perhaps search for F/G color range and SI1/VS2 clarity?
You may be able to go bigger, if you drop on color.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind dropping the color for a bigger size =)2

Regarding the 1.30ct, on the GIA report the cloud seems huge and is on the table, but I couldn't see it in her pictures. The stone looks crystal clear in her pics, I couldn't find any clouding. Her description says it's eye-clean, but do you think it could be an issue/noticeable in different lighting/ring setting, etc?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I wouldn't mind dropping the color for a bigger size =)2

Regarding the 1.30ct, on the GIA report the cloud seems huge and is on the table, but I couldn't see it in her pictures. The stone looks crystal clear in her pics, I couldn't find any clouding. Her description says it's eye-clean, but do you think it could be an issue/noticeable in different lighting/ring setting, etc?

The only way to know is to purchase it, examine it in different lighting environments you frequently experience, and decide if you see any issues.
Ask Grace what her return policy is, or request videos in specific lighting environments. She may be able to acquiesce to such a request.
Honestly, if 1.5-2.0 is more your sweet spot, as mentioned, old cuts face up smaller than their modern cut counterparts. Old cuts are notoriously bottom heavy due to diamond cutting styles used, long ago. Diamond cutting is more focused on spread across the top of the stone for size, now.
I’d encourage you to inquire if Grace has any OEC’s that come close to a 1.5ct F/G SI/VS. Eye clean, no inclusion obstruction.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your input. That's the description I was trying to convey, "well proportioned,". I wasn't sure if the stone was well-proportioned, but I'm really not experienced in this at all, so I appreciate your opinion. Gut says LM ring, but the center stone color was so noticeable in that setting.

Ah I think I actually missed the part where you were considering the LM ring (gorgeous cushion btw). If your sweet spot is ~1.5+ for I color or higher, consider reaching out to Adam at Old World Diamonds to see what he might have available also! While the settings you picked are beautiful, it won't matter if the diamonds aren't to your exact liking. Adam has a huge range and should be able to do a setting similar to what you're asking for as well, which is pretty simple IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to say the same thing as @Moonie ! I'd go to Adam at Old World Diamonds, also. He has a larger supply of old diamonds and he also does beautiful solitaire settings. Look for oldworlddiamonds on IG. He posted a gorgeous yg setting today.

T

TacomaTRD

Everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post and giving me invaluable advice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results