shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion of classiest/most timeless ring?

Lyons

Rough_Rock
Hello! I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have been so appreciative of the education I've received. I am beginning to look at rings with my BF and I wanted to get your expert opinion:

Which ring/setting do you feel will endure the test of time?

Our budget is around $8k-$9k so I want setting that does not need a super-large stone to get the right proportions.

Some styles I have considered:

Tiffany-style solitaire
RB three stone ring
RB or EC with tapered baguettes (concerned I would need a large center stone here)
RB with pear side stones

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? Any help (and photos!) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think all of those are classy, although the RB solitaire is probably the 'most' timeless (in my opinion). What about trying on different styles to see what you like on your hand?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a question that really has no answer!! I will throw in that a solitaire can be paired with tons of bands (anniversary, babies, special b-days) for different looks, whereas not every band will go with the other choices you mentioned. That having been said - they are ALL lovely classy styles. Obviously try some on and see what looks best on YOUR hand.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with the other PPs, they are all timeless but the most popular one would be the RB solitaire. I think it's a good idea to go out there and try them on to see which one you like and looks best on your hand. I know what you mean about possibly needing a larger stone if you go with the EC but you may be surprise that a smaller weight can do the job. Good luck on your search!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the rb solitaire is the most timeless. I'd definitely go with a solitaire with that budget, because diamonds and settings are quite high right now. If you want to go with the classic Tiffany look, Vatche has the best reproduction, I think, at the moment. You can see some large stones set in it here:

http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/solitaire-engagement-rings/vatche-6-prong-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-24302.htm

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/[/URL]

Lyons

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1322587544|3070889 said:
I agree that the rb solitaire is the most timeless. I'd definitely go with a solitaire with that budget, because diamonds and settings are quite high right now. If you want to go with the classic Tiffany look, Vatche has the best reproduction, I think, at the moment. You can see some large stones set in it here:

http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/solitaire-engagement-rings/vatche-6-prong-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-24302.htm

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/[/URL]

Thank you all for your opinions!

DiamondSeeker, I had the same thought about the price of settings and I just drool over the Vatche settings. They have such an ease and elegance about them. For the diamond, I was even thinking about going down to a "K" to get a larger stone. I have read many posts about Ks on Pricescope and people seem to really fall in love with those stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the Vatche settings are well made and nicely finished!

I'm going to say that I don't recommend going below J on an engagement ring. I can see the tint beginning in J color, and I wouldn't go to K unless the person has purposely chosen a warm colored stone. J is the last of the near-colorless range and I think that is as far as I would go.

Blue fluorescence can be a bonus to lower colored stones and also help the price. These would be good:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.010-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104055121003

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.281-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104055121016

And if you went with one of those, you could get their Tiffany repro which is less expensive that the Vatche but still nice:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-18k-white-gold-5336w18

To help you see the color issue, I recommend looking through these pages on color:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/Colorless/

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would say the most timeless is the RB solitare in the vatche tiffany style setting (or a plain Mark Morrell setting).

The most classy IMO is the emerald cut with tapered baguettes in a Leon-type setting (very simple and plain but with gorgeous claw prongs and beautiful lines)

I like white diamonds for RB and EC (G is my sweet spot) BUT if I could get a substantially bigger stone, the cut was killer, and there was some flourescence or pink or grey undertones as opposed to brown or yellow, I would be thrilled with a H-I-J and even K.

Lyons

Rough_Rock
I noticed both stones you posted were VS2 and had medium to strong blue fluorescence. Do you recommend staying away from SI1 and SI2? Of course I want the largest stone possible and thought a lower clarity might help me get there.

Also, because I’ve never seen a medium/strong blue fluorescence stone, I don’t know much about how noticeable it is in everyday viewing conditions. Is a black light the only time I would notice fluorescence?

I know I need to get out there and look at stones in person to get a better idea of what I like (and what is most important to me), but it is nice to learn from people with so much experience!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
When I think classy and timeless I think:

*Round in tiffany solitaire

*Round or emerald cut with tapered baguettes a la Harry Winston

*possibly erring towards trendy: Emerald cut with step cut sides

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyons|1322596557|3070992 said:
I noticed both stones you posted were VS2 and had medium to strong blue fluorescence. Do you recommend staying away from SI1 and SI2? Of course I want the largest stone possible and thought a lower clarity might help me get there.

Also, because I’ve never seen a medium/strong blue fluorescence stone, I don’t know much about how noticeable it is in everyday viewing conditions. Is a black light the only time I would notice fluorescence?

I know I need to get out there and look at stones in person to get a better idea of what I like (and what is most important to me), but it is nice to learn from people with so much experience!

You'd likely never see it unless you were in black lights. My original diamond had it and I never knew for over 20 years when a jeweler happened to mention it! I linked the only J stones they had in your price range with the blue fluor. They just happened to be VS2 (well, there was a VS1 but I didn't link that one). My personal preference is VS, but many here at least go to SI1 to get a little more size. You were getting a discount already on the stones with fluor., so the VS2 is really a bonus there.

Go to somewhere like Tiffany's that carries timeless, classic looks. You won't like their prices, but you can see some of those classic settings. I agree that I love an emerald with baguettes, but it would sacrifice too much from your center stone budget to go with a setting with sidestones. You can always give her another ring for a future anniversary!

Lyons

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1322597381|3070997 said:
Lyons|1322596557|3070992 said:

You'd likely never see it unless you were in black lights. My original diamond had it and I never knew for over 20 years when a jeweler happened to mention it! I linked the only J stones they had in your price range with the blue fluor. They just happened to be VS2 (well, there was a VS1 but I didn't link that one). My personal preference is VS, but many here at least go to SI1 to get a little more size. You were getting a discount already on the stones with fluor., so the VS2 is really a bonus there.

Go to somewhere like Tiffany's that carries timeless, classic looks. You won't like their prices, but you can see some of those classic settings. I agree that I love an emerald with baguettes, but it would sacrifice too much from your center stone budget to go with a setting with sidestones. You can always give her another ring for a future anniversary!

LOL Diamondseeker I AM the her! :razz:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops, I had to look back to the first post to see that! Sorry!

Let me rephrase...HE can always get you your 2 ct. dream ring later on. I highly recommend that! So I'd put all the money in a good center stone now and get a simpler setting! That is great that you are getting to give input! Wish all guys would do that!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyons|1322582254|3070811 said:
Hello! I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have been so appreciative of the education I've received. I am beginning to look at rings with my BF and I wanted to get your expert opinion:

Which ring/setting do you feel will endure the test of time?

Our budget is around $8k-$9k so I want setting that does not need a super-large stone to get the right proportions.

Some styles I have considered:

Tiffany-style solitaire
RB three stone ring
RB or EC with tapered baguettes (concerned I would need a large center stone here)
RB with pear side stones

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions? Any help (and photos!) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
by a mile... ;)) will still be in style 100 yrs from now.

peachy4397

Rough_Rock
Agree with everyone else here. :)

For the most timeless ring, I'd choose a simple solitaire and bling it up with a half-eternity band. RB solitaires are very versatile and you can have so many different looks by pairing it with a different type of band(s)!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that a Tiffany setting (actual or repro) is the most timeless engagement ring.

In general I personally think of emerald cuts (with single square Deco style prong) is the most timeless, elegant ring. Part of the reason I feel this way I'd that the cuts of RB have changed many times over many years. I like the 'cold' geometric cuts of emerald cut diamonds best.

Please come back and ask specific questions about the stones and settings when you get to this point. A lot of people here cane help you all the way throgh choosing high quality and good value.

Good luck.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is for the RB Tiffany setting - very classic. Can't go wrong with a simple setting. Then in time, you can upgrade to something more unique to you when the budget allows.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I REALLY REALLY think you need to try rings on.

Some people think a round brilliant solitaire is the most classic, and they might be right, but FOR ME it's irrelevant as they look TERRIBLE on my hand. So I would pick an Emerald Cut with tapered baguettes from your list.

If really depends on what looks the best on your hand. Just like shopping for a dress. It may look great on the hanger-- but what does it look like on you?!?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the most timeless setting is the simplest, the cleanest, the solitaire with a round diamond.
No surprise diamonds under the diamond or under the ring or under the box, no halos, no scrollwork, no carving, no feathers, no batteries, speakers or moving parts.

It also happens to be the least expensive, leaving more of the budget for a better diamond.
The solitaire is all about the diamond, not the setting.

IMHO, anything above and beyond the simple solitaire will go in and out of style.
The more ornate and extreme the design, the more will swing into and out of style. (can you say 0.6mm wide setting with melee on all four sides?)

That said, buy what you love.
Who gives a crap what's in style?

88888.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the other posters saying the RB in a solitaire is the most timeless. But I also agree with Gypsy that you need to try some rings on to see what works best for you. Good luck and please come back to share your ring once you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results