shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal ring from Seven Fingers Jewelry

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I found [http://www.sevenfingers.com]Seven Fingers Jewelers[/url] quite by accident, but I'm sure glad I stumbled upon it. This definitely has been a different custom experience for me. After reserving my completion date of Sept 30 (and this was just time he marked off for me in his calendar, I didn't have to pay to reserve a spot), I scoured the web for inspiration pictures. On Sept 12, I sent off my opal with the inspiration pictures and a list of likes/dislikes/needs. Today I received my ring. There was a phone call on Saturday when he had a question about accent stones. So no CADs, no drawings, no nothing. This was not a surprise, btw, because this is how he told me he operates. If I wasn't happy with his design I just send the ring back, he removes my stone and returns it to me, not charging me anything. His rationale is that he would just cut another stone to fit and sell it anyway. So anyhow, my point is if you need a lot of control over a custom project, this is not the vendor for you.

Anyhow, on with the pics. The opal is an Australian semi black of about 2.5cts.

Lotus flowers were one of my inspiration pictures

love the double mille graine around the stone

I love his maker's mark. Apparently it's his own hand prints... he lost 3 of his fingers in a farming accident when he was a kid.

kiz-7fopal1.jpg

kiz-7fopal2.jpg

kiz-7fopal3.jpg

kiz-7fopal4.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
He even put mille graine on the underside of the ring.

And all around the band

Hand shot

It sits pretty low. My opal is pretty flat... maybe 3-4mm

kiz-7fopal5.jpg

kiz-7fopal6.jpg

kiz-7fopal7.jpg

kiz-7fopal8.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Even with all the carving, it's pretty comfortable to wear

And distance hand shot to show the size.

kiz-7fopal9.jpg

kiz-7fopal10.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is excellent. The ring fantastic. Kismet, you should make "The Kismet's list" of jewelers you have used, you always find such awesome talents!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fantastic ring, Kismet. When you first mentioned Seven Fingers Jewelry, I was so excited! I am a huge admirer of his work and I couldn't wait to see the results. He certainly doesn't disappoint.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. It is a beautiful ring - I love rings that highlight the stone but also have detailing. Really beautiful.

2. Now I get the name Seven Fingers. He's got a gallows sense of humor, doesn't he?!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
WoW, that is a gorgeous piece. I love the design and the execution. beautifully hand made and proudly showing all that hand work, it just revels in it's being a product of a focused lone goldsmith. wonderful trellis work holding your opal aloft. And he did the whole thing in 2 weeks!?!?

kt

Shiny_Rock
OMG that reminds of a museum type piece - it's so unique and artistic and unusual!!! Just lovely.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is so stunning, and one of the most beautiful settings I've seen on PS. Congrats and thank you for sharing!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I just spent some time on his website and am even more floored than before. I would go to Denver to take his 4 day class coming up but it is , understandably, already full. Wonderful find, Kismet!!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely, too. Do you like it?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I love opals! Yours is beautiful and that setting is just stunning! Very unique ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i absolutely think you have the best opal ring i've seen to date! it is unique, classy, and timeless!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous work, Kismet, and just right to show off an opal; yours is such a nice one. The skill in that ring is superb! And he does it without 3 of his fingers, yike, what a talent!

-- laurie

T

talamasca

:love: :love: STUNNING! I love the design and millgrain

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That is simply stunning on your hand. I think the setting really suits your stone in such a beautiful and unique way. Well done!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1317249502|3028250 said:
The stone is excellent. The ring fantastic. Kismet, you should make "The Kismet's list" of jewelers you have used, you always find such awesome talents!

Thanks crasru! Heh, after reading that I had to count up the jewelers that I've used and it's actually not all that many. Peter Lees x2, Andrew Sarosi x3, Hubert x1, BGD x3, Bostonian Jewelers x1, Michael E x1, TC Jewelers xa lot. And now Seven Fingers x1 :)

Lady_Disdain said:
Fantastic ring, Kismet. When you first mentioned Seven Fingers Jewelry, I was so excited! I am a huge admirer of his work and I couldn't wait to see the results. He certainly doesn't disappoint.

Thanks LD! The ring is beautiful and so well done. Have you seen his work in person?

minousbijoux said:
1. It is a beautiful ring - I love rings that highlight the stone but also have detailing. Really beautiful.

2. Now I get the name Seven Fingers. He's got a gallows sense of humor, doesn't he?!!

Thank you minousbijoux. Heh, yes I think he does have a gallows sense of humor.

VapidLapid said:
WoW, that is a gorgeous piece. I love the design and the execution. beautifully hand made and proudly showing all that hand work, it just revels in it's being a product of a focused lone goldsmith. wonderful trellis work holding your opal aloft. And he did the whole thing in 2 weeks!?!?

Thanks VL! I was really surprised when I received the stone yesterday. I was not expecting to get it until next week. All I can think is he either worked only on my ring or is super efficient.

kt said:
OMG that reminds of a museum type piece - it's so unique and artistic and unusual!!! Just lovely.

Thanks kt! I think it's not only the style but also the gold looks antiqued in some way.

pregcurious said:
This is so stunning, and one of the most beautiful settings I've seen on PS. Congrats and thank you for sharing!

Thanks pregcurious! I'm really very pleased with how it turned out.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1317261421|3028396 said:
I think it's lovely, too. Do you like it?

Thanks NKOTB! I don't like it, I love it. :)

stargurl78 said:
I love opals! Yours is beautiful and that setting is just stunning! Very unique ring.
Thanks stargurl78! I never realized how much I liked opals until I owned one, they're so mesmerizing.

movie zombie said:
i absolutely think you have the best opal ring i've seen to date! it is unique, classy, and timeless!
Thanks MZ! I'm so pleased with how it came out. I'm sure it's conceited but I think my nieces will be lucky little buggers one day when they inherit my jewelry collection.

JewelFreak said:
Gorgeous work, Kismet, and just right to show off an opal; yours is such a nice one. The skill in that ring is superb! And he does it without 3 of his fingers, yike, what a talent!

-- laurie
Thanks JF! Heh, that was my first thought too when reading about him on his website. Well, ok, that was my second thought... my first thought was 'I need to have one of his rings."

talamasca said:
:love: :love: STUNNING! I love the design and millgrain
Thanks talamasca! I love all the millegraine too! I can't believe he put it on the underside of the bezel! Talk about finishing.

siamese3 said:
Wow! That is simply stunning on your hand. I think the setting really suits your stone in such a beautiful and unique way. Well done!

Thanks siamese3! I'm glad you think it looks good. I was a bit worried that the E/W setting made my fingers look pudgy.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1317258831|3028358 said:
I just spent some time on his website and am even more floored than before. I would go to Denver to take his 4 day class coming up but it is , understandably, already full. Wonderful find, Kismet!!

I know - I have been stalking him. My workshop list in the US is pretty short (since few teachers warrant an international trip): Cogswell, Good, Myra Grey, Revere and Thomas Herman (I already did Charles Lewton-Brain!). Next year, I hope to be able to afford the trip and strike Cogswell off the list and, hopefully, Herman as well.

Do you have Revere's Art of Jewelry Making book? He has a project there (master class level, of course) and it is very interesting to see how he combines all techniques in making a piece: wax work, fabrication, chasing, engraving...

Kismet - I saw his work once, on a very elegant lady who collects fine jewelry. So amazing!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I may have to change my plans and buy a stone as yet not planned for a project just to work with this guy. It seems like an adventure to use him, and if the whole project is built around that adventure, I think I could let go of the details.

Hmmm...what stone type and what type of budget?

Thanks for the review and the pictures. It is such a beautiful piece.

ETA - Do you feel comfortable giving a ballpark range on what you spent on the setting? I understand if not, but it would be helpful in planning a project.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
lavatea|1317315746|3028801 said:
I may have to change my plans and buy a stone as yet not planned for a project just to work with this guy. It seems like an adventure to use him, and if the whole project is built around that adventure, I think I could let go of the details.

Hmmm...what stone type and what type of budget?

Thanks for the review and the pictures. It is such a beautiful piece.

ETA - Do you feel comfortable giving a ballpark range on what you spent on the setting? I understand if not, but it would be helpful in planning a project.

Thanks lavatea! When we first talked on the phone he said a ring for that stone in a size 7.25 would probably cost between 2400 and 3400 depending on the details. I told him I'd rather not pay more than 3k unless he had a really great idea that would push it over. In which case, he should give me a call and we'd discuss it. I ended up paying under 3k.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Also, if it helps. Here are some of the inspiration pics that I sent him. I think I sent him a couple more than these 4 but these are the main ones.

This was probably the main inspiration piece. I liked the negative space, the slender stems and the not wholly open flowers.

I loved the look of the lotus flower but didn't want one as opened as the pic. Just use the center bit.

I love the sweet pea curlicues.

I love the contrast of the geometric border with the organic center. This one didn't really get incorporated into the design, which was fine as I wasn't expecting everything I sent to be incorporated. The double bezel made it in though.

7finsp3.jpg

7finsp1.jpg

7finsp2.jpg

7finsp4.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring -- thank you for the great photos, as well as sharing your inspiration photos. It looks substantial, but also finely crafted with delicate detailing. Lovely :love:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's a gorgeous ring, Kismet! :love: :love:

He's a really incredible artist and craftsman. I especially enjoyed seeing the inspiration pics you sent him, because seeing those, and then what he came up with, gives a tiny window into how his mind works. I love that!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow! :love:

cheers--Sharon

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kismet, I just took a look at his site -- wow, what beautiful work! His designs are incredibly graceful, as well as organic without being too much, a not-so-usual talent. AND he works with outside stones, how perfect can he get?

Oh boy, got to add him to my list of places I gotta go.

--- Laurie

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The craftsmanship is exquisite. I actually like it more than VC rings... it's got more flow!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
tsavvy said:
Gorgeous ring -- thank you for the great photos, as well as sharing your inspiration photos. It looks substantial, but also finely crafted with delicate detailing. Lovely :love:

Thanks tsavvy! It is pretty delicate for being a relatively large ring.

Aoife said:
That's a gorgeous ring, Kismet! :love: :love:

He's a really incredible artist and craftsman. I especially enjoyed seeing the inspiration pics you sent him, because seeing those, and then what he came up with, gives a tiny window into how his mind works. I love that!

Thanks Aoife! It was definitely interesting sending off pictures and getting back his interpretation.

canuk-gal said:
HI:

Wow! :love:

cheers--Sharon

Thanks canuck-gal!

JewelFreak said:
Kismet, I just took a look at his site -- wow, what beautiful work! His designs are incredibly graceful, as well as organic without being too much, a not-so-usual talent. AND he works with outside stones, how perfect can he get?

Oh boy, got to add him to my list of places I gotta go.

--- Laurie

I know! I love his pins especially. The one with the red rose is so different. And the thistle bracelet... TDF!

ForteKitty said:
The craftsmanship is exquisite. I actually like it more than VC rings... it's got more flow!

Thanks ForteKitty! Yes, I think he's more organic than VC.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Such amazing craftsmanship! Reminds me of Wink's late bench he wrote a touching tribute to.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful setting, the detailing is gorgeous. I'm not much of an opal fan, but I love this ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results