shape
carat
color
clarity

Online vs. B&M and Insurance Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heypete

Rough_Rock
Greetings, everyone. This is my first time posting here at pricescope, so please be kind and forgive me if I make some sort of faux pas. :)

I''ve done some perusing of the forums, but wasn''t able to find anything quite along the lines of these questions. If I may have missed something, I''d appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

I have two major questions, which I''ll divide into two parts:

Question #1 - Online vs. Brick & Mortar

I had looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and found an excellent three-stone setting at Whiteflash that is just what she was looking for.

I chose this diamond ("A Cut Above", Ideal cut, polish, and symmetry, 0.437ct, G color, SI1 [eye-clean] clairty)as the center stone and two non-ACA 0.25ct diamonds for the side stones, with both being similar in color, cut, and clarity to the center stone.

I decided to go with Whiteflash after perusing a few local jewelery stores and not being terribly impressed (Zales and Gordon''s were particularly irritating local stores). I ended up purchasing the ring and stones from Whiteflash, and should have them here in about 10 days.

Of course, things never go smoothly: I wanted to see comparable rings at local shops, as well as wanting to see which shops would be suitable for future service on the ring. I visited several different stores, and was quite impressed with Ben Bridge (they had almost the exact same ring, only it was $5,000 rather than $2,400, which is considerably more expensive, even considering that the BB setting was in platinum, and Whiteflash''s in white gold) and Helzberg. The latter had nearly the same ring, only it had 0.14ct sidestones, and cost $2,700.

What impressed me most about Helzberg was the customer service I received at two separate stores. Both were staffed with knowledgeable, friendly staff. Over the last few weeks I had tried to educate myself about the various properties of diamonds (of course, I''m still a rookie at this!
9.gif
), and once they noticed that I had some knowledge of the subject, they showed me precisely what I was looking for, and answered all the questions I had without being deceptive.

While Whiteflash certainly has excellent customer service and better prices, I noticed that Helzberg offered a sort of service plan: for a $150 one-time fee and regular six-month inspections (offered at no cost, of course), they would guarantee the ring and diamond, as well as provide cleaning, resizing, replating of the white gold, etc. as needed at no cost other than the initial one-time fee. If the diamond was lost, they would replace it with something comparable. All in all, not a bad deal...or so I think.

I''d hate to be penny-wise and pound-foolish by buying an admittedly very nice ring from Whiteflash, but without the same guarantees and support that a local (albeit chain) jeweler would offer for a relatively minor additional cost. I''d expect that replating and cleaning costs over a few years would likely exceed the savings I''d get from Whiteflash.

After such a long introduction, I''ll get to my question: What should I do? Would I be better off buying at a local retail store and getting the additional service plan, even if it means spending a bit more up front, or should I go with Whiteflash and forego the service plan offered by a local jeweler? Is there any aftermarket service plans offered by trustworthy retail/local jewelers that would cover a ring/diamond purchased from a third-party (e.g. Whiteflash)?

Any advice?

=========================

Question #2 - Insurance

I presently have several insurance policies with USAA (car, motorcycle [through a third-party], and renters). I''ve been looking at their Valuable Personal Property insurance to cover the ring.

Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when I call to ask them about a potential policy for this ring? Do most insurance companies cover loss or damage to the stone, what about cleaning and service? I suspect most policies will cover the first two, but not the cleaning and service.

My girlfriend is a high school math teacher, and it would not be unusual for her to bump her hand against the chalkboard, so such coverage against loss/damage would be nice.

Anyone have any ballpark figures one what one should pay for ~$2,500 in coverage? I''m just trying to make sure I don''t get ripped off.

Thanks again!
-Pete

beach

Brilliant_Rock
ACA stones will be WAYYY better than any helzberg stone. Who grades helzberg diamonds? Rhodium plating is inexpensive and insurance is very easy to come by. With Whiteflash you can trade up too. In regards to future replacement, i would look at helzbergs fine print before trusting what they say.

Just did a search on helzberg and found this site:

https://sharedreviews.com/review/review_view/11439-jewelry-helzberg-diamond-diamond-disaster

Here is a past thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/helzberg-masterpiece-help.65539/

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding the insurance, I''d call your Agent and ask specifically what''s covered under your renter''s insurance policy. More than likely, the ring would be covered up to a certain dollar amount for named perils such as wind and fire, and would be subject to deductible. So, if there''s a fire and the ring is destroyed, if you have a $500 deductible, you''d pay that first $500, and then insurance would kick in for the rest, up to whatever dollar amount is specified in your policy. If the ring is over that, you''d be responsible for the remaining amount. However, Renter''s isn''t going to cover if the ring is lost or a stone falls out. For that, you''d need a Personal Articles policy. That covers theft, a stone falling out, prong breaks, it gets lost. Requires an appraisal, and would be subject to deductible as well. Every company is going to be different as far as policy cost, so your Agent can best help you with that!

heypete

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 9:08:43 PM
Author: beach
Who grades helzberg diamonds?

All of their "Masterpiece" ones seemed to carry GIA paper. They certainly were nice looking diamonds, though I wish the side stones were a bit larger.

I can''t wait until the 29th when my order from Whiteflash comes in. I''m almost tempted to take it down to the local shops and compare. :)

Thanks for the links and advice. I''ve send a message to my insurance company and hope to see what their valuable personal property insurance covers.

Cheers!
-Pete

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 10:12:24 PM
Author: heypete

All of their ''Masterpiece'' ones seemed to carry GIA paper. They certainly were nice looking diamonds, though I wish the side stones were a bit larger.

I can''t wait until the 29th when my order from Whiteflash comes in. I''m almost tempted to take it down to the local shops and compare. :)

Thanks for the links and advice. I''ve send a message to my insurance company and hope to see what their valuable personal property insurance covers.

Cheers!

-Pete

Their masterpiece stones are generally well cut and GIA graded...but they charge an arm and a leg for them! As for insurance, also make sure you get to choose your OWN JEWELER in the event of a loss. Many insurance companies require that you work with their jewelers for replacement, and then their jewelers can only get you crappy stuff. A good jewelry only company for insurance is Jeweler''s Mutual. Many of us have policies through them as their prices are reasonable and their claims process is very simple.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

All of their ''Masterpiece'' ones seemed to carry GIA paper. They certainly were nice looking diamonds, though I wish the side stones were a bit larger.

Cheers!
-Pete
I think you''ll be very, very pleased with your Whiteflash. They''re called a cut above for a reason.

I have a Helzberg diamond anniversary ring (channel set semi-eternity) and just a word on their guarantee. You have to have the 6-month inspection, and get your paperwork signed and dated, or the guarantee is off until you do. This can get to be a hassle after a while. Also, it won''t cover you if the entire ring is lost. So, I''m glad to hear you are getting insurance for it. There are many jewelers who will inspect and clean your ring for you for free. This gives you a chance to hang around their shop, looking at the pretties, and possibly buying something from them in the future. I would pay for the replating as you need it. This probably won''t be all that often, unless she wears it in chlorinated swimming pools (please don''t), or is unfortuate enough to have the sort of body chemistry which causes it to wear off quickly.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to getting WF over Helzberg. Their stones are really overpriced and you''d STILL have to get insurance! I''d check WRF''s price for platinum, though, so you could eliminate the rhodium plating altogether.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

I hope you''ll do exactly that.

Not sure about once you decide it''s apples to apples (if you do).

If you miss a 6 month visit, your warrantee may be voided. Then again...I''m unusual here, and value having a place to go to for cleanings & such I feel I''d earned the right to go to...and haven''t figured that part out. But...most don''t worry about this. Re USAA...they''re a very well regarded company, regardless of who you buy from...but as I think Neatfreak points to...perhaps uniquely...they may work with their own vendors. Just make sure you get very fine appraisal documentation (better than will come with your WF diamond)...so that you''re satisfied that, in the case of a loss...USAA will replace like kind & quality. JM will let you choose your vendor...but first things first. Decide who you want your vendor to be.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For $150 ninety percent of their clients lapse within a year or less as it might be six months and a week until you remember to get it checked, and they do NOT send you a reminder. It is a cash cow for the jewelers.

Wink, who recommends you get real insurance.

heypete

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 10:36:42 PM
Author: Fly GirlI think you''ll be very, very pleased with your Whiteflash. They''re called a cut above for a reason.

That''s good to know. :)

I have a Helzberg diamond anniversary ring (channel set semi-eternity) and just a word on their guarantee. You have to have the 6-month inspection, and get your paperwork signed and dated, or the guarantee is off until you do. This can get to be a hassle after a while. Also, it won''t cover you if the entire ring is lost. So, I''m glad to hear you are getting insurance for it.

It''d be foolish to not buy insurance for such a valuable item. Are there people who don''t bother with insurance?

There are many jewelers who will inspect and clean your ring for you for free.

Could I trouble you to name a few? It''d be useful information in the future.

I would have no problem with looking at shinies in exchange for free inspections and cleanings.

I would pay for the replating as you need it. This probably won''t be all that often, unless she wears it in chlorinated swimming pools (please don''t), or is unfortuate enough to have the sort of body chemistry which causes it to wear off quickly.

Good to know about the chlorine. She''s a math teacher, so there''s not much harsh chemicals other than whiteboard markers. Any other pointers or tips on maintaining the plating and white gold?

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.

Wish me luck. I''m a bit nervous about the whole thing...butterflies in my stomach and whatnot.
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 11:30:14 PM

Author: Fly GirlI think you'll be very, very pleased with your Whiteflash. They're called a cut above for a reason.

It'd be foolish to not buy insurance for such a valuable item. Are there people who don't bother with insurance?

Could I trouble you to name a few? It'd be useful information in the future.
heypete - Once your lady has the ring, she can poke into local jewelry stones and simply ask. I have gotten my ring cleaned when travelling with no problem at a local jeweler wherever I happen to be. Your ring setting doesn't have any fussy pave, and should be an excellent choice for a teacher.

Yes, believe it or not, there are people who don't get insurance.

Good luck! You'll be fine.
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 11:42:12 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 12/14/2008 11:30:14 PM

Author: Fly GirlI think you''ll be very, very pleased with your Whiteflash. They''re called a cut above for a reason.

It''d be foolish to not buy insurance for such a valuable item. Are there people who don''t bother with insurance?

Could I trouble you to name a few? It''d be useful information in the future.
heypete - Once your lady has the ring, she can poke into local jewelry stones and simply ask. I have gotten my ring cleaned when travelling with no problem at a local jeweler wherever I happen to be. Your ring setting doesn''t have any fussy pave, and should be an excellent choice for a teacher.

Yes, believe it or not, there are people who don''t get insurance.

Good luck! You''ll be fine.
35.gif

In addition to this there are people who mistakenly believe that the "insurance" the jewelry store offers them is the same as getting a stand alone jewelry policy...

As for maintaining the WG plating, make sure she takes the rings off to clean with ammonia (windex) as that can wear the plating off as well. Basically keep it away from chemicals.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an engagement ring and signed up for valuable personal property insurance through USAA. My insurance premium was about $77 per year. They require an appraisal which I received from the B&M where I purchased the ring.

dave0311

Rough_Rock
Just got a policy w/ Jewelers Mutual for $26/yr for my $2,600 ring. no deductible.

They were recommended by JA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results