shape
carat
color
clarity

Online buying. Wish I found this forum earlier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I just recently discovered this forum, but wish I had found it a week ago. After reading through about 3 hours of posts, it looks like I may have screwed up. I ended up buying a ring on ebay
7.gif
It won''t be arriving until next week, but before I even see it, I think I''ll be attempting a return. There sure are lots of ebay horror stories on here!

The ring I bought from ebay seemed like a good deal (until I read information here) and to make matters worse, I found the exact ring Here at $300 less

If I am able to return it (I had it set in the yellow gold, and resized if that matters for a return)I''ll be doing much more reading here. I guess it''s true, you get what you pay for. I guess if this ring is a least worth what I paid, I''ll be (somewhat) happy. I get the feeling it wont be though. I guess I need to line up an appraiser in my area

Bill

(ps: I hope this is ok to post in this forum)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi FlameOut,

I don''t know what to say, except try and return it fast! It says that they need to have it within 7 days of YOU receiving it, so you might want to overnight it back to them just to be on the safe side. That being said, I don''t know if you''ll have time to get it appraised independently unless you can make an appointment now.

I think that you can do much better for close to the same price. If you did some research on here, you''ll know that you shouldn''t get clarity enhanced diamonds, should always look for GIA/AGS certifications, and the color/clarity should almost always be only rated on rating (i.e., NOT F-G). If you look on bluenile.com for example, you can get 3 1/3 carat diamonds for around $1,000 of much better quality than the ones in the ring you bought. Pair that with an inexpensive yellow gold setting, and you''ll be good to go.

If you''re not set on a 3 stone ring, you could get a great center stone within your budget that will sparkle like crazy and set it simply also. That might be another way to go.

All that being said, what''s important is that YOU like it. If you get it and it sparkles like crazy and you love it, then you could always keep it. You just might have overpaid for it, but in the end, if you love it, there''s no harm in it.

bfready

Rough_Rock
I know I''m pretty new to this, having not even purchased my diamond yet, but this GIG outfit looks a little shady to me. I don''t understand how they can have such a range for color grading. Besides the fact that Global International Gemologists sounds like it was created by someone in the Department of Redundancy Department, their email address is @yahoo.com.

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 3:11:01 PM
Author: bfready
A quick search of the forums yields this topic.

I did see that topic, but I ordered the ring earlier this week and just discovered this forum yesterday. I was a little concerned about buying from ebay, which is why I didn''t spend more than I did. My GF would probably be happy with this ring, but now I''ll always have my doubts about buying it and will wish I had done a little more homework

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
return it, please

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
HI
I just followed the link to what you bought and read the info
Your center stone is "clarity enhanced"............. due a search in this forum and you can read up on it

tHis ring because it has been artificially enhanced would never be GIA/ AGS graded. Read some of RockDock expert posts

I have never heard of lab they used for grading so sadly you cannot be sure of the quality at all but at aleast they disclosed it is "clarity enhanced"

Dont beat yourself up
Be gald you are educating yourself and send it back
Hopefully you charged it or did it through paypal for protection

Good luck

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d return it too. good luck!!

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
I''m wondering if I can just cancel my order before I even receive it. It hasn''t been shipped yet, because of me getting it resized. I''m just worried that if I try to cancel my order before it is shipped that they will tell me that it has been shipped and if that''s that case that they will know that I plan on returning it.

At least if I wait until I receive it, I can just tell them my reason for returning is because it''s not as clear or ''sparkly'' as I had hoped, or something like that

Is there a chance that it would be worth at least the $1,100 I paid? I just want something that is a nice size (this is one - .5 and two .25 diamonds) and wont cost an arm and a leg. I''m not looking to turn around and try to sell, I just want a ring that will look good on my GF finger and she is happy with

I knew to stay clear of the CE diamonds, but went ahead and did it anyhow (kicking myself now), figuring the only people that would know would be a jeweler when we took it to have cleaned.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it would ever be worth that much, but that is just my non-expert opinion. I am basing that on the fact that you can purchase three diamonds of those sizes that are NOT clarity enhanced from one of the PS vendors and it will also be of much better quality and surely a better cut too, for the same price. Add in an inexpensive setting and you''ve got the same ring, but much higher quality stones.

Will she notice? It depends. If her friends all have rings that are clarity enhanced or are poor quality, she might not. If her friends have nice stones, then she will certainly notice that hers doesn''t have as much fire or sparkle as theirs. On it''s own it won''t be bad, but as soon as you put it next to something of better quality the lack of brilliance will be apparent.

Your call...but I would return it if possible.

Best of luck.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Go to their feedback and read like ten lines down. Someone left a comment about prompt refund when they said they weren''t happy.

They aren''t out to scam, they are out to make money off people who don''t know better. There is a difference. I''d be willing to bet quite a bit they will refund you no problem.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 7:24:35 PM
Author: neatfreak
Will she notice? It depends. If her friends all have rings that are clarity enhanced or are poor quality, she might not. If her friends have nice stones, then she will certainly notice that hers doesn''t have as much fire or sparkle as theirs. On it''s own it won''t be bad, but as soon as you put it next to something of better quality the lack of brilliance will be apparent.
she will notice if she cleans the ring or drops it into an ultrasonic. the filling will come out or be damaged.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Flame,

In addition to the issue of clarity enhancement, the lab report is way too vague (VS-SI).
Any bona fide "laboratory" would never split grade to this extent.
Clarity enhanced diamonds on Ebay are everywhere.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 8:21:21 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Flame,

In addition to the issue of clarity enhancement, the lab report is way too vague (VS-SI).

Any bona fide ''laboratory'' would never split grade to this extent.

Clarity enhanced diamonds on Ebay are everywhere.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

I did ask them about the VS-SI, and was told that it''s the center stone that is VS and two side stones SI (but they are probably just telling me what I want to hear) I don''t know if I should even show my GF or return it as soon as it arrives (she knows it''s coming)

I''ll probably just return it, next day delivery, and take my losses and chalk it up to a learning experience

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you just explain to her that you''ve done a lot more research since you bought it and want to get her something that is much nicer quality (the key here is that it will SPARKLE a lot more), I am sure she''ll understand. You don''t have a lot of time to return, so I would just return it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely return it as soon as it arrives. Everyone has already explained the main reasons why. You can definitely do better!

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
Well, the ring arrived today, and I''ll be calling tomorrow for the return instructions. We both like the style of the ring, but the diamonds were bad. Much worse than I was expecting.

Now we''re looking at some of the respected online dealers, but it''s just hard finding something and hoping we''re not getting ripped off.

She''d really like to find a 3 stone band like the one I''m returning, and try to keep the total weight around 1.0 to 1.25 and no more than about $3000. Is this being unrealistic for some nice diamonds? Three diamonds totaling 1cw would be less than getting a Solitaire of the same weight, right? We like the Solitaires also

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d return it, GIG is not a recognized certification.....other red flags are present as well.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 8:06:27 PM
Author: FlameOut
Now we're looking at some of the respected online dealers, but it's just hard finding something and hoping we're not getting ripped off.
Just wanted to say that you should not let ebay turn you off to all online diamond buying. There is really no comparison between just about all ebay sellers and the really great reputable online sellers like Whiteflash and Good Old Gold. If you stick with either of the latter two, you WILL get a gorgous ring.

These aren't the only two really good sellers, but 2 of the most popular around here.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
How set are you on princess cuts?- this one looks kind of like a princess with corners cut off.... Its good for size if you don''t mind the color
http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-28.htm#

I also like this diamond:
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-160442.htm (its .643 carats)
with this setting
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/3Stone/Equality_1012.htm# .....for that three stone look for under $3000

I am no means a princess expert but i hope i gave you some ideas!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
This seller appears to be reasonably legitimate (compared to others), but here's a wrap-up of some of the misleading things I (and others) have noticed from the listing:

1. SquareTrade 'bid with confidence' seal. SquareTrade set out a code of conduct that sellers must abide by to continue to display the SquareTrade logo. They also have a dispute resolution service that either seller or buyer may instigate if the transaction goes sour, even leading to negative feedback being retracted.

However (!), SquareTrade don't monitor ebay sales or guarantee the authenticity of the sellers displaying their logo. In fact, they are funded by sellers, so you'll have to have a very clear cut case for them to say goodbye to a funder. If I was an ebay seller, I'd subscribe to them straight away, just to have a chance at getting negative feedback retracted.

2. "100% satisfied customer or 100% money back guarantee" - Well I've never got 100% back, purely because I've forked out shipping both ways ($50 here). Or did I misinterpret '100%'? I'm not saying it's unfair for the buyer to pay shipping, I just don't like the implication that there is absolutely no risk.

3. Ridiculously wide range of clarity - VS-SI means VS1 - SI3 at worst - 5 grades? Not sure I believe the manufacturers claim of VS center, SI side.

4. Total Retail Value $4500 - is this same ring offered somewhere else for $4500?

5. Sample appraisal posted from different ring. A $1500 sale isn't worth posting this ring's appraisal?

6. Symmetry grade of Excellent. Who says? It isn't on the appraisal.

7. Polish grade of Excellent. Again, it isn't on the appraisal.

8. Appraisal says 'Set on 14K White Gold Mounting" - I hope the band is 14K white gold too, just not the prongs!

9. Appraisal states (elevated) value is for Insurance purposes. I wouldn't be happy paying 3 times the appropriate premium just because of marketing.

10. Appraisal company in general. As bfready humorously pointed out, dodgy. The words 'Global' and 'International', as well as the attempt to sound like the GIA (GIG acronym and similar logo) are all red flags here. I wonder how much global international work they do? Can't see any accreditation by national appraisal societies or lab certification either.

11. The different ring on the sample appraisal shown just happens to have the same VS - SI clarity and F-G color as the ring for sale. Do they actually grade at all?

and last but not least:

12. The old 'Return Authorization Number' thingy - often designed to be hard to get (unanswered calls etc) to use up that 7 day return period.

13. The picture - those stones look much bigger than 0.5 center, 0.25 sides (unless the ring is ridiculously small). No, they say it's a size 6 ring... It does look, as the sellers says, 'Huge'. I'm confused. Shown below is a comparison against a 1 carat center stone ring from BlueNile (both rings supposedly size 6 (inner diameter remember), so scale in your head and see how big the ebay stones are!)

I don't think you'll have trouble returning the ring going by their customer satisfaction levels, unless they stick to their "Items must be in their original condition" clause and claim that the resize they did for you altered it from the 'original' (as sold) condition. I'm sure that'll be enough to stay in bed with SquareTrade and get your negative feedback removed.

And this ebay seller looks to be one of the better ones!

ebayblue2.gif

bfready

Rough_Rock
I''m pretty familiar with ebay, and I was wondering if you paid for the ring through Paypal. If you did, and even if they give you a hard time about a return, open a paypal dispute. Paypal''s dispute system favors buys 99.9% of the time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 8:53:16 PM
Author: jazmine
Just wanted to say that you should not let ebay turn you off to all online diamond buying. There is really no comparison between just about all ebay sellers and the really great reputable online sellers like Whiteflash and Good Old Gold. If you stick with either of the latter two, you WILL get a gorgous ring.

These aren''t the only two really good sellers, but 2 of the most popular around here.
Exactly.

With your budget, I would go for 3 stones now (may look a lil blingier to her), and go with someone who has a good upgrade policy (WF and GOG both do). Then down the road, if she wants, she can get a bigger stone, or stones.
9.gif

I have bought from both these companies, they are very reputable and honest.
2.gif

FlameOut

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips, links and advice :) I''ve been looking and I have been able to find some nice stones. Just need to find a similar band to hold the two-.25(+/-) ct stones and the one - .50ct (+/-)Just what exactly should I look for in a stone to get that sparkle and colors?

We''re gonna hit a few B/M stores today just to get some ideas and compare this ebay ring to some decent ones

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 9:28:59 AM
Thanks for all the tips, links and advice :) I''ve been looking and I have been able to find some nice stones. Just need to find a similar band to hold the two-.25(+/-) ct stones and the one - .50ct (+/-)Just what exactly should I look for in a stone to get that sparkle and colors?

We''re gonna hit a few B/M stores today just to get some ideas and compare this ebay ring to some decent ones

BE VERY CAREFUL!!! If you go to just any B&M you might not be seeing "good" stones at all. This applies to places like Kays, Jareds, Zales, etc. If you are going to go to a B&M, try to find out what is known in your area as the best local store. Go armed with your PS knowledge and watch out for a few things:

1. Unscrupulous B&M will NOT have certificates/stats easily available. SO ASK! They will just tell you that it is a "great" cut or very "sparkly". Ask them what they mean by "great" cut.
2. Many stores use their own grading system, so unless it is AGS or GIA certified, be aware that their "good" cut diamond might not be as good as something certified from AGS or GIA.
3. Beware of their lighting. It will make things sparkle like crazy in the store, but the stones might not be as nice outside.

If possible, ask to see stones that are:
1. AGS or GIA certified
2. Nothing below J in color (unless you are not color sensitive at all, and with YG you MIGHT be able to go a little lower)
3. Nothing below SI1 and ask if it''s "eyeclean". When you take it from them, can you see inclusions at about 10 inches away? If you can, so will everyone else, and it is not eyeclean.
4. If you find something you like at a B&M, find out all the details you can, including sizes, prices, and any details about the cut, depth, size in millimters etc. and post it here before you buy. There are some great B&M stores...but unfortunately many are NOT great and might rip you off too. If you post any specs you find on here, people can very easily tell you if it''s a good deal or not.

Finally...HAVE FUN!!! Go out and try on a bunch of different rings, in different colors and different clarities and see what you like. The most important thing is that you and your GF feel good about what you have bought.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 9:28:59 AM

blue nile had similar bands but i didn''t see any smaller sides that would work, that''s why i went to james allen. the ring with the preset sides seemed like a great option.

to get great rainbow sparkles, get a great cut!
36.gif

best of luck!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If the stones in the ring ARE clarity enhanced, no respectable lab would grade them as VS stones.

Most likely without the filling they would be I-1 to I-2 stones, all gussied up to "look" better.

Clarity enhanced wording terminology "softens" what these really are. Stones with cracks that break the surface.

The filling "hides" these cleavages or fractures, but doesn''t heal or remove the actual fracture.

Since major labs can''t grade these seeing the original condition, they grade them on the apparent clarity, This is why AGS and GIA, and many others ( including me ) won''t grade these diamonds. CE is certainly not a positive attribute.

Rockdoc

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
No offense to the original poster, but I have never understood what would motivate someone to want to buy an engagement ring off of eBay. Casual jewelry, yes, but an engagement ring?
33.gif

This is without even getting into the fact that eBay is a shark tank. You can get some good products and good deals (and I have myself), but you can also get eaten if you''re not very careful and don''t do your due diligence with both seller and product.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 1:49:30 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
No offense to the original poster, but I have never understood what would motivate someone to want to buy an engagement ring off of eBay. Casual jewelry, yes, but an engagement ring?
33.gif

This is without even getting into the fact that eBay is a shark tank. You can get some good products and good deals (and I have myself), but you can also get eaten if you''re not very careful and don''t do your due diligence with both seller and product.
Amen to that. I don''t get it eitther.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results