shape
carat
color
clarity

One week from wedding! Please help! white spot reflection?

kakagracie

Rough_Rock
We only have one week left from our wedding, and I just noticed that there's always a "white spot" near the center of my E-ring diamond looking from different angles, even from the center top. :confused: Please see photos attached. I suspect it's due to the cut. The GIA reports shows excellent cut and the HCA score is below 2. However, I purchased the diamond from blue nile and have white flash set it into U113. Is this completely normal and I'm just being paranoid, or should I ask for an exchange?

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements 7.64 - 7.66 x 4.72 mm
Carat Weight 1.70 carat
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Excellent

PROPORTIONS

Depth 61.6 %
Table 57 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

FINISH

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence None

Thank you so much for all the help!

img_12909.jpg

img_12910.jpg

img_12911.jpg

img_12912.jpg

kakagracie

Rough_Rock
Re: One week from wedding! Please help! white spot reflectio

Thanks for the reply! My issue is that the "white spot" isn't centered, it's more to the right side no matter how you wear it. Could this be due to the setting? I'm just so confused. :eh:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Do you have or can you get an ASET image of the stone? I'm thinking it might be a symmetry thing. A stone can be graded "excellent" symmetry but not be exactly hearts & arrows symmetry.

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately, I didn't ask for that and the store is now in my U113 setting. I'm not particularly looking for hears & arrows, but this "white spot" kinda keeps bothering me. Is this "white spot" thing completely normal for an excellent cut RB diamond? Do you think getting an hearts & arrows diamond would eliminate this problem?

Thank you so much for the help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The light from the centre is table reflection. In short, it is normal. The area should light up white whenever the arrows (contrast) appear black (as shown in those photos)

Though it is hard to tell what is happening, please remember that there are 8 pavilion facets underneath the centre. In some lighting conditions, not every pavilion facet lights up; only a few at a time, instead. This can give you an illusion that the table reflection is slightly off centre. Viewing angle and tilt angle can affect this.

Follow the link tyty provided. Watch the video and see how light reflection in the centre changes as the diamond rotates.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is a reflection of the feather or the feather itself inside the table on your plot. It is not plotted like a feather in the key to inclusions but as a dot which is probably the shape of it from table view. One of the experts Oldminer or Denverappraiser may be around later, they would know best.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does the stone look like it's set flat/straight in the setting (its not tilted right?)

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade

Making a mountain out of a non molehill.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Question - when you say it's to the "right," when you flip the ring over is it to the "left?"

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

Nope, it's always to the rightside. :eh:

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the help! really appreciated!

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

I see. Thank you so much for your help!

It's really hard to capture the "white spot" as the stone sparkles so much! Is it very likely I may find it on other diamonds? I'm still debating if it worths all the hassle to do an exchange and reset. :roll:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The pictures you posted are greater than 10x. Can you see the spot with the naked eye or rather can your fiancé or someone who does not know about it see it. If it is an inclusion at VS2 there will be something but you should not see it at arms length. However if you have spotted it under magnification and can then see it, that does not count.

I would not change the stone as the next one will have something too. It is not Internally flawless. Sometimes too we change something because we think another thing is better and then after we have had it a while we see something in the new one too.

Have you cleaned the stone since you got it, it may be something on the outside?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

In my opinion I really think you're just seeing the table reflection. Have you watched videos on youtube where you can see the same "white spot"?

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your feedback!

I can spot it with naked eye at arm length. I don't think any other people ever noticed it, not until I pointed it out. We specifically chose this VS2 stone for better value (vs VS1) and we thought it should be fine since all the small inclusions are outside the table.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The two feathers seem to be inside the table, is it not a reflection from that?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you draw a narrower red line around the spot. Not sure we know what to look at. I think this is not what you need
to be focusing on the week before your wedding. Speak to the Blue Nile and see if you can discuss with them after the wedding if it bothers you so much and get it in writing from them too.

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

Pyramid|1476117672|4085333 said:
Can you draw a narrower red line around the spot. Not sure we know what to look at. I think this is not what you need
to be focusing on the week before your wedding. Speak to the Blue Nile and see if you can discuss with them after the wedding if it bothers you so much and get it in writing from them too.

We spoke with Blue nile, they are super helpful, but I think I'll keep this diamond. No stone is perfect, and it's just too pretty to return it. It may just be table reflection after all. I agree with you that I may find something else that I dislike even I do an exchange.

Thanks for all the help! Now just I'll just sit back and relax. :bigsmile:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezDinX08BM

Please watch this video and skip to 3:10. When looking at those diamonds in the outside light (particularly the one on the right) can you see a similar spot?

As you can see the table reflection is not always symmetrical and uniform. It doesn't make sense that it's always on the right even upside down! This tells me it's a light phenomenon rather than an impurity. In my opinion it's highly unlikely that you are spotting a VS2 feather at arms length. I wouldn't want you to think your diamond has this abnormality when it is actually a perfectly normal diamond and that this is likely to be the case with any well cut diamond you come across.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it's always to the right it sounds like it's a reflection within the stone - an inclusion would rotate with the diamond, of course.

kakagracie

Rough_Rock

gm89uk|1476124502|4085372 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezDinX08BM

Please watch this video and skip to 3:10. When looking at those diamonds in the outside light (particularly the one on the right) can you see a similar spot?

As you can see the table reflection is not always symmetrical and uniform. It doesn't make sense that it's always on the right even upside down! This tells me it's a light phenomenon rather than an impurity. In my opinion it's highly unlikely that you are spotting a VS2 feather at arms length. I wouldn't want you to think your diamond has this abnormality when it is actually a perfectly normal diamond and that this is likely to be the case with any well cut diamond you come across.

Yes, I do see a similar spot. It seems more like a light phenomenon to me now. Thanks for all your help! Now I just need to enjoy this beautiful stone and stop worrying!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results