shape
carat
color
clarity

One stud is bigger than the other. Does this happen?

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I recently bought a pair of milgrain studs from BGD and I posted my story here -
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...th-milgrain-glamor-shots.160160/?hilit=glamor

So everybody who read my story knows that one of the diamonds was burnt during the bezel setting process and Brian replaced it with a I SI1 diamond that looked like a perfect match to my I SI2 diamond. Links to the diamonds are given below -

I SI1 - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366060

I SI2 - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771022

I received the stud with the I SI1 diamond today and I am very happy with it except when I put it next to my I SI2 stud I see that the I SI1 stud is visibly smaller. How can this happen if both the diamonds are of the same size I SI2 - 5.18×5.22×3.21 and I SI1 - 5.20×5.22×3.22?

Does anybody have this issue with their studs? I am happy that the issue is fixed but disappointed that I can see the visual difference. I am going on a vacation today and will be back after 17 days and my inspection period is 15 days from the day of receiving it and I don't know what to do. I am thinking may be I received a smaller diamond instead of the one that Brian picked for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If those measurements are correct, it cannot appear smaller. Is it perhaps the bezel that is a little different in size? That could have happened since they didn't have the other one at the time they made this one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305132896|2918647 said:
If those measurements are correct, it cannot appear smaller. Is it perhaps the bezel that is a little different in size?

My thoughts exactly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a couple of picture for us with them in the box.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I did take some pictures but cannot upload them until I go home this evening and I cannot take a decent photo with my iphone that shows the issue. :(

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Here are the pictures that show what I am seeing -

IMG_0780-1.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Wow. I see it! It is quite noticeable.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Call them right now. One is obviously bigger!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness. I have to go back to look at the reports.

Well, something is clearly wrong and it really doesn't look like different size bezels, but we can't see how much of each stone is covered either. I think you will HAVE to send both of them back. I hope you have already called but you need to let them know they need to come back. The stones are the same size according to the reports, so either the wrong stone was set or the bezels were made a different size, which could have happened since they remade the second one without the other being there.

I hate it that this has happened to you, but I am sure they will fix them. It's just a lot of trouble and I do understand that.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I definitely see what you're talking about. Call them ASAP :blackeye:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOA! That is a very noticeable difference.

I look forward to hearing what happened, here. What a strange situation!

stci

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Your absolutely right! There is a big difference!

Don't let it go... contact the seller asap to solve the problem!

I'm sorry for you Sweety!

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody for confirming what I am seeing. I did contact Jamie and she said that I may have to send them back(she did not see the images when I talked to her) but said that Brian will talk to me first. I did send them the 2 pics I posted her but have not heard back from Brian yet. She told me he will call me today as I am going to be out of the country tomorrow so I cannot send them back tomorrow. I will be back on the 31st but my 15 day inspection period will end before I come back so I hope BGD can extend the inspection period. I am disappointed and really wanted these studs to wear to my sister's wedding. I hope Brian will call me before I my flight departs tomorrow so that I can get on the flight less worried.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is one thing I'd be sure of, it is that they will see that this gets fixed for you!!! It is not your fault that the problem with first stone caused the replacement to come the day before you are leaving on a trip, and it certainly isn't your fault that the second diamond does not match the first! I know you are disappointed about not having them for the wedding, though. I'd just want to be sure I ended up with the larger stone and an appropriate match rather than the smaller one.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they take care of this for you ASAP and definitely match the larger diamond stud not the smaller one.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
DS when I contacted them first about my studs I did tell them about my vacation plans and told them that after the first issue was identified as well. It is frustrating that I have to through this now but I just don't understand how they could have put the wrong diamond in the stud because I got the right AGS certificate and I know it is definitely an I or higher because I can see the warmth in the diamond. Just seems very odd. My husband who could never see the first problem immediately noticed this so I know the diamond is smaller and it is not the bezel that is different.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree after seeing the pictures that the diamond appears to be smaller. It is just an unusual mistake to happen.

izumi

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry this happens to you twice in a row. :nono: I hope they have a good explanation and resolution for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very very strange. I await the resolution!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope/ am sure Brian will sort it out to your satisfaction. It's only fair they give you the extended return period. It's a bit strange though, wonder what's the cause? :confused:

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
All, I have an update, I spoke to Brian this morning and he told me that he is positive that I received the correct diamond and it may be the bezel that it causing them to look so different. He thinks it is because both the studs were not done at the same time. He also thinks that I am overly sensitive to the difference(I don't fully agree with him on that because the difference it quite visible even to my husband) He asked me not to worry about it and enjoy the studs on my vacation and get in touch with them once I am back and he will make arrangements to get the studs back to inspect and will either remake the bezels or find me new diamonds for the studs.

Anyway, I am happy I spoke to Brian before I left because I want to be happy with my studs and not see the difference every time I look at myself in the mirror.

I do have to say that BGD has good customer service. Brian is a pleasure to talk to and Lesley replied to my email at 12 AM today and I never spoke to her before.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the last steps in such a pair of earrings is putting the millgrained edge on. It is done with a rolling tool that is like a miniature pie edge crimper/cutter. Depending on the technique of each individual craftsman, this roler tool can be pressed directly downward, slightly inward or slightly outward. I think you may have one earring where the tool was pressed a bit inward or directly down, and one where the tool was slightly tilted outward making the edges of the upper part of the bezel look like a larger diameter on one than the other. It can be fixed and I'm glad to see you are going to be taken care of. Making any two items identically is a challenge when one is not there to create the exact copy. Even so, if a different jeweler makes each earring, they likely would not match perfectly until one is adjusted a bit. No way anyone admiring these earrings while they are being worn could possibly make a comparison and observe they have a very minor mis-match. When you wear such a pair of earrings no one can really see both at the same time in the way the photo shows them. I do agree they are a bit different right now, so you are not wrong. I do know how observant a jewelery owner can be. I hope they eventually give you total satisfaction.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oldminer Very interesting hypothesis!

Pinkprashu I also think no one will notice when you wear them, so enjoy them when you are away!

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
OldMiner, Thank you for the detailed explanation of what could be going on here.

Dreamer - I feel like everybody will notice the difference even if they are on separate ears and they are so far apart but I have to let go and enjoy them. I really do like the earrings and the diamonds and the way they are made individually so I will try to enjoy them separately just not together :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you talk to Brian? You will send them back when you return from your trip, right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
pinkprashu|1305213798|2919670 said:
All, I have an update, I spoke to Brian this morning and he told me that he is positive that I received the correct diamond and it may be the bezel that it causing them to look so different. He thinks it is because both the studs were not done at the same time. He also thinks that I am overly sensitive to the difference(I don't fully agree with him on that because the difference it quite visible even to my husband) He asked me not to worry about it and enjoy the studs on my vacation and get in touch with them once I am back and he will make arrangements to get the studs back to inspect and will either remake the bezels or find me new diamonds for the studs.

Anyway, I am happy I spoke to Brian before I left because I want to be happy with my studs and not see the difference every time I look at myself in the mirror.

I do have to say that BGD has good customer service. Brian is a pleasure to talk to and Lesley replied to my email at 12 AM today and I never spoke to her before.

Did you see this DS?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305222115|2919812 said:
pinkprashu|1305213798|2919670 said:

Did you see this DS?

Ha! Thanks, Dreamer! I read Old Miner's and did not see her post right before it! Sounds like we were right after all about the bezels, but it is really interesting that they could turn out so differently!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oldminer|1305215638|2919696 said:
One of the last steps in such a pair of earrings is putting the millgrained edge on. It is done with a rolling tool that is like a miniature pie edge crimper/cutter. Depending on the technique of each individual craftsman, this roler tool can be pressed directly downward, slightly inward or slightly outward. I think you may have one earring where the tool was pressed a bit inward or directly down, and one where the tool was slightly tilted outward making the edges of the upper part of the bezel look like a larger diameter on one than the other. It can be fixed and I'm glad to see you are going to be taken care of. Making any two items identically is a challenge when one is not there to create the exact copy. Even so, if a different jeweler makes each earring, they likely would not match perfectly until one is adjusted a bit. No way anyone admiring these earrings while they are being worn could possibly make a comparison and observe they have a very minor mis-match. When you wear such a pair of earrings no one can really see both at the same time in the way the photo shows them. I do agree they are a bit different right now, so you are not wrong. I do know how observant a jewelery owner can be. I hope they eventually give you total satisfaction.

That's really interesting Oldminer!

PinkPrashu - I am completely certain that noone admiring them on your ears will notice any difference whatsoever, so do try to enjoy them until you ship them back after your trip :sun:

Putting my calipers to my monitor - the first pic shows a significant size difference, but in the second both look to be the same size, so I am wondering if one stud is just a bit closer to the camera in that first pic? Well, no matter what the cause, I am confident that BGD will address the issues to your satisfaction.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm happy to know they will solve your problem but I'm really positive those diamonds are not the same size. The difference is too important to be only a setting work problem. Just my 2 cents.

pinkprashu

Shiny_Rock
I have an update for you all. I got to speak with Brian on Friday after sending the studs back on the 2nd(Brian's daughter is getting married this weekend and so he was not available all week except Friday to talk to me). And he said he could clearly see the difference. He said that he can remake the bezel of one of the studs to match the other one. But I told him that I have a change of heart and would like to instead have the diamonds set in BGD 4 prong setting in platinum. He said that is fine but wants to have the diamonds taken off the bezels first to inspect the diamonds to see if they are good match in size. He was also suggesting that they will get new inventory this week and that he can try to find me a better pair. For me this is interesting because on paper the diamonds are pretty similar in size so I am not sure if he is indicating that one of the diamonds is smaller than the other. Size aside the diamonds are worn on different ears so I am not so concerned with the lgf's and table sizes etc.(even though I would love them to be twins). I am also worried that if one of the diamonds turns out smaller than the other and if he can't find a good replacement for it I will have to wait longer to get something that matches and potentially pay more money considering the prices are going up and up.

I asked Jamie to take a picture with both the diamonds after they are taken out of the bezel and send it to me. She has just sent me an email that I will receive the pics by the end of this week. I have sent the diamonds back on the 2nd and I had to wait a week to speak to Brian and have to wait another week to receive pics of the diamonds next to each other. This is just taking a little bit too long for me to be patient. This is so frustrating. I started this is in mid April and this is mid June almost and still have no clear idea when this will be done. I am done ranting now but I am kicking myself that I did not go with WhiteFlash for this project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results