shape
carat
color
clarity

One out of three, opinions please!

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
IMG_4343.jpg IMG_4344.jpg IMG_4345.jpg

Hi all, I have narrowed down my choices to the above three diamonds. They are very similar in terms of weight ( can be pairing into earings without telling the size difference), in the same color and clarity (IF).

One is slightly smaller than the other two and surely slightly cheaper too, all three's table diameters true to size.

I am sorry for not being able to post the full GIA report as these things goes too quickly and we have spent a fair amount of time on it and want to make a decision finally but apparently a very tough choice for us.

So if price difference isn't a consideration and We can't obtain the ASET or Ideal Scope image and for those three which one shall I pick?

Thank you very much for your reply!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 would be my choice. Smaller table and CA close to my ideal at 34.5. But, the numbers don't guarantee it is cut well, has good symmetry and will perform well. Have you at least seen pictures? I'm not clear on why there is such time pressure---but I would not buy without vetting with a photo and video unless they have an amazing, no questions asked return policy.

Last edited:

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
#2 would be my choice. Smaller table and CA in my ideal at 34.5. But, the numbers don't guarantee it is cut well, has good symmetry and will perform well. Have you at least seen pictures? I'm not clear on why there is such time pressure---but I would not buy without vetting with a photo and video unless they have an amazing, no questions asked return policy.

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
=)2
#2 would be my choice. Smaller table and CA in my ideal at 34.5. But, the numbers don't guarantee it is cut well, has good symmetry and will perform well. Have you at least seen pictures? I'm not clear on why there is such time pressure---but I would not buy without vetting with a photo and video unless they have an amazing, no questions asked return policy.

thank you so much! Will try to get photos of them and compare. Will keep your advise in mind!
There are other buyers looking at the same thing atm and we found something nice but sold not long ago, making us want to make a decision quicker this time. =)2=)2=)2;-) maybe not worth to rush it though.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these are to be paired into earrings it would be nice to see them side by side. Also, do you really need IF clarity? To me that is overkill for earrings when no one will be seeing them close up. You could easily go down to VS2, most of those will be eye clean anyway.

Nicccc

Rough_Rock

Oops, sorry the second one also has a CA at 34 but not 34.5 though. Sorry for the small print.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, sorry the second one also has a CA at 34 but not 34.5 though. Sorry for the small print.
=)2

thank you so much! Will try to get photos of them and compare. Will keep your advise in mind!
There are other buyers looking at the same thing atm and we found something nice but sold not long ago, making us want to make a decision quicker this time. =)2=)2=)2;-) maybe not worth to rush it though.
Your call. If you want to post your budget and wants (color, clarity, size, shape) we can have a look. At the very least, we'll walk you through why we make the choices we do.

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
If these are to be paired into earrings it would be nice to see them side by side. Also, do you really need IF clarity? To me that is overkill for earrings when no one will be seeing them close up. You could easily go down to VS2, most of those will be eye clean anyway.

Thank you for replying.

Sorry not being clear enough. It was just an example of the size, because we didn't feel like to post the full report, it's for a ring.

I guess it's a personal choice to go for IF, after comparing them in a local jewellery shop we decided to go for it. She had diamonds before and got a clue re the difference. ( ie. eye clean etc)

In fact we found it far more complicated to choose from a VVS1/2 than a IF.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for replying.

Sorry not being clear enough. It was just an example of the size, because we didn't feel like to post the full report, it's for a ring.

I guess it's a personal choice to go for IF, after comparing them in a local jewellery shop we decided to go for it. She had diamonds before and got a clue re the difference. ( ie. eye clean etc)

In fact we found it far more complicated to choose from a VVS1/2 than a IF.
At VVS, if she can see flaws, she must have beyond 20/20 vision. =)2You need 10x magnification to see anything at VVS. Heck, most can't see VS inclusions. My dad happen to have beyond 20/20 close vision and still would struggle to see GIA VVS flaws...

Edited to add...if she is seeing differnce between IF and VVS, I would bet it has to do with the cut of the diamond (different angles/precision). Do you have a super-ideal vendor in your area? (Hearts on Fire, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash and Brian Gavin are in Texas). If so, go there and ask them to show you VVS and VS stones. I think you might find that due to the very narrow cutting parameters (i.e., controlling for more variables), she may have not ability to tell most of them apart. I could be wrong, but given the cost difference, it may be a worthwhile test.

Last edited:

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
At VVS, if she can see flaws, she must have beyond 20/20 vision. =)2You need 10x magnification to see anything at VVS. Heck, most can't see VS inclusions. My dad happen to have beyond 20/20 close vision and still would struggle to see GIA VVS flaws...

Edited to add...if she is seeing differnce between IF and VVS, I would bet it has to do with the cut of the diamond (different angles/precision). Do you have a super-ideal vendor in your area? (Hearts on Fire, Crafted by Infinity, Whiteflash and Brian Gavin are in Texas). If so, go there and ask them to show you VVS and VS stones. I think you might find that due to the very narrow cutting parameters (i.e., controlling for more variables), she may have not ability to tell most of them apart. I could be wrong, but given the cost difference, it may be a worthwhile test.

Oh, no sorry we are not talking about we can see inclusion in person. We are fully aware the class of GIA standard is under 10x magnifier.

As I said it's a person choice. Thanks a lot for the websites! It's very handy!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been 10x looping my new diamond [VS1] for two days and still haven’t located a single inclusion, even with my GIA report to guide me.
I know people prefer FL for some reason, but I’m more comfortable with a stone that has an identifying inclusion...even if I can't loupe it at home.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
Oh there is one more we are not sure. What do you say? Thanks a lot!

But for this one what annoying us is the Carat weight is at the margin, due to the cutting, in other words table far smaller than a 3EX diamond suppose to be.

So # 4 is as following:
IMG_4350.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 and #4 would be worth considering. Photos, video and IS (you can buy your own) will really tell you if the diamond is worth the cost.

...the Carat weight is at the margin, due to the cutting, in other words table far smaller than a 3EX diamond suppose to be.

I don't understand what you mean. We routinely consider diamonds from 52-57.5 % table (up to 58 are considered by some, I just like smaller tables). Both GIA Excellent and AGSL Ideal includes tables down to 52% and AGSL table up to 62% (though not many PA/CA combos).

You can look at your diamonds against the AGSL cut chart as they are pretty easy to review and AGSL is tighter on cutting grading (https://agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf) and the HCA tool (less than 2.0 is worth consideration; complimentaryness of angles). If the spread is small for the weight, that is usually due to a deeper than ideal (over 63.2% depth) or thicker girdle. Very high crown angles can also hide weight depending on the PA pairing.

When using the AGSL chart, keep in mind that GIA rounds the angles. So, given that we don't know how they rounded and a known weight-retention strategy is to vary pavilion angles, I look at on box to the right-left and two to the top-bottom to get a sense of how AGS would rate the stone.

upload_2017-11-18_8-15-31.png

Bottom line, consider any table between 52-58% (I cut off table at 57.5 due to my personal preference for firey stones).

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
#2 and #4 would be worth considering. Photos, video and IS (you can buy your own) will really tell you if the diamond is worth the cost.

...the Carat weight is at the margin, due to the cutting, in other words table far smaller than a 3EX diamond suppose to be.

I don't understand what you mean. We routinely consider diamonds from 52-57.5 % table (up to 58 are considered by some, I just like smaller tables). Both GIA Excellent and AGSL Ideal includes tables down to 52% and AGSL table up to 62% (though not many PA/CA combos).

You can look at your diamonds against the AGSL cut chart as they are pretty easy to review and AGSL is tighter on cutting grading (https://agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf) and the HCA tool (less than 2.0 is worth consideration; complimentaryness of angles). If the spread is small for the weight, that is usually due to a deeper than ideal (over 63.2% depth) or thicker girdle. Very high crown angles can also hide weight depending on the PA pairing.

When using the AGSL chart, keep in mind that GIA rounds the angles. So, given that we don't know how they rounded and a known weight-retention strategy is to vary pavilion angles, I look at on box to the right-left and two to the top-bottom to get a sense of how AGS would rate the stone.

upload_2017-11-18_8-15-31.png

Bottom line, consider any table between 52-58% (I cut off table at 57.5 due to my personal preference for firey stones).
oh, thank you so much!!!

Where can I buy the IS btw?

Nicccc

Rough_Rock

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can make more suggestions, but you have to give us some parameters. We know IF and round, but what is your budget, size and color goal?

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
Oops, here are the photos

image.png image.png
Thanks a lot!

I have the heart and arrows of #4

It doesn't look that perfect but open to any suggestion?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1 MB · Views: 12

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
We can make more suggestions, but you have to give us some parameters. We know IF and round, but what is your budget, size and color goal?

Oh, I am terribly sorry. I was seeking for comments re the heart and arrow photos I posted in the second last post. I didn't mean I was looking for more choices... ( sorry will have to hide the details for some reason.)

Thank you so much for your help!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H&A shows hearts with tears and the pigeon toes vary both in size (left/right leg) distance from the bottom of the hears, and vary in size between them. Its not terrible, but not great and would not get H&A rating.
upload_2017-11-18_10-0-52.png

Have you looked at super-ideal diamonds? They will tick all the boxes for cut and fire and there will be no worries about H&A. You also won't be in the position of buying blind. Just some examples around 1 carat.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3916963.htm
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond..._arrows-EX-GIA-D-IF-diamond-stock-14913-cert-
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ils/1.020-d-if-round-diamond-ags-104078383007

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The H&A shows hearts with tears and the pigeon toes vary both in size (left/right leg) distance from the bottom of the hears, and vary in size between them. Its not terrible, but not great and would not get H&A rating.
The defects in the "pigeon toes" are mostly due to alignment issues with the scope, diamond and camera.
The differences in the hearts are due to slight variations in the lower girdle length.
While some would argue that its not h&a, visually that small a difference in lgf is not going to be eye visible in many combinations.
In diamonds in the steep deep range it could show more leakage on the ones without the cleft in the hearts in ASET/IS.

Last edited:

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot!!!

Have you looked at super-ideal diamonds? They will tick all the boxes for cut and fire and there will be no worries about H&A. You also won't be in the position of buying blind. Just some examples around 1 carat.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3916963.htm
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond..._arrows-EX-GIA-D-IF-diamond-stock-14913-cert-
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ils/1.020-d-if-round-diamond-ags-104078383007

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your advise! Really appreciated!
The defects in the "pigeon toes" are do to alignment issues with the scope, diamond and camera.
The differences in the hearts are due to slight variations in the lower girdle length.
While some would argue that its not h&a, visually that small a difference in lgf is not going to be eye visible in many combinations.
In diamonds in the steep deep range it could show more leakage on the ones without the cleft in the hearts in ASET/IS.

Nicccc

Rough_Rock
IMG_4375.JPG IMG_4297.PNG
Your welcome.

Thanks and I am going to post photos of those four and can you / and any other who is reading kindly give your opinion? I will post one by one.

7.34-7.38*4.43mm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results