shape
carat
color
clarity

one more thing... regrets on coloured e ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Reading this thread reminds me of why I love lurking here so much! I had a conventional diamond e-ring (I still love it, it''s a beautiful dainty antique ring from the 40''s) when we got married 10 years ago. But for my 10th I was wanting a little more bling (for lack of better word). It was just as much about liking a little sparkle as it was wanting to reflect how much more in love I am with my husband today than when I first married him and what an amazing marriage I think we have.

My husband on the other hand wasn''t to keen on the idea. He sometimes feels like jewelry and the commercials & marketing out there makes women seem shallow as if their love can be bought with a "shiny thing". He resented thinking that had to keep-up-with-the-Joneses by buying a bigger diamond. HE was the one who suggested looking at colored stones.

It makes me laugh because he''s exactly what Swimmer wondered about women who wear colored stones. My husband fits it to a "T"!. He''s "strong willed and willing to be unconventional, unafraid of what the masses think".

So with his blessing I started looking at blue sapphires since it''s a color we both love. The more I looked around, the more I fell in love with colored stones. And to be frank (my husband doesn''t know this yet) even though I now found a BEAUTIFUL SAPPHIRE RING (see my post "WOO-HOO, I THINK I FOUND my 10 year anniversary") I can TOTALLY relate to what Pandora II said "get into coloured stones and it gets expensive - one is never enough." I find myself looking on line ALL THE TIME because I too have fallen in love with the warmth and personality that colored stone display in all their glory.

So just say "Amen" to all the wise people who posted before me - the ring/stone should ''speak'' to you. You should find yourself just staring at it and getting lost in the sparkle. But most of all, I personally think, let the whole process be just as much about coming together as TWO SEPARATE PEOPLE into ONE union. I would have just gone with a larger or better cut stone but because I was able to do this with my husband, the ring is even more a reflection of our relationship and how we worked together to find something beautiful. That makes the "bling" even more special.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 6:25:59 PM
Author: belleetbonne
So just say ''Amen'' to all the wise people who posted before me - the ring/stone should ''speak'' to you. You should find yourself just staring at it and getting lost in the sparkle. But most of all, I personally think, let the whole process be just as much about coming together as TWO SEPARATE PEOPLE into ONE union. I would have just gone with a larger or better cut stone but because I was able to do this with my husband, the ring is even more a reflection of our relationship and how we worked together to find something beautiful. That makes the ''bling'' even more special.

Hear hear, very well put!

mollie

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is an aquamarine with a halo and I would never give it up for the world. It fits me perfectly - it''s a ring that just screams "me."

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 3:16:58 PM
Author: FrekeChild

...sigh...I really need to figure out a stone type at least...

Maybe you''ll be like me. I very logically figured out what I liked and wanted and could afford and would be practical, and went looking for a silver blue spinel. Then I accidentally found MY stone in the pad section on NSC. I bet you''ll "accidentally" end up with something completely different than you''d planned, just because it''s YOUR stone.
1.gif

To the OP, I definitely love my coloured stone ering, and so does my FI. It startles people when they first see it though - I hear a lot of "...oh! It''s pink!" But since I love it, I love telling them about my beautiful sapphire. If I kind of sort of wanted a diamond, I think that would be tough.

For a while, I wanted an Alexandrite, and convinced myself that a lab created one would be a very beautiful and practical choice. I''ll probably get one, one of these days. But I came to realize that I would always feel that I had to defend my choice, and that would get super old.

I like my coloured stone because it feels very warm to me, like a heart. It changes colour in every light, so it''s interesting to look at. It feels very personal, where the diamonds I tried on were sparkly and gorgeous, but kind of interchangeable.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:24:14 PM
Author: pjean
Maybe you'll be like me. I very logically figured out what I liked and wanted and could afford and would be practical, and went looking for a silver blue spinel. Then I accidentally found MY stone in the pad section on NSC. I bet you'll 'accidentally' end up with something completely different than you'd planned, just because it's YOUR stone.
1.gif

I like my coloured stone because it feels very warm to me, like a heart. It changes colour in every light, so it's interesting to look at. It feels very personal, where the diamonds I tried on were sparkly and gorgeous, but kind of interchangeable.
I totally agree with the bolded part. That's what I'm looking forward to.

As for the first part, I'm leaving it up to FF's hands. He gets to figure out which stone is most me. I've told him about the topaz, but I'm thinking that I'll tell him to look for blue/green sapphires too. He's pickier and more color sensitive than I am-but in a good way, so I'm expecting to love whatever it is he picks out for me. So I don't get to find my stone, I just have to trust him to do it. (Which is hard in a way, but I'm looking forward to be surprised.)
1.gif

BTW a silver blue spinel sounds amazing...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:24:14 PM
Author: pjean

It feels very personal, where the diamonds I tried on were sparkly and gorgeous, but kind of interchangeable.

WORD!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring is a superb 1930''s antique 3 tone ring. 1.25 transitional cut diamond on each side with a deep blue center sapphire in an intricae platinum setting. I love how the center sapphire gives different color flashes to the diamonds on each side... It''s captivating and I NEVER regretted it. I do however love to be be able to change the look of it with different bands.
31.gif

belleetbonne

Rough_Rock
Amethyste - do you have pictures posted somewhere? Your ering sound divine and right up my alley!

valleygirl

Rough_Rock
GO FOR IT!!!

I am in the process of picking everything out for my fabulous blue sapphire e-ring!!! I went with Pandora''s suggestion and contacted Wink Jones and he has been just fabulous. The closer I get to completion the more excited I get. It''s going to be concave brilliant cut (by none other than the fabulous Richard Homer.) I knew I wanted a very simple design, either a solitaire or one large stone w/ a thin pave band. If it''s going to be that simple, the stone must be absolutely fantastic. I am in total agreement with these lovely ladies... diamonds, although wonderful in their own special way, are kind of boring. I want smething with character, something people will notice. When I see a diamond e-ring, well, to be honest I really don''t pay attention. I have yet to see someone on the street with a colored e-ring, I would notice that. I want my ring to be noticed, drooled over, and talked about. I want people to see it and ask what it is, when I say sapphire, I know I''ll see shock and comments something close to "I didn''t know sapphire could look that way!" I know I will never regret going the unconventional way, and niether will my BF.

My BF is in total agreement with me on this... we aren''t your dime-a-dozen people and he told me the sweetest thing "I want something fit for a princess because that''s what you are: my princess." He went on to tell me about Princess Diana''s e-ring (which I already knew) but it was just wonderful. what a guy!

My advice: get what just sings!!! If you need help, well, that''s why we come here. There are lots of experienced jewelers out there that are more than willing to help you through the process, because to be honest, colored stones just aren''t as well known by the mainstream crowd. In the end though, it''s all about you. Do what you want. I think colored stones are just fabulous and totally addicting. You won''t be tired of them.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lol. I''ll have a colored stone ering and my only problem is that I can''t nail down a colored stone that I want. I flip flop back and forth between a swiss blue topaz and some kind of funky sapphire (mostly because of stone strength and cleavage issues) but the one thing that never waivers is that I want a colored stone. Now the color may change a bit, but it''s always a color. No offense to all of the diamond people on the board, but I personally just find diamonds be be a bit boring. And even though it''s my birthstone, I don''t really want one. That is, of course unless I find a 2ct+ M+ OMC or OEC that has tons of personality-but I still wouldn''t want that for my ering. I want my ering to be full of color and jump out at you for the color-not the sparkle.

Then again, you might have been able to figure all of this out from my ever-growing gemstone collection.

Go for the best of both worlds...get a colored diamond! Some of them can be very reasonable, especially the brown tones.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Holla Belleetbonne :)

I sure do! But since I bought the ring as an antique, the sapphire was scratched to hell with nano chips on the table - so I picked a non heated, non treated sapphire to replace it with - it is at the moment at the jeweler getting changed and all the prongs re-tipped. I should get it back in about 5 days or so... I can however post a picture of what it was - it will be a little different since the sapphire I picked has a vivid medium blue with violet undertones - I cant wait...

But here it is for you... :)

amazing7.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
here''s a shot of the gallery :)

I will "officially" post pics when I get it back with the new sapphire :)

amazing9.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
and on the hand with band... Its old and its pretty - melts my heart everytime I look at it :)

set555.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 6:18:58 PM
Author: Amethyste
and on the hand with band... Its old and its pretty - melts my heart everytime I look at it :)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*SWOON* it''s beautiful!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, Amethyste, that''s astonishing.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
THank you gals...
:) I cant wait to get it back from the jeweler... :) I miss it so much...
15.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 6:12:48 PM
Author: Amethyste
Holla Belleetbonne :)

I sure do! But since I bought the ring as an antique, the sapphire was scratched to hell with nano chips on the table - so I picked a non heated, non treated sapphire to replace it with - it is at the moment at the jeweler getting changed and all the prongs re-tipped. I should get it back in about 5 days or so... I can however post a picture of what it was - it will be a little different since the sapphire I picked has a vivid medium blue with violet undertones - I cant wait...

But here it is for you... :)
Awesome!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results