shape
carat
color
clarity

One dark diamond, brilliance issue?

DoctorGirly

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thrilled to say that I just got engaged over the weekend! The ring wasn't a surprise, as I designed it from scratch, and it came out exactly to my specifications, except for one small issue...

One of the diamonds in the band isn't 'performing' as well as the others, and I would like to know the terminology of what may be going on, so I know what to say on the phone to the jeweler to adequately describe the situation as well as possible. The diamond gets darker in certain lighting (usually in lower-lit areas). It's very difficult to catch this on camera, but I think I snapped a shot that adequately shows what's going on.

Look in the middle of the band, do you see the dark spot?
SidestoneIssue.jpg

A photo of the center diamond just for comparison. Still working on taking nice closeups of the ring!
Closeup.jpg

It only happens sometimes, but enough that I'm constantly looking for it and worrying about it, and I can always pick that one specific diamond out of all the sidestones. I plan on calling the jeweler tomorrow to explain what's going on, and to set up an appointment to fix it, which I guess means changing the diamond. What should I say is going on when I call him? Is the right terminology that "one of the side stones is lacking the *brilliance* of the others?"

For the record, the center diamond is a 2ct. F SI1. (GIA #2135158410), and the jeweler said that the side stones would all be similar. The color and sparkle of the 'odd diamond' seems correct in most lights, but the few times I catch it looking grey and dull it makes me unhappy. Any help in what I can say or do would be appreciated!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a number of things, I'm thinking - polishing compound under the stone or inclusions that are more noticeable in some lights where the stone isn't distractingly blazing white, or perhaps a sizable chip that's visibly affecting light return, if it's not localised to one part of the stone it could be that that stone has an oddly dark body colour or is very poorly cut..

Your jeweller will be able to tell you more w/ an examination w/ loupe/microscope and a good cleaning.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1304929407|2916059 said:
It could be a number of things, I'm thinking - polishing compound under the stone or inclusions that are more noticeable in some lights where the stone isn't distractingly blazing white, or perhaps a sizable chip that's visibly affecting light return, if it's not localised to one part of the stone it could be that that stone has an oddly dark body colour or is very poorly cut..

Your jeweller will be able to tell you more w/ an examination w/ loupe/microscope and a good cleaning.

well said

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melee diamonds are not expensive, your jewler should just replace it for you, no big deal. I would tell the jeweler that one of the diamonds is "dark" or "dead looking" and you would like it replaced.

DoctorGirly

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone for the insightful replies. I brought the ring in today, and the jeweler replaced the 'dull offender' in less than an hour! And, it just turned out to be dirt under the stone anyway. Regardless, it's gorgeous now, and I can enjoy it how it is meant to be enjoyed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great! Now you can enjoy your beautiful ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results