shape
carat
color
clarity

On the search for a 3ct + blue sapphire

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Based on the photos both of these stones either have windows or tilt windows. My guess is they are both windowed. Can you see them in person?

Edit I just realized you are not the OP. I take it you have both stones in your possession. If you want to sell either then you should read the pricescope policy on trade members.
Thanks for your comments, but I´m not at all interested in selling them.
Windows...? In person I didn´t see them-

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
OK guys.... Update!!! Jeff sent me a video of what he was able to source... I feel sneaky I'm even putting it up here but its so exciting and I just cant help but show y'all. So this is the cushion he sent to me today. It does have a window and some colour zoning but I'm just so excited... it feels like he's getting close!!
For your viewing pleasure:
I don't think this is the "one" to this but love the colour and the size is good (close to 7x10mm!!)
Thoughts?!

Mauriceo

Rough_Rock
I haven't been on this forum for some time but wanted to chime in. Do you want a pure blue in all lighting or a color change? I know of an unheated about 3.5 ct color change from blue to violet sapphire that is very nice. I know the vendor is away for the holidays. I don't think the stone is up on his website yet. I believe the stone is about $2,000/ct.

I don't know why my id seems to have changed. It used to be MJO.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK guys.... Update!!! Jeff sent me a video of what he was able to source... I feel sneaky I'm even putting it up here but its so exciting and I just cant help but show y'all. So this is the cushion he sent to me today. It does have a window and some colour zoning but I'm just so excited... it feels like he's getting close!!
For your viewing pleasure:
I don't think this is the "one" to this but love the colour and the size is good (close to 7x10mm!!)
Thoughts?!
I love the color! I am ok with color zoning, but worry about the window and the stone going a bit dark. But I think this is an exciting start!!!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't been on this forum for some time but wanted to chime in. Do you want a pure blue in all lighting or a color change? I know of an unheated about 3.5 ct color change from blue to violet sapphire that is very nice. I know the vendor is away for the holidays. I don't think the stone is up on his website yet. I believe the stone is about $2,000/ct.

I don't know why my id seems to have changed. It used to be MJO.

I remember you!! Welcome back!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@torontocatlady I think that color is gorgeous in the loose stone, and the size and dimensions are good, but with that saturated color it's hard to tell if the sapphire has a good cut. I would worry a bit about how much darker it would look in a setting.

Speaking from personal experience, I picked out the 1.4 ct sapphire in my avatar for a RHR from a 360-degree video (no windows) and measurements of the cut, but a good color in a loose gem did not translate very well to my ring. The pic in my avatar is the best picture I have taken of my ring (do not have bright lights in my house), as the gem looks darker when I wear it on my finger. The gem looks good outdoors, but is at its best only in the best light.

If I ever buy another blue sapphire again, which I might do in a different cut, I would look for a slightly lighter colored gem that would not look too dark when I wear it.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@Mauriceo I'd definitely be OK to check it out... although I do feel that eventually Jeff will find something perfect. He's a good listener and seems prepared to put in the time to find the right one

@voce your ring is gorgeous! I appreciate the advice, its definitely been a learning curve! Im thinking slightly lighter is the way to go too :)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think you’ve probably found your best bet in Jeff but have you also looked at Rogelio Graca from Pristine Gemstone on Etsy? Because he’s in Nova Scotia, sourcing from him may save you some import fees.

Mauriceo

Rough_Rock
I remember you!! Welcome back!
Thanks you. I think my old ID was listed under an old compuserve account so I can't get back into it. Now I'm stuck with a new one,

Mauriceo

Rough_Rock
@Mauriceo I'd definitely be OK to check it out... although I do feel that eventually Jeff will find something perfect. He's a good listener and seems prepared to put in the time to find the right one

@voce your ring is gorgeous! I appreciate the advice, its definitely been a learning curve! Im thinking slightly lighter is the way to go too :)

Hi, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had to get a new computer. Anyway the stone was listed on the website

https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=11368
48182.jpg 48180.jpg

It is a color change stone depending on the lighting it goes from blue to violet.

Last edited:

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all who have helped me through this journey, I really appreciate all of your inputs! Before this forum I was so lost - truly, thank you everyone.

We've finally picked a stone! It is 2.79ct (slightly lower ct weight than we originally were looking for) but faces up at 9x7mm which is perfect. Its the perfect shape and perfect shade of blue! The cut looks nice and its is certified no heat! It took some time but Jeff stuck with it and was able to find THE ONE. There is some colour zoning under the stone but the colour is very even from the top :)

Here is a sneak peak of the video that Jeff sent to me. I will post more pics once I receive it!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Is that a Burmese sapphire I see?

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Contgratulations! As someone who wears a Jeff White sapphire, (mine is round, 2.78 if I recall correctly) I'm sure you will be very happy!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it's a very silky unheated sapphire, so I thought that it was Burmese. I think you got one of the very finest of Ceylon in such a size!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WHOA! I real stunner! What's not to love??

cheers--Sharon

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to all who have helped me through this journey, I really appreciate all of your inputs! Before this forum I was so lost - truly, thank you everyone.

We've finally picked a stone! It is 2.79ct (slightly lower ct weight than we originally were looking for) but faces up at 9x7mm which is perfect. Its the perfect shape and perfect shade of blue! The cut looks nice and its is certified no heat! It took some time but Jeff stuck with it and was able to find THE ONE. There is some colour zoning under the stone but the colour is very even from the top :)

Here is a sneak peak of the video that Jeff sent to me. I will post more pics once I receive it!!!

That is a stunner in every way! :clap: What a blue! And a 9x7 cushion is going to look very substantial. Glad it was worth the wait and I look forward to seeing the completed ring!

rahulus

Rough_Rock
Is it rude to ask in what sort of price range a stone like this might cost? I am always thrown off by the variance that is out there, heated vs unheated etc.

This looks really lovely!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beats the Burmese ones imho for an unheated stone! Lovely find!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a colour! You clearly did not compromise. Well done!
I can’t wait to see the ring completed.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all!

@rahulus I originally set a budget of 10k for an unheated premium colour stone 3-4ct. This came in under budget but the price does vary hugely depending on the specs. I was offered stones in the 3000-14000 range and I realized in the process that it 99% depends on the colour as to the price. For example, the one I posted in this thread earlier (the first one Jeff found) was priced somewhere around 4k and I believe was somewhere around 3.5ct

I really enjoyed working with Jeff. Even though he was aware of my budget being quite high, he offered stones priced significantly under budget and it never felt like he was trying to max us out in terms of price. The prices of his stones are very reasonable when compared to some online retailers and right from the get go he told me the approximate price per carat for what I wanted and ended up being bang on. I kid you not, he must have looked at over 80 stones before we agreed on the perfect one. Never got mad or upset we were rejecting so many perfectly adequate stones and waiting for "the one". Highly recommend you reach out to him and see what he has if you are interested. He also posts some sapphires which are unheated on his website so you can check that out too for an idea on price.

rahulus

Rough_Rock
@torontocatlady - that's great! I actually dealt with Jeff not long ago but unfortunately my issue was in finding the right shaped stone (a radiant, not easy to find in sapphires it seems!) with the same colour characteristics as yours. He was an absolute gent to deal with, and I would definitely reach out to him again if I need anything else.

I managed to find my perfect stone just recently after months of hunting around... as you said colour really does seem to be the driving factor, amazing the number of stones I went through that were just not quite right. In the end I had to compromise on a heated rather than unheated stone, but very happy with it!

Glad you found yours!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How will you set your gorgeous stone?

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@rahulus he is a real gentleman for sure. I m happy to hear you found your stone even it was not with Jeff. Do you have a post in if so we might see?

Settings..... hmmmmmm. We know already we want Victor to set it but can’t seem to work out how yet. I had always envisioned a delicate halo on a plain band but it has been done so many times! I also tried on some diamond halos and did not like them. But I am not sure Im set on side stones either. Argh! I’m so worried I’ll ask for the wrong thing and just can’t seem to pin it down!! Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? All welcomed!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Do halos for the top and sides. The top halo can be diamond and side halo can be sapphire. A lot easier than picking sidestones imho :D.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Interesting! But then I have to find more sapphires :shock:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Itty bitty sapphire melee gems are easy to find. Just hit up yvonneraley's shop on Etsy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results