shape
carat
color
clarity

On The Hunt - 1 carat + and F/IF (or better)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@The Critic With your budget and requirements I would even consider going to the San Francisco giftcenter, or at least inquiring. One of my favorites is Derco. See what they can come up with as well maybe?
My husband bought my current setting and original stone from Derkos 15 years ago. I still where the ring with an upgraded diamond. I would recommend them as well!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband bought my current setting and original stone from Derkos 15 years ago. I still where the ring with an upgraded diamond. I would recommend them as well!
Correction: still :lol:wear :lol: the ring!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider the price listed for the advance stone to be a fair one. BGD considers that Black by Brian Gavin is their premier line. If the stone comes back with specs that allow it to be brought up to the Black series, I think it’s a bargain.

BN has an Astor 1.14ct F VVS1 going for $15.6k based on a cursory skim through inventory. Nothing available at that size for WF with those colour clarity characteristics on that skimming through their inventory lists. Same for CBI at HP Diamonds.
Agree, fair price for a top top performer.

The Critic

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have concerns about the dimensions (or proportions) of this diamond?

The Tolkowsky Ideal Cut Dimensions mention a total depth of 59-61.8%; the BGD stone I am considering is 61.9%. The crown/pavilion angles are 34.7/40.9.

Thx.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have concerns about the dimensions (or proportions) of this diamond?

The Tolkowsky Ideal Cut Dimensions mention a total depth of 59-61.8%; the BGD stone I am considering is 61.9%. The crown/pavilion angles are 34.7/40.9.

Thx.
Run the angles through the Holloway Cut Advisor (HCA) tool under the Tools tab at the top of the forum - if it scores under 2, the stone is worth considering.

The Critic

Rough_Rock
Run the angles through the Holloway Cut Advisor (HCA) tool under the Tools tab at the top of the forum - if it scores under 2, the stone is worth considering.
HCA BGD.PNG
The score is a 1.8 but all items except for light are coming back at Very Good instead of Excellent. All of the other stones that I have viewed to date are saying "excellent."

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No concerns from me about that depth. Usually search for stones with depth percentages between 60.3 to 62.5. CA/PA combo also raises no concerns from me as well.

HCA is not to be used as a selection tool, only a rejection tool.

A stone from BGD with those proportions will look stunning.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA BGD.PNG
The score is a 1.8 but all items except for light are coming back at Very Good instead of Excellent. All of the other stones that I have viewed to date are saying "excellent."
It is very rare to get Excellent across the board on the HCA tool - the score being under 2 is more important and, as bmfang says, it is a rejection tool (to rule out stones over a score of 2) rather than a selection tool.

As you can see from the reference to TIC in the wording, the HCA recognises that the stone falls within Tolk Ideal Cut ranges.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And being from BGD, it’s probably got an AGS 0 report, which you don’t have to run thru the HCA because they do a light performance testing on those stones.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HCA BGD.PNG
HCA is overly critical with the steeper side of ideal. Fluctations in the mains and crown at those averages can be bad, but in a tightly cut H&A stone they are beautiful. BG purposely cuts stones on the steeper end of crowns and pavilions because he seems to like how that combo looks.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And being from BGD, it’s probably got an AGS 0 report, which you don’t have to run thru the HCA because they do a light performance testing on those stones.

Well, it will once the stone has been cut and sent off to AGS for grading.

I am actually looking forward to seeing the final images and video of that stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA BGD.PNG
HCA is only for GIA stones to make sure the angles "play well" together. When you get a super ideal (WF ACA, CBI, or BG signature/black), you don't need HCA.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
How fun to wait in anticipation for the stone, and then the total finished piece! :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very curious to see if it turns out to be a Black series stone. Having said that, BGD’s regular Signature H&A range is nothing to be sneezed at. Also incredibly beautiful stones, on par with WF ACA and CBI in my books.
I just bought six .20 H and I color stones and they are amazing. Gorgeous. Blow me away.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I am very curious to see if it turns out to be a Black series stone. Having said that, BGD’s regular Signature H&A range is nothing to be sneezed at. Also incredibly beautiful stones, on par with WF ACA and CBI in my books.
OP, definitely understood how you wish this stone turns into a Black, me too^^However, I would also second what @bmfang said. Though my opinion could be biased as my wife's having a BGD signature on her finger.
There are some similarities between the proportion of my lady's stone and yours (though not exactly the same & each one could have subtly different character), 61.9% depth, steeper end of both CA & PA. And it's beautiful. We always talk about light return, one of the most important aspect of diamond is about how much light entered it could return back to our eyes. And I strongly experienced it from our stone when we went to one of our friends' wedding, where there were beautiful ceiling lights, which were purple in color, in the ball room. Guess what the diamond looked like, it became a intensively sparkling fireball in purple. It's not to say that we can't feel the light return in normal lightings or other environments, but this is a really special occasion. May be I could have described it better, but it's hard to translate that beauty into words, really. What I am trying to say is I hope to let you have some confidence in your choice, no matter it's a Black or not. Hope you have great joy and appreciation on your diamond for an endless spell.

The Critic

Rough_Rock

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Wow congrats, it made Black. Although I think there is minimal difference between Black and Signature, nice to get the highest line. Cant wait to see it all when it is done.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow congrats, it made Black. Although I think there is minimal difference between Black and Signature, nice to get the highest line. Cant wait to see it all when it is done.

Agree with @TimMD on congrats for it making Black.

As for what separates Black and regular Signature H&A line, I believe it is down to the other facets and optimisation of their angles and placement when doing the cut. That plus also the Black line tends to focus on high colour and high clarity stones more so than regular Signature stones which run the gamut of colour, clarity combinations with precision cutting (just maybe not as precise as those in the Black line).

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations~A gorgeous stone and a pleasing outcome. Would love to see how you are going to set it~

The Critic

Rough_Rock
Congratulations~A gorgeous stone and a pleasing outcome. Would love to see how you are going to set it~
95% certain that we will be choosing the BGD 6-prong Fish Tail Pave Setting.

Agree with @TimMD on congrats for it making Black.

As for what separates Black and regular Signature H&A line, I believe it is down to the other facets and optimisation of their angles and placement when doing the cut. That plus also the Black line tends to focus on high colour and high clarity stones more so than regular Signature stones which run the gamut of colour, clarity combinations with precision cutting (just maybe not as precise as those in the Black line).
Thanks.

Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results