shape
carat
color
clarity

On The Hunt - 1 carat + and F/IF (or better)

The Critic

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I am on the hunt for a loose diamond to build my girlfriend an engagement ring. These are the parameters I am working with:

Price: $15K or less
Color: F (or better)
Clarity: IF (or better)
Size: Minimum 1 carat

I have been experimenting with the HCA tool as well. So far, this is the best option I have found:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

My girlfriend is fairly set on the color/clarity areas but the other items are negotiable.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I am on the hunt for a loose diamond to build my girlfriend an engagement ring. These are the parameters I am working with:

Price: $15K or less
Color: F (or better)
Clarity: IF (or better)
Size: Minimum 1 carat

I have been experimenting with the HCA tool as well. So far, this is the best option I have found:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

My girlfriend is fairly set on the color/clarity areas but the other items are negotiable.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
I certainly don't want to argue with her stated preferences, but IF will come at a premium with no actual difference to your eyes compared to VVS. Is she ok paying a premium for stuff she cannot see?

The Critic

Rough_Rock
I certainly don't want to argue with her stated preferences, but IF will come at a premium with no actual difference to your eyes compared to VVS. Is she ok paying a premium for stuff she cannot see?
Unfortunately, yes. We have had this conversation multiple times and she is firm on her preferences for the color and clarity. However, she is flexible on the other items.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, yes. We have had this conversation multiple times and she is firm on her preferences for the color and clarity. However, she is flexible on the other items.

Ok, fair enough. I would look at WF, Brian Gavin, and HP diamonds. Those are the top tier vendors for ideal cuts. Unfortunately, not many people/places have IF clarity, so you might have to work harder to find a great performing stone in that clarity

The Critic

Rough_Rock
Ok, fair enough. I would look at WF, Brian Gavin, and HP diamonds. Those are the top tier vendors for ideal cuts. Unfortunately, not many people/places have IF clarity, so you might have to work harder to find a great performing stone in that clarity
Understood. Any thoughts on the one I posted? Thx.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to this.

Most/all of the superideal vendors stay away from VVS/IF/FL because it's adding cost to the consumer for no visible benefit.

Whereabouts are you? Can you get to a Crafted By Infinity Dealer or WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin Diamonds, for example? If you and your intended are able to see how even SI-clarity stones can be eye-clean, you might feel more confident about how you could get a much larger rock for your budget with no issues regarding inclusions.

If it is a cultural thing, of course, then that is understood on this forum, but you must buy in the awareness you are overpaying for invisible benefits.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one you posted is worth looking at in greater detail. Blue Nile has an excellent return policy— you have to get it back to them by day 30. If you want to upgrade, you will have to spend double.

HP diamonds only has vvs2 in your range. (Crafted by infinity)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a thought, if she wants a FL clarity, she should be looking at D/E in color. It would be silly to have a flawless stone, but a visible tint. Tint is WAY easier to see than inclusions, and a reasonably alert eye will see the tint in an F - especially a low F - pretty easily, compared to a D/E. I think D is a bit of a waste, but E normally gives a beautiful whiteness without looking sterile.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing at BGD within the OP’s budget. Same for Whiteflash and CBI.

He will have to go down the virtual inventory route. Given JA is now out of the picture for most (if not all) PS-ers, that effectively leaves BN and a smattering of other vendors which provide limited imagery.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd be interested to understanding the reasoning for the IF demand. Not to ruin a mindset but IF is only flawless at X10 mag, go to x20 mag and the imperfections can be there.

The Critic

Rough_Rock
+1 to this.

Most/all of the superideal vendors stay away from VVS/IF/FL because it's adding cost to the consumer for no visible benefit.

Whereabouts are you? Can you get to a Crafted By Infinity Dealer or WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin Diamonds, for example? If you and your intended are able to see how even SI-clarity stones can be eye-clean, you might feel more confident about how you could get a much larger rock for your budget with no issues regarding inclusions.

If it is a cultural thing, of course, then that is understood on this forum, but you must buy in the awareness you are overpaying for invisible benefits.
Point taken, and yes I am aware that I am paying for an invisible benefit. Keeping her happy is important to me as well.

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The one you posted is worth looking at in greater detail. Blue Nile has an excellent return policy— you have to get it back to them by day 30. If you want to upgrade, you will have to spend double.

HP diamonds only has vvs2 in your range. (Crafted by infinity)
Thank you. Are there any other online vendors that you can recommend?

I'd be interested to understanding the reasoning for the IF demand. Not to ruin a mindset but IF is only flawless at X10 mag, go to x20 mag and the imperfections can be there.
I guess you can say it is a cultural preference.
Thanks. Pricing is about the same, but I give up some size for color. The HCA score came back as 1.3 for this one.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the first stone found by @bmfang. It has proportions that will exhibit more fire. Also, the bump to E color is nice.

Carat weight is similar, but dimensions are different because the stone found by @The Critic has a shallow crown & 61.5 depth vs @bmfang's stone that has a steeper crown, better crown/pavilion relationship & a little more depth. This equals about 0.20mm difference, or 1/128th inch.

First stone = 0.9 HCA
Second stone = 1.3 HCA

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@The Critic With your budget and requirements I would even consider going to the San Francisco giftcenter, or at least inquiring. One of my favorites is Derco. See what they can come up with as well maybe?

The Critic

Rough_Rock
I much prefer the first stone found by @bmfang. It has proportions that will exhibit more fire. Also, the bump to E color is nice.

Carat weight is similar, but dimensions are different because the stone found by @The Critic has a shallow crown & 61.5 depth vs @bmfang's stone that has a steeper crown, better crown/pavilion relationship & a little more depth. This equals about 0.20mm difference, or 1/128th inch.

First stone = 0.9 HCA
Second stone = 1.3 HCA

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG
Thank you.

I am going to bring up the idea of stepping down on the clarity. If I do, would you consider this one from BGD to be a better buy?

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.138-f-vvs1-round-diamond-bfg-785891

I ran the HCA for this one and it came back with a 1.6. The crown angle is 34.7 and the pavilion angle is 40.9; I read somewhere that over 41 can be less than ideal?

Just curious if this particular diamond has any advantages over the other ones which have already been posted.

BGD 785891.PNG

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

I am going to bring up the idea of stepping down on the clarity. If I do, would you consider this one from BGD to be a better buy?

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.138-f-vvs1-round-diamond-bfg-785891

I ran the HCA for this one and it came back with a 1.6. The crown angle is 34.7 and the pavilion angle is 40.9; I read somewhere that over 41 can be less than ideal?

Just curious if this particular diamond has any advantages over the other ones which have already been posted.

BGD 785891.PNG

This stone is in the process of being produced now (all vids etc on the listing are samples). If it all checks out after being sent to AGS, your fiancée will have a supremely beautiful stone. If it comes back with proportions that pass for BGD’s Black series, so much the better.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@The Critic With your budget and requirements I would even consider going to the San Francisco giftcenter, or at least inquiring. One of my favorites is Derco. See what they can come up with as well maybe?
I can 2nd Derco, that is where I bought my 3.01 F-SI1 pear from, and my first tennis bracelet. And if you don't mind a stock mounting, you can walk out with your ring in an hour.

The Critic

Rough_Rock
I can 2nd Derco, that is where I bought my 3.01 F-SI1 pear from, and my first tennis bracelet. And if you don't mind a stock mounting, you can walk out with your ring in an hour.
I will give them a look as well. Thanks.

This stone is in the process of being produced now (all vids etc on the listing are samples). If it all checks out after being sent to AGS, your fiancée will have a supremely beautiful stone. If it comes back with proportions that pass for BGD’s Black series, so much the better.
If the proportions pass for the BGD Black Series, does this mean the price will go up?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is something best discussed with BGD themselves (or if there is another PS-er who has recently purchased a BG Advance stone that was subsequently given the Black moniker chimes in).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I will give them a look as well. Thanks.

If the proportions pass for the BGD Black Series, does this mean the price will go up?

With other vendors that do custom cut, there is no charge if the grading is better than expected but there is a discount if it’s worse. I betcha it’s the same with BGD cuts in progress ... but safest thing is to ask them.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
With other vendors that do custom cut, there is no charge if the grading is better than expected but there is a discount if it’s worse. I betcha it’s the same with BGD cuts in progress ... but safest thing is to ask them.
I enquired BGD for custom cut previously, and was informed the same. Though buying advance series is not exactly the same with custom cut, I do think the price will not rise if you confirm the purchase when it still belongs to advance, but finally qualify for black as it’s an agreed price. For peace of mind, agree asking BGD directly if you are considering this route^^

The Critic

Rough_Rock
I enquired BGD for custom cut previously, and was informed the same. Though buying advance series is not exactly the same with custom cut, I do think the price will not rise if you confirm the purchase when it still belongs to advance, but finally qualify for black as it’s an agreed price. For peace of mind, agree asking BGD directly if you are considering this route^^
Thanks. I reached out to BGD and they more or less confirmed what you stated. The specs listed on the page are the minimum of what I can expect to receive.

Regardless, do you folks feel that their diamond is worth the asking price or am I better off with some of the other options posted?

L

lydial

I like the rarecarat search engine because you can put in your angles. I put in the typical PS angles and your size/price.

I bought a diamond through fourmine that I found on rarecarat that was a K VS1 with ideal proportions but is obviously not a super ideal cut. I paid 3800 for a 1.15 ct. but it took a long time to get to me, 2.5 weeks or more? It definitely looks a lot more like a “k” (tinted) than my super ideal k, which looks like a white fireball. But it is very pretty.

And “Yadav” is a vendor on rarecarat that is in San Fran. Here are some in their virtual inventory that are bigger, I would not promise they would perform as well as a super ideal, but the intended seems to have her priorities and super ideal may not be worth the price given she is focused on clarity, not cut, and maybe size is up there too? I wonder if you get a few cert #’s together and call Yadav if they can bring the best choices in to see?

The OP is smart to look for great geometry or the stone will be a waste of such clarity...

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.36-carat-f-if-yd6112755

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.32-carat-f-if-yd6093183

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.22-carat-f-if-yd4839413

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.21-carat-f-if-yd6123939

This is the biggest F/IF on the list...

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....4.595&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I reached out to BGD and they more or less confirmed what you stated. The specs listed on the page are the minimum of what I can expect to receive.

Regardless, do you folks feel that their diamond is worth the asking price or am I better off with some of the other options posted?

I would consider the price listed for the advance stone to be a fair one. BGD considers that Black by Brian Gavin is their premier line. If the stone comes back with specs that allow it to be brought up to the Black series, I think it’s a bargain.

BN has an Astor 1.14ct F VVS1 going for $15.6k based on a cursory skim through inventory. Nothing available at that size for WF with those colour clarity characteristics on that skimming through their inventory lists. Same for CBI at HP Diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results