shape
carat
color
clarity

On the first day of Christmas I gave my best friend these....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend and I have been like family for 41 years now. We met on a beach in our mid teenage years and have been through everything together; high school, marriage, divorce (hers), some severe illness (mine), surgeries, kids, the death of all 4 of our parents, and on and on and on. For the last 17 years, we have lived on the other side of the world from each other, yet still I start (and she ends) each day together with our daily phone chat - which lasts anywhere from half an hour to 2 hours or more. We see each other every year - sometimes twice a year - and we do the leg work and hard yards to continue to nurture what has been a defining relationship for both of us.

For Christmas this year, I had a pair of yellow gold studs made for her, with 2 x .27ct center stones, and 8 x 6pt stones surrounding each center. All up, they came to 1.5 ctw, set in 14kt yellow gold. They have a beautiful glow and are a perfect size for her.

The center stone in the three stone ring was her mother's engagement diamond. I bought it off her many years (and years!) ago when she was going through some tough times, and gave it back to her, having been re-cut, for our 40th friendship anniversary a year ago. She recently had it set, and it looks wonderful.

The photos are very yellow, having been taking at night. I'll try to get some more normally colored ones tomorrow.

Both the earrings and the ring were made by DKJ, who did an awesome job, as ever. I love the earrings, in particular, which were Amy's design and a nice variation on the traditional cluster.

20180104_195002_resized.jpg

20180104_195043_resized.jpg

20180104_195054_resized.jpg

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just earrings.

These have a slight Tiffany feel to them; the pave circle with metal surround is a Tiffany design, but these were done by circling a traditional cluster design. I LOVE these, and want a pair for myself!!

20180104_195320_resized.jpg

20180104_195314_resized.jpg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful gift for your friend! Friends have a way of becoming family over the years and it sounds as though you treasure one another. Very touching!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just the ring - with her wedding ring.

I think this is a lovely variation on the bezel set three-stone; the center is only .51 ct, and the sides are .82 ctw - so the effect is more band-like, and goes wonderfully with her wedder. Another low maintenance, casually elegant piece with classic overtones for one very classy lady.

Just to add - DKJ had the center stone re-cut for me. The original had a chip in the girdle. I had it appraised pre re-cutting, and it was a .64ct I SI2. After recutting, it was a .51 ct stone, probably still an I, but now nice and clean! I'm guessing we went from an SI2 to something in the VS range. Finger size is 5.5.

20180104_200030_resized.jpg

20180104_200100_resized.jpg

20180104_195959_resized.jpg

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: beautiful - the jewelry and your relationship :)

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a precious friendship, and those pieces are a beautiful way to celebrate it! I love them both, but those earrings! :love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful, thoughtful gift and a truly blessed friendship =)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely thoughtful & sentimental gift!! Treasure that friendship forever; friends like that are rare, indeed!!!

lapurse

Rough_Rock
Looks beautiful and you’re both very blessed to have such lasting friendship!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jewelry is as beautiful as your friendship.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b your story really touched my heart as I have two dear friends on the other side of the pond and I know how difficult is to be separated from your loved ones, yet no matter the distance, you always remain close in your hearts. Your gifts are so very touching, generous and absolutely gorgeous! Such a wonderful way for you to celebrate your friendship!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a great blessing to have a friendship like that! And those are such lovely gifts!

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful story. I love the earrings and super love the ring!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You treasure and nurture what you love and you clearly love your friend and treasure your friendship. Cheers and many many more anniversaries to come for you both.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And just the ring - with her wedding ring.

I think this is a lovely variation on the bezel set three-stone; the center is only .51 ct, and the sides are .82 ctw - so the effect is more band-like, and goes wonderfully with her wedder. Another low maintenance, casually elegant piece with classic overtones for one very classy lady.

Just to add - DKJ had the center stone re-cut for me. The original had a chip in the girdle. I had it appraised pre re-cutting, and it was a .64ct I SI2. After recutting, it was a .51 ct stone, probably still an I, but now nice and clean! I'm guessing we went from an SI2 to something in the VS range. Finger size is 5.5.

20180104_200030_resized.jpg

20180104_200100_resized.jpg

20180104_195959_resized.jpg

How beautiful!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is so sweet and heart warming! I love how close you two are and your gifts are sentimental and special. Not to mention they are gorgeous!

I’m dying to see more shots of the ring! Can we see the gallery? Again....my absolute favorite....so wearable and lovely!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous jewellery and a treasured friendship - thank you for a heart warming thread to start my day with!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a generally mute male of the species, I have no idea how anyone has enough to talk about for up to 2 hours each day :lol: lol

Awesome pieces, though, she will love them!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, friends like that are treasures! You are lucky to have each other and I love the sentiment of using her mother's stone in the ring! Well done!!

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love everything about this post.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend and I have been like family for 41 years now. We met on a beach in our mid teenage years and have been through everything together; high school, marriage, divorce (hers), some severe illness (mine), surgeries, kids, the death of all 4 of our parents, and on and on and on. For the last 17 years, we have lived on the other side of the world from each other, yet still I start (and she ends) each day together with our daily phone chat - which lasts anywhere from half an hour to 2 hours or more. We see each other every year - sometimes twice a year - and we do the leg work and hard yards to continue to nurture what has been a defining relationship for both of us.

For Christmas this year, I had a pair of yellow gold studs made for her, with 2 x .27ct center stones, and 8 x 6pt stones surrounding each center. All up, they came to 1.5 ctw, set in 14kt yellow gold. They have a beautiful glow and are a perfect size for her.

The center stone in the three stone ring was her mother's engagement diamond. I bought it off her many years (and years!) ago when she was going through some tough times, and gave it back to her, having been re-cut, for our 40th friendship anniversary a year ago. She recently had it set, and it looks wonderful.

The photos are very yellow, having been taking at night. I'll try to get some more normally colored ones tomorrow.

Both the earrings and the ring were made by DKJ, who did an awesome job, as ever. I love the earrings, in particular, which were Amy's design and a nice variation on the traditional cluster.

20180104_195002_resized.jpg

20180104_195043_resized.jpg

20180104_195054_resized.jpg

What a beautiful gift and what a beautiful friendship. @mrs-b, thank you for sharing this and your heartwarming friendship. It is rare to find a friendship like this. That grows and strengthens with each year despite the distance. That is the most valuable gift of all and it means more than any jewel or material possession though yes I love the bling too! Thank you for sharing and sending you and your dear friend best wishes for a happy and healthy 2018.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are amazing. My only beef with my best friend of 15 years is she doesn't like jewelry (sob). What a thoughtful present - I'm sure she will keep and love these forever.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind comments, @MissGotRocks @HappyNewLife @Ally66 @ILikeShiny @Matthews1127 @lapurse @nala @SimoneDi @diamondseeker2006 @kalmen22 @LLJsmom @KristinTech @JDDN @lissyflo @valeria101 @OoohShiny @yennyfire @RetroTreeGal @missy @liaerfbv

Wendy's and my friendship is neither luck nor accident. We work HARD at it; a lifelong friendship is as difficult and significant as a marriage, and it takes the same level of work. The trick is to pick someone you really like, whose worldview meshes with yours, and whose ethics and commitment to friendship are the same as your own. Our view of friendship is not common; to us, we're family, whereas most people have their biological family on one level, and everyone else a step (or more) lower. We also put the needs of the other person ahead of our own, and you don't get many friendships willing to do that. There's so much more to it - to make something so big and strong and valuable, and of so many years' standing. But we each have a resource that we know will last all our lives, and which will help through any and all hard times, and be a cause for celebration for all the rest. Both of us lost our parents in our 20's, and Wendy is an only child, while I have one sibling who lives a long way away and is taken up with her own family and career. So both of us were in need of family, and we consider it a blessing directly from God, that we 'randomly' met that day on a beach, 41 years ago.

I took a few extra photos of her new pieces today, so here they are! :)

20180105_101356_resized.jpg

20180105_100846_resized.jpg

20180105_101012_resized.jpg

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last ones of the ring. VERY happy with how this turned out - pls ignore the darkness of the center stone - it's the reflection of my black phone.

20180105_101206_resized.jpg

20180105_100729_resized.jpg 20180105_100740_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180105_101235_resized.jpg
    20180105_101235_resized.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 14

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b thank you for the additional pics and also for those words of wisdom about friendship. I agree completely. Relationships take hard work and nurturing and take both parties making the effort. And it’s worthwhile with the right people. Just like a marriage. Relationships must be cared for and nurtured to be successful. And communication is key.

(It’s too bad there are still many people who don’t grasp that concept and fall silent during challenging times).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a great friend with great taste!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came back to add - I think that style of earring is THE way to do a cluster! So elegant and classy - I'm considering getting mine changed!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wonderful! I wish I had a friendship like that. <3

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely amazing story of your friendship with beautiful jewels that match the precious relationship you guys have. You are so right - friendship does take work (a lot of it) and I truly admire the efforts you have both made to keep it strong. My best friend and I of almost 14 years have been going through a bit of a struggle in our friendship in the last 2 years so I can truly appreciate your story and only hope that we could make it as long as you guys have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results