shape
carat
color
clarity

? on the Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Searching

Rough_Rock
Hi!I'm a newbie and have a question. What's better, the AGS000 Ideal cut, Hearts and Arrows or EightStar?? Thanks!

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How about this.I sell all three so I have compared them many times with many different customers. Not one customer ever didn't like the eightstar, many couldn't pay the price, and others thought the premium is to much.On the other hand many liked the fact that Eightstar is leading edge, and not dated back to 1919. Some like the conflict free aspect, and still others like that it is unique in it's look, others like that less than a thousand are cut each year.Here are some interesting quotes by non sellers, but big time gemologist.Questions asked by Betty Lian-Huey at American Gem Society Conclave, New Orleans: April 9, 1999
Dr Ilene Reinitz of the research team of Gemological Institute of America is being asked the questions
Q: What is it that makes one ideal cut diamond so right Ð arrows under the FireScope Ð and another ideal cut with similar proportions not?
R: The FireScope looks at several things. It both looks at the proportion and the exact symmetry of the diamond. If a diamond has one of the common 8 symmetry faults, the table and the girdle are not exactly parallel, or the girdle is not a plane, if it is askew, the FireScope images will be disturbed. And if there is a lack of bonding between crown and pavilion facets, the FireScope will show a distorted image. That is true regardless of the proportion.
Q: So what you are saying is that the FireScope is basically a very important tool for todays diamond cutting industry.
R: Yeah! The FireScope is a very interesting tool because it lets you see aspects of the optical proportion of the diamond. Very similar to our diffused lighting conditions. It lets you see brilliance and less of the other aspects.
Q: With this you are in fact saying that the EightStar is a better cut?
R: Well, as we noted in the paper , EightStar diamonds have PHENOMENAL symmetry. we have magnificent symmetry. We have the perfect symmetry since it is a computer model. They actually cut, I would say, the best real approximation of the symmetry that I have ever seen.
Transcript of Dr. Reinitz, GIA at AGS Conclave 99 As Mr. Peter Yantzer, Director for the American Gem Society (AGS) Laboratory said after spending a full day viewing EightStar Diamonds:
"I am awed by the precision to which you can cut diamonds. I believe that they truly are the most perfectly cut diamonds on the planet."By the way, Mr Yantzer bought a eightstar that he wears in a mans ring.The best thing you can do is compare for yourself, see the diamonds, and you make your own mind up after getting all the information.Good luck in your hunt!------------------
StevL Dems Jewelers Eightstar Diamond Tundra Diamonds

Searching

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately I have not seen an Ideal cut, a Hearts & Arrows or an 8*, so I can't compare. None of the local jewelers around here carry them. For some strange reasons, they get pretty pissed off when I insisted on seeing the "Ideal cut". Some even said that the H&A and 8* don't even exist!! Huh?So, here's the question, I want bright, I want fire, I want spark, but I don't want to pay an exorbitant amount, any site u can recommend that I check out? Thanks again!!

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you go to http://www.eightstar.com there is a page where you can enter your zip code and you'll get a response giving you the nearest local dealer selling Eightstars. Doubtlessly those dealers will have other choices and will be quite knowledgeable and can answer your questions. Then you can SEE what this is about. StevL may also have an index of Eightstar dealers since he is one.I wear one and and am extremely thrilled with it. I didn't pay a huge premium; and I got what I paid for.The Rodentman

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It's very personal thing and depends upon your preferences, taste, etc. There are 8* fans and those who are saying that it's all hype.You should have a look at different diamonds yourself. If you can find 8* dealer in your area, he/she would show you 8* and other diamonds via Firescope.There is another approach - try to find beautiful diamonds that are outside traditional ideal range and save a few bucks. You can use Ideal-Scope and/or Holloway Cut Adviser for that.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There is no absolute "better" as Leonid said, it is personal preference. Some people just want a BIG stone and don't care much about anything else. Others are cut fanatics. The Eightstar is cut for ideal *internal* symmetry which is not always the same as external. Its facets are precisely aligned to give a "perfect" view throught the Firescope, a device which shows light leakage. Eightstars are arguably *among* the best but it is highly likely that not all Eightstars will outperform all other stones in light return. See http://www.goodoldgold.com for photos of diamonds through the Firescope and a gold mine of information.The Rodentman

Joel

Rough_Rock
Hi Searching,
Go to goodoldgold.com and do some research.
Jonathan's site will give you by far the most "hands on" information on diamonds available on the web. Go to the Educational Stones section to compare the brilliance of the cuts you are interested in. Let us know how you make out.Regards, Joel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results