JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy :-o

Well done!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG! I’m dying to know what the listing looked like. Obviously, the seller had no clue what they had!! I can’t wait to see it (your photos!). Congrats!!! That’s the find of a lifetime!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg well done! What a great find! It’s really gorgeous.:appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2::eek2::clap:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just can’t even think of anything articulate to say.....just....wow.

If I had a fainting couch, I’d be on it.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! I’m dying to know what the listing looked like. Obviously, the seller had no clue what they had!! I can’t wait to see it (your photos!). Congrats!!! That’s the find of a lifetime!!

I've seen the original listing. Not going to post it here unless @Bron357 wants to post it herself, but not too hard to find.

The seller knew what they were selling. Those photos are professionally taken and the seller has a GIA Diamond Graduate logo on his page. Also listed inclusions, carat weight, etc. so definitely not an amateur.

I think the biggest thing is that Alexandrite is so rare that very few people would be willing to bid that kind of money on an eBay listing. Like Bron mentioned even most instructors haven't seen an example. Maybe if Bron or her heirs ever decide to sell it we'll see it at Christie's or Sotheby's.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've seen the original listing. Not going to post it here unless @Bron357 wants to post it herself, but not too hard to find.

The seller knew what they were selling. Those photos are professionally taken and the seller has a GIA Diamond Graduate logo on his page. Also listed inclusions, carat weight, etc. so definitely not an amateur.

I think the biggest thing is that Alexandrite is so rare that very few people would be willing to bid that kind of money on an eBay listing. Like Bron mentioned even most instructors haven't seen an example. Maybe if Bron or her heirs ever decide to sell it we'll see it at Christie's or Sotheby's.

Interesting, thanks! That’s super cool!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exquisite! Can’t wait to see it! I have a little Alexandrite pendant which I’m sure is lab created. Hopefully it’s not a synthetic. The color changing properties are the same though. The rarity of this gem! Wow! :geek2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the seller was a business seller, not a misguided novice selling the inherited family jewels for a pittance.
That’s why I was so freaked about a 9 day listing, the more “air time” the more people who might see it.
With eBay you can get lucky. You just never know who will be around and looking to buy at that “moment in time”. I
I also buy Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre (a rare and very expensive type of porcelain), a beautiful vase was auctioned on eBay (I already had a similiar one so wasn’t bidding) but I watched the listing. It sold for about $3,000 which was quite cheap. A week later the listing was back up. The winner of that first auction didn’t pay so the seller had to re list. Second time around, just 10 days later and it sold in a new auction for $7,000.
So yes everyone, it is worth your while to allocate some time to go fishing on eBay. There are still bargains to be had and plenty of outrageously beautiful items out there looking for new homes!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, the seller was a business seller, not a misguided novice selling the inherited family jewels for a pittance.
That’s why I was so freaked about a 9 day listing, the more “air time” the more people who might see it.
With eBay you can get lucky. You just never know who will be around and looking to buy at that “moment in time”. I
I also buy Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre (a rare and very expensive type of porcelain), a beautiful vase was auctioned on eBay (I already had a similiar one so wasn’t bidding) but I watched the listing. It sold for about $3,000 which was quite cheap. A week later the listing was back up. The winner of that first auction didn’t pay so the seller had to re list. Second time around, just 10 days later and it sold in a new auction for $7,000.
So yes everyone, it is worth your while to allocate some time to go fishing on eBay. There are still bargains to be had and plenty of outrageously beautiful items out there looking for new homes!
You should do a class about how to find stuff on eBay!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, that IS a treasure!!!! I think ebay inspires the same hope that winning the lottery does, except It actually happens when you’re educated. Congratulations !

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting Bron. I can't wait to see this treasure on your wrist. :appl:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm still picking my jaw off the floor.

Congrats on the find of the century!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is truly spectacular! Congratulations on a fantastically beautiful piece @Bron357

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to go look again. It really is a treasure. :love:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Bron, on an amazing find. It really is a treasure, I’ve never heard of Alexandrite before, so this has been real eye opener for me.
Now we wait in anticipation with you :appl:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Bron, the find of a lifetime!

Except you manage to find "the find of a lifetime" every couple of months!!!!!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! !!!!! That is gorgeous! You may be my new hero!!!!!! What a stunning find!!!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
so I've been going through old SMTB posts and i JUST saw this...but I can't seem to find the follow up post with hand shots...May I ask someone to direct me to the bling? and if no photos have been posted....I'd like to volunteer to go to AU and help with said photo shoot :lol-2::lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results