shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG - I bought my first pearls!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I saw these today and couldn't resist. I've been wanting pearls for ages but I'm on a student budget. :(

As this is my first pearl purchase, I would greatly appreciate some advice and guidance!

When I saw them I immediately knew that they were real, probably freshwater, but real. They're pre-loved, far from perfectly round, have a few dings and the clasps will definitely need to be replaced. However, I paid approximately US$12 per strand, so it didn't exactly break the bank. My stepmom says they're the perfect starter pair as I can use them to learn from.

So... I've attached pics. Please excuse the quality - they were taken indoors, at my university and using my dodgy cell phone camera! If anyone is interested, I will post more pics taken with a proper camera!

Please ask me questions and tell me what to look out for next time.

PS - Please don't be afraid to be blunt - I know they're not great but I will be happy to use them as "learner" necklaces.

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00146.JPG

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think, for $12, you did especially great! :appl:

I'm sure the black ones are dyed, but they still look cool. The peach (are they peach?) ones are my favorite freshie shape, drop-type.

Did you rub them on the front of your teeth? They should feel gritty, not smooth. They do look real, based on the variations in shape on the peach strand, though.

As far as replacing the clasps, you can restring them but probably not be able to re-knot them. But, who knows? Maybe you have that kind of skill. Check youtube for how to knot pearls, there are a couple of videos.

I think they will look great worn together or separately. Together, it's a very art deco color combo with peach and black, very cool with black, dark grey or white shirts.

I've heard from the younger girls that pearls are quite the "in" thing right now, is that true? Or are you a stylish individualist, that's going to set the trend for your group? Please let us know. . .

Summation: GOOD JOB TREKKIE! :D

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
I think, for $12, you did especially great! :appl:

I'm sure the black ones are dyed, but they still look cool. The peach (are they peach?) ones are my favorite freshie shape, drop-type.

Did you rub them on the front of your teeth? They should feel gritty, not smooth. They do look real, based on the variations in shape on the peach strand, though.

As far as replacing the clasps, you can restring them but probably not be able to re-knot them. But, who knows? Maybe you have that kind of skill. Check youtube for how to knot pearls, there are a couple of videos.

I think they will look great worn together or separately. Together, it's a very art deco color combo with peach and black, very cool with black, dark grey or white shirts.

I've heard from the younger girls that pearls are quite the "in" thing right now, is that true? Or are you a stylish individualist, that's going to set the trend for your group? Please let us know. . .

Summation: GOOD JOB TREKKIE! :D

Thank you, iLander!

Yes, I did the teeth test! My stepmom's training, I must admit. :)

I agree that the black ones are probably dyed, but I loved their shape, so I simply had to have them. Now they remind me a bit of hepatite, so I'm slightly less enthusiastic about them.

I plan to have them restrung at a pearl shop in Cape Town and I'm hoping they'll be able to suggest something to make them look a bit more special. I definitely don't have the skill to do this myself!

No one I know wears pearls apart from my gran and my stepmom, the two most stylish women in my life. I also wonder if this will start a trend!

To kickstart this I'm out at my weekly quiz wearing my usual jeans and sneakers, but also a pretty shirt and my new pink freshies!

Thank you so much for the post - it definitely helped allay the post purchase panic!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For $12 you absolutely can't go wrong!!!! beautiful finds! :twirl:

Kaori Oku

Rough_Rock
$12? Real pearl? You got the steal!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $12... I think they are great...and remember they are "starter" pearls. YOu will work your way up as pearls can be addicting. You can't have just one...as you can see already! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results