shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG How does she eat????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter is 16 and she wanted a tattoo. Its illegal here for anyone under the age of 18 to have one so she has to wait. She did want her nose and bellybutton pierced and I said wait till you are 16. Now she is at that age she doesn''t want it done... thank goodness!

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Ok - what I want to know, is how do you keep all of it straight? How do you know which backing to put on what? How do you not accidently snag something when putting on or off another piece? When I''m on my cell phone, I have snagged an earring before - can you imagine how many she snags?

OWW!!

And I thought I was a rebel back in the day for having my nose and eyebrow pierced... they have long been removed.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I would prefer letting my children get piercings as children, rather than letting them do it after coming of age - it''s hard to get a job all covered in them, and the novelty usually wears off once college or high school passes.

That said, I would NEVER let my kid get pierced as much as the woman in the picture! I bet most of that stuff is just for show - when she''s at home I bet the rings are smaller.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never got into piercings..my ears are done a few times, but that''s it. Tattoos I love and have several with plans for several more. My 5 year old daughter must have a couple girls in her preschool class with their ears pierced b/c she''s asked about it several times. I''ve not decided if she''ll get it done or not..I was in 3rd grade before mom allowed mine to be done.

Deborah, your daughter piercing her own nose doesn''t mean you''re not as good a mother as someone else. Maybe her idea of what is aesthetically pleasing will change soon and she''ll take it out.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 3:53:28 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/27/2009 3:48:04 PM
Author: swingirl

Yep, I have 21 year old daughter. She had to wait until she turned 18 and could sign for herself; for ears and everything else.

Then God bless you. There is no more to be said except that you are a better mother than I am. I have done everything I could to mother my child appropriately, but she still pierced her own nose.

Deborah
34.gif
Deborah, when I was 17 I wanted a tattoo so badly that I used a needle to "draw" one on my ankle when my parents didn''t give me permission to get a real one. My father was so horrified that he accompanied me to the tattoo parlor and helped me choose the design. Then he told me that I am free to do everything I want with myself and my life, as long as I think it over carefully and reasonably. I still think that was one of his best decisions as a father. My teen riot was over because I realized I have nothing to rise against anymore, that my parents are my friends, not my enemies.

I think you are a great mom and one day your support right now will mean more than you''ll ever know to your kid.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ABGF - I had to wait, and did wait. My sister, however, is a bit different. She pierced her own ears three times, and nose once. My parents signed for her to get them professional done when they found out. They'd rather have her in a safe environment with sterile needles than piercing her own ears in the bathroom with god knows what. I still have trouble believing how different my sister and I are.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/27/2009 4:54:54 PM
Author: packrat

I never got into piercings..my ears are done a few times, but that's it.

I have posted about this before on Pricescope, but many of you were not around back then :). I did not have pierced ears at all for most of my life! My mother had told me that girls of a certain ethnic group that was then looked down upon had pierced ears when I was growing up and I never got over the idea that it looked vulgar! Even when all my friends had pierced ears in the 1960's and 1970's, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It just didn't seem ladylike!!!

So I had my ears pierced for the first time at age 48. By then I had diamond jewelry. I was able to buy diamond studs. I still have "only" one pair of holes, however, and would find more than one pair (on myself) unimaginable!!!

At one time my daughter had three pairs of holes in her ears. Then she let all three holes close up. Now she has one set of holes. So there is hope that good taste will reign in the end and she will give up the nose stud ;-).

Deborah
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
For the record, the woman pictured had 6005 piercings. I guess she wanted to be quite certain that no one was going to want to out pierce her.
3.gif

I''m with Deb though about piercings; I personally don''t want to make myself into a piece of baby Swiss cheese. I got the second ear holes about 6-7 years ago; but I found my interest in that fashion statement waning, and I''ve pretty much let them close up. Now if hubby ever feels the need to gift me with killer diamond studs . . . I might have to reconsider.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/28/2009 3:45:11 PM
Author: HollyS

I'm with Deb though about piercings; I personally don't want to make myself into a piece of baby Swiss cheese.
I am glad that you brought up our shared tastes yet again, Holly, because it gives me an opportunity to say something I have been wanting to say!

Since you and I have political views that are like night and day and we "met" in political threads on which we were always on opposite sides, it has been an ongoing revelation to find that we agree on so many other things in life: Christmas music; classic movies; Byzantine jewelry.

I have been increasingly drawn to you. In an attempt to get your attention, I posted something to tease you about posting the picture at the top of this thread. I jokingly said that instead of posting about the jewelry worn by the woman in the photo, we could use this thread to analyze your need to post that photo. Then I posted a photo of a woman on an analyst's coush, a psychoanalyst's couch. It seemed more elegant than saying, " Are you crazy, Holly?"

At any rate, other Pricescopers misunderstood my intentions. At first I was angry. It seemed unfair that I couldn't make a joke. But if a lot of people misunderstood me, the problem was obviously mine.

I did not mean to offend them. I did not mean to offend you. I apologize to anyone I offended. I want to help make Pricescope a pleasant, friendly place to spend time...as I always wanted to in the past. So please forgive my transgressions.

Deborah/AGBF
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Oh Deb, don't worry sweetie; no need to apologize. You always worry about everybody else's feelings, don't you? Even when we might actually need a smack-down!
9.gif

I did not take offense. Actually, I never saw the post with the analyst's couch -- was it removed? All I have seen is your first post; but I have to admit, without the benefit of an 'emotie' to guide me, I wasn't sure of your mood . . . .I thought maybe I had offended you!

If ever I do step over the line, just matter of factly let me know. Don't make me scratch my head and wonder, okay?
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And, oh, to analyze my need to poke fun at the Piercing Queen . . . . I'd say it has something to do with my desire to make others uglier than I this week!
3.gif
It's been one of those windy, humid, my hair looks like roadkill on my head weeks; and I confess that I've felt less than glamorous from Tuesday on.

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for listening.
28.gif

I need to go now and take a long hot bath (hubby scrubbed the tub this morning just for me; wasn't he an angel?), maybe do the hair color thing I've needed for about two months (I'm lazy, what can I say), and scrub and buff myself to almost presentable. I owe it to the hubs; he hasn't seen me look good since Monday!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/28/2009 4:45:34 PM

All I have seen is your first post; but I have to admit, without the benefit of an ''emotie'' to guide me, I wasn''t sure of your mood . . . .I thought maybe I had offended you!
See...that''s the problem. That was a joke, too. That''s my sense of humor. I have a dry sense of humor. I assume people get it. Then they don''t. I am going to have to take some responsibility for that. You were not the only one affected, Holly :(.

Deb
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 4:59:18 PM

Date:
2/28/2009 4:45:34 PM

All I have seen is your first post; but I have to admit, without the benefit of an ''emotie'' to guide me, I wasn''t sure of your mood . . . .I thought maybe I had offended you!
See...that''s the problem. That was a joke, too. That''s my sense of humor. I have a dry sense of humor. I assume people get it. Then they don''t. I am going to have to take some responsibility for that. You were not the only one affected, Holly :(.

Deb
34.gif
I''m back, all pink and sweet smelling. The hair color is next.

I have learned, the hard way, that some of us must be blatant when we are poking fun; my own dry wit has gotten me in many a scrape here on PS. It''s just because we don''t have the benefit of hearing ''voice inflection'', or seeing body language. I''ve found that I must almost always resort to ''emphasizing'' words with little marks, italics, or bold print, and if all else fails, provide the nearly appropriate emotie to make certain no one thinks I''m just being sarcastic. Well, sometimes I am being sarcastic . . . . .

I absolutely love to read posts by TGal, PurrfectPear, and Deco, because of their ''take no prisoners'' wit. They offend sometimes too, not that they (always) intend to; but I never read their posts -- even when the comic jab is meant for me -- and think they aren''t funny. But some posters don''t have that ability to read between the lines and discern the intent of our posts, so those of us who seem to be frustrated stand-up comics just need to get used to providing the necessary *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* for other posters.

I don''t know who you might have offended, but anyone who has been on PS for any length of time must know that you would not intentionally hurt anyone''s feelings. And you did not hurt mine. I still love you.
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I join the group hug? I only have one set of ear piercings.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/1/2009 8:39:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Can I join the group hug? I only have one set of ear piercings.
2.gif
Prude!

Uh oh! I never learn! Forget I said that! One pair is enough. It''s plenty. It suffices. Don''t worry. You''re not really a prude. I''m sorry.

Deb ;-)
34.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Lol!!! I probably am, but that''s okay!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Join us, diamondseeker! We might be older, and prudier, and prunier, but we''re still interesting and fun!
3.gif
2.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 3:53:28 PM

Date:
2/27/2009 3:48:04 PM
Author: swingirl

Yep, I have 21 year old daughter. She had to wait until she turned 18 and could sign for herself; for ears and everything else.

Then God bless you. There is no more to be said except that you are a better mother than I am. I have done everything I could to mother my child appropriately, but she still pierced her own nose.

Deborah
34.gif
I pierced my nose too, also with a sewing needle, when I was 15. My mom cried when she saw it- I thought she was used to my shenanigans by then, but I guess not! I felt a bit bad about it, but I still left it in for a few months. (I was very lucky mom didn''t inspect the rest of me for illicit self inflicted piercings I guess!)

Amusingly enough, when I got my nose repierced at 30 with a 1mm diamond stud, my mom loves it now. (My husband, on the other hand, nearly divorced me, which is another story altogether.)

Re: the picture, I do wonder how she could chew.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/2/2009 12:09:19 AM

Join us, diamondseeker! We might be older, and prudier, and prunier, but we're still interesting and fun!
3.gif
2.gif

diamondseeker, this is actually getting a little scary. You and I liked the same piece of Christmas music (to which you introduced me) so much that we both decided to use it as an e-mail Christmas card from YouTube. (I listened to that that song and watched that video for months!) And I do not like a lot of modern music.

Holly and I have found that we both love the old version of, "The Women" and some Christmas music. ("The Coventry Carol", Holly? I don't recall which pieces.)

The only topic on which we seem to be in disagreement is politics. You and Holly seem to be closer to each other if I remember your postitions correctly. I am out in left field ;-).

My husband (who describes himself as so far right that there is nothing farther right than the wall) always says that I am a conservative at heart. Then we have a fight because I say he is condescending to me and I know my own political philosophy. He means well, however. He says that if ever there was a true conservative, it is I because I believe in family values and doggies and helping people and the individual virtues in which true conservatives believe. And I don't like more than one set of holes in my ears, either. That sort of personal thing ;-).

At any rate, I would be glad to be in a club with the two of you :).

Hugs all around,
Deb
34.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
AGBF, I''m so glad you explained. I thought you were really going after Holly and it seemed so out of character. I didn''t realize at all that you were only teasing her
25.gif
*PP slaps forehead

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/2/2009 12:36:28 PM
Author: purrfectpear

AGBF, I''m so glad you explained. I thought you were really going after Holly and it seemed so out of character.

Heck, at least it seemed out of character to you! That''s a point in my favor! I can''t expect all of Pricescope to have seen the postings exchanged between Holly and me. Only those who have been closely reading the threads in Jewelry Pieces would know of our growing friendship and see how much bantering we have been doing. [Not to mention my gracious invitaion to her to come to my home during summer vacation ;-) . ]

Deb
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:52:16 PM

Date:
3/2/2009 12:36:28 PM

AGBF, I''m so glad you explained. I thought you were really going after Holly and it seemed so out of character.

Heck, at least it seemed out of character to you! That''s a point in my favor! I can''t expect all of Pricescope to have seen the postings exchanged between Holly and me. Only those who have been closely reading the threads in Jewelry Pieces would know of our growing friendship and see how much bantering we have been doing. [Not to mention my gracious invitaion to her to come to my home during summer vacation ;-) . ]

Deb
34.gif

Notice how I haven''t said "I can''t come", even though I didn''t accept yet.
2.gif
While I''d love to get together, I probably won''t get to VA this year. But I do appreciate the invite. And if you''re ever in Texas, my door is wide open to my bud, Deb.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:36:28 PM
AGBF, I''m so glad you explained. I thought you were really going after Holly and it seemed so out of character. I didn''t realize at all that you were only teasing her
25.gif
*PP slaps forehead

And to think I missed all the drama.
9.gif

I think Deb is having a hard time getting over this furor she created. Poor thing. Deb, if anyone knows about ''hoof in mouth'' disease, it would be me and Purrfectpear. It''ll be okay.
28.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,

Thank you so much for explaining. I really didn''t understand either. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Linda
xoxoxoxox

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/2/2009 2:16:40 PM
Author: Linda W

Thank you so much for explaining. I really didn't understand either. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Linda
xoxoxoxox

Thank you, Linda. As I said above, my first reaction is often to get angry and blame the people who "kept me from even making a joke"! But on closer reflection, if a great many other people do not "get" the joke it is pretty darn clear who is the one at fault!!! So thank you for accepting the apology :).

Deb
34.gif

PS-xoxoxoxox

AnOliveBranch.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...this doesn''t belong in this thread, but neither does a lot of other stuff that''s in here ;-). Unless I start a new thread (which perhaps I will), I don''t know where to post new pictures I have of beautiful crosses. In which thread were we posting those? I do not even know to whom I should address my question. I just know that you, Holly, and you, Sharon, were among the posters involved in the cross discussion.

PS-If I start a new thread on crosses, which I think is a great idea now that I see how many truly beautiful ones are out there, that will leave a lot of "loose" crosses in a thread somewhere, which will make me crazy. Unless I post a link to that thread? That might assuage my OCD. (Just thinking outloud as I wonder whether to start a new thread.) And I don''t even wear crosses!!!

PPS-Pearlman''s, alone, has enough crosses to make a thread! And someone (Holly?) sent us to ylang. We definitely need a thread on crosses in Jewelry Pieces!

Deborah
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I think the crosses were in a specific thread within Jewelry Pieces; someone asked where to find unusual crosses. Maybe about 3-4 weeks back.

I''m all for beginning a brand new thread, nothing but cross jewelry. I personally have other pieces that are not pendants; did you want your thread to be only about crosses for neck wear?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/3/2009 11:49:15 AM

I think the crosses were in a specific thread within Jewelry Pieces; someone asked where to find unusual crosses. Maybe about 3-4 weeks back.

I''m all for beginning a brand new thread, nothing but cross jewelry. I personally have other pieces that are not pendants; did you want your thread to be only about crosses for neck wear?

Hi, Holly! Almost immediately after starting the new thread I had to take my daughter to school. (We had a two hour delayed opening here today after the schools were closed entirely yesterday due to snow, so I left relatively late in the day!)

You were right; there had been a separate thread on unusual crosses. Sharon found it, so a link to it is posted in the new cross thread I started.

Naturally, all the cross jewelry that you find is welcome in the cross thread. I had just assumed that most jewelry would be pendants. When I returned from my errands today there were already 21 postings to the new thread, though, most of them yours...and, as usual, you used your ingenuity. You had posted photos of many beautiful cross pendants and a beautiful cross ring.

I''ll see you back at the cross thread!

Hugs,
Deb...whom you have inspired :)
34.gif

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
OMG!! That pic is going to give me nightmares!
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results