shape
carat
color
clarity

Omega necklace

thekokeshi

Rough_Rock
Interested in investing in an omega necklace and wondering how others feel about the piece. Do most average people assume someone in an omega is in costume jewelry, instead of gold, when the necklace on the thicker side (30 grams)? I suppose it may be more worth it to invest in another necklace style like DBTY if an omega comes across as more costume jewelry.

Do any of you with omega necklaces find issue with it pinching your skin or baby hairs? Does it cause redness or rash due to pinching or hair pulling? I usually wear my hair down and I have longer wavy hair. Appreciate any input!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I’ve actually got 2.
One no longer fits (16 inches) and the other nice omega necklace I bought off a fellow PSer. Luckily it had an extension piece (I have a fat neck).
My one is tapered, thicker at the front, and sits very nicely on the neck.
My original one is actually white gold one side and yellow gold the other. It’s the same width all round. That’s two style in one.
The only thing is that they are sort of rigid. This means you can accidentally “dent” the necklace. They aren’t for wearing to bed, I dented my first one that way.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I have always loved them & want one myself. I would not assume costume jewellery.
I like the idea of different holds on different sides as I wear two tone.

thekokeshi

Rough_Rock
Hi, I’ve actually got 2.
One no longer fits (16 inches) and the other nice omega necklace I bought off a fellow PSer. Luckily it had an extension piece (I have a fat neck).
My one is tapered, thicker at the front, and sits very nicely on the neck.
My original one is actually white gold one side and yellow gold the other. It’s the same width all round. That’s two style in one.
The only thing is that they are sort of rigid. This means you can accidentally “dent” the necklace. They aren’t for wearing to bed, I dented my first one that way.

I'd love to see how both look on you if you don't mind! Do you mean that one side is yellow gold and the underneath is white so flipping it upside down gives it a new look? Cool multi-use function!

I have a gifted steel omega chain which is what first got me excited about omega styles. Since this necklace so much thinner than the type of omegas I've got my eye on, I can't tell if there would be issue of snagging or pulling skin/hair if the piece were weightier. Since this post wasn't really getting any traction, I was thinking omegas must be something people don't care enough to comment about. Super glad to hear that you like your omega enough to get more than one! Will consider investing in one when I buy a decent safe. Sadly, a the family heirloom jewelry got stolen during a house fumigation prior to my birth. Building up a collection from scratch makes me careful about what styles will hopefully stand the test of time and trends.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_161913__01.jpg
    IMG_20210930_161913__01.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 14kt YG one that is about 30 years old. My mother bought it as a gift and in the years that followed, would buy me a new slide pendants for it. I loved it and wore it daily for years. While I can be sure, I don't recall any issues wearing. The one thing I didn't like was having to store it in a case so it didn't bend.

It was YG and I stopped wearing it when I went on a WG kick. I've remember wishing it was one that was WG on one side and YG on the other...but didn't want to invest in a new one. Now that I am back to wearing YG at times, I really should get it back out.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think they go out of style, they are a simple yet elegant look, nice and shiny too. They are easy to layer with.
The 16 inch one doesnt fit anymore (I have thyroid issues so my neck has enlarged) but I totally recommend getting one that has the two colour golds.
Heres the photos, the clasp and ends are white gold.
E703A0E6-7E57-41C9-8B04-A6F849DF00F1.jpeg 851D50AA-2781-4E01-8DEA-7A369EF7FDD5.jpeg

Thank you for posting a picture Bron! I had no idea what an omega chain was.

I also suggest getting one that is double sided, WG and YG. I think it gives it better versatility.

thekokeshi

Rough_Rock
A choker necklace is 12 inches for me so I wonder if a 16 inch omega would sit well on my neck. Since they don't quite fall the way a standard chain would, I'll probably check out a department store to test it out and then find something online. I see a lot of 16 inch ones but maybe I should do 15?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pulled my omega chain and a few slides. I really should clean them up and wear them! Thanks OP for starting this thread as these had been sitting in a box forgotten. I hope you find the right chain size for you. 20211005_231442.jpg

thekokeshi

Rough_Rock
Pulled my omega chain and a few slides. I really should clean them up and wear them! Thanks OP for starting this thread as these had been sitting in a box forgotten. I hope you find the right chain size for you. 20211005_231442.jpg

Wow I hadn't seen slides with omega chains before! Are they specifically slide charms for the omega or just happen to fit? Did you purchase them marketed as omega necklace slide charms? So lovely!

I saw an absolute steal for a 10k omega on Etsy but didn't purchase it since the size was a bit too big for me.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I hadn't seen slides with omega chains before! Are they specifically slide charms for the omega or just happen to fit? Did you purchase them marketed as omega necklace slide charms? So lovely!

I saw an absolute steal for a 10k omega on Etsy but didn't purchase it since the size was a bit too big for me.

They slides are specifically designed for the wider flat omega chains. At the time my mother bought my omega chain, the omega slide pendants were popular. The chains and pendants were found in most jewelry stores.

My mom was into these "add a piece" collections. She would buy me the base and then add a piece for special occasions.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think they go out of style, they are a simple yet elegant look, nice and shiny too. They are easy to layer with.
The 16 inch one doesnt fit anymore (I have thyroid issues so my neck has enlarged) but I totally recommend getting one that has the two colour golds.
Heres the photos, the clasp and ends are white gold.
E703A0E6-7E57-41C9-8B04-A6F849DF00F1.jpeg 851D50AA-2781-4E01-8DEA-7A369EF7FDD5.jpeg

Hi Bron would an extension chain help so that you can wear this again? You can just hook to the back. Not sure how much longer you the necklace to be but 5 cm extension chains are easily found.

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock

If you don’t want an omega that pinches your skin or catches in your hair, the most important things you need to look at are the quality of the links (smooth, finished to create one smooth surface) and the right size for your neck so it lays well. It sounds like 15” may be the right size for you, but that is an uncommon size for an omega and I’m not quite certain how you would achieve that.

I have a few, of varying mm widths. This one is 10mm, around 78g, and I don’t find that people assume it is fake. The clasp is modified to a very secure push-button style action so that it bears the weigh well.

4A6258B7-4340-4BA2-8673-027D684827A5.jpeg

I also have an 8mm, 6mm and very narrow 4mm reversible white/yellow gold one. I really like the way they sit on the neck, and find them to be classic. I spent some time collecting a few in the windo of time where yellow gold was out of favor and omegas were unpopular; now they have become trendy again and people love mine. So, I do think they are relatively timeless as long as they are to your personal taste. With smaller widths (4-6mm) just make sure you are looking for an omega that is finished on both sides, rather than domed with an underside with exposed mesh/metalwork and it shouldn’t pinch.

They are hard to pack for travel, and do need special jewelry boxes or cases, should yours come with one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results