shape
carat
color
clarity

Old round diamond in new Beaudry stilette mounitng

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
My old round diamond is finally back from Beaudry in a new setting and I cannot be happier. My round diamond was in a typical 80''s yellow gold setting with rows of channel-set rounds and baguettes. The setting looks dated and the cut of the diamond was mediocre. Plus I picked up a bruise some how on a crown facet, which bothered me even though it was not eye visible. Two months ago, I decided to reset the stone in a Beaudry signature stillette mounting. Since the stone is coming out of the mounting, I decided to have it recut to remove the bruise and to improve the appearance. I went through The Diamond Broker, but Stephen Moore at Beaudry helped me design the ring and personally supervised the project. He took care of getting the stone recut and recertified by GIA. The stone was a 2.61 ct G VVS2. It is now 2.45 ct, but the symmetry grade improved from ''good'' to ''very good'' and the stone looks much better. I wanted a picture frame around the diamond, but I didn''t like the look of round on round. Stephen suggested to use a cushion shaped picture frame around the round center. The spllit shank has pave set round diamonds and a stilette in between the split. The rest of the shank has hand engraving on three sides. The workmanship on the ring is super. Even though the diamond lost weight, it now looks like over 3 carats due to addition of the picture frame. I can''t believe how much better the ring looks! Here are 4 views of the ring:

round--beaudry-stilette.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the before photo:

rd-old-setting.jpg

Shay

Shiny_Rock
OH MY WORD!
36.gif

What an incredible job, you must be ecstatic!

The final ring is superior in so many ways to the previous ring which (although beautiful) can not hold a candle to this work of art. Every time I look I see something different, the little gold scroll work is so pretty. I also love that you improved the cut of your stone the size loss is negligable compared to that improvement and I love the cushion setting.

Congratulations!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shay:

Your ring is really beautiful and the cutter really minimized the weight loss in your stone and it looks truly stunning. With only a 9% loss from your original stone.

Most diamonds need the pavilion repolished (re-cut) to gain 80% of what ever can be achieved in maximizing a better cut quality. By Recutting the pavilion or bottom of the diamond will result in the least amount of weight loss. Most symmetry problems exist in the pavilion faceting and can be fixed there. By recutting the crown of the diamond it would result in a much bigger weight loss.

The aesthetic appeal in which a diamond will perform better visually is largely dependent on the crown & pavilion angle. Repolishing the pavilion would in effect change the crown/pavilion angle relationship in reflecting light entering the stone at the best critical angle in reflecting it back out the top.

Imagine that the pavilion facets act as mirrors reflecting the light entering the stone back out the top. When these "mirrors" are positioned wrong many different effects can occur which can either increase or decrease the stones overall performance. Facet angle, length, and placement are also critical.
I think given your situation the cutter seemed to do a good job outlining maximizing the visual impact of your diamond in regards to retaining as much weight, being there are certain carat weight increments which suffer a percentage in the overall value due to the loss of initial weight in re-cutting..

There are some people who like getting their stones cut to super ideal proportions and it is in their best interest to get an expert involved along with getting a full sarin report run on the stone and then a competent cutter can properly assess the correct way in cutting the stone to maximize the best results based on the current measurements with maximizing weight retention.

This may have been a little more info than you were looking for, but I hope you found some of this info useful especially since it relates to repolishing a diamond.
Your diamond and setting look marvelous…!
21.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Art Nouveau,
This is a beautiful makeover! I love the new square halo for your ring and all the beautiful detail. What a gorgeous profile and scroll detail. Definately a stunner!

Josh,
Wow, thanks so much for the great technical insight on re-cutting stones.
34.gif
I love reading your posts, they are so informative, well written, and so helpful.
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful!!!
30.gif
What a difference from the 80''s-ish style of the before setting. I like the cushion-shaped halo so much. Hand shots?

DiamondLil

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
That has got to be one of the best diamond "makeovers" I have ever seen! Kudos to you for trusting the professionals to do right by you in removing the damage done to your stone and for finding such a resource in Stephen. What a wonderful collaboration! I am curious, were you nervous during any part of the project, were there any setbacks or difficulties? I bet your success will inspire many to bite-the-bullet and turn a nice piece of jewerly into an amazing one! Thank you for sharing it with us!

And Josh- I echo the previous comment thanking you for your insight & knowledge. I look forward to your posts and always think of you as one of the experts here on p.s. Keep up the great work!

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Love Love Love your new Beaudry ring!!! Its very beautiful.

Congrats,

Lori-yellow

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
WOW....all I can say is WOW!!! What a beautiful ring and stone! Absolutely beautiful!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, that is beautiful! I love the cushion shaped frame with the round diamond.

I have a dumb question..what's a buise on a diamond? I've never heard of this.
33.gif

EDIT: Never mind. I googled it and found the answer
9.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love the new setting. It''s gorgeous! It is really a work of art.
36.gif

I''m not sure what a bruise is, but I''m glad that they were able to re-cut it without losing too much weight. (Josh''s explanation went in one eye...blurred...and went out the other, lol.)

I also like your old setting. I guess I will always love the 80s yellow gold settings, even if Mara does think yellow gold is tacky!
3.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dearlord.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. I am going through the same thing. But my diamond is only a 1 ct. round. I am having trouble finding a setting that I like, I have looked through 100''s of designs on the web and seen some simon g and martin flyer rings in person that have a similar design to your ring. When I find a ring that I like, the basket of diamonds is too small or the shank is to large or too narrow. I have a size 4 finger. Even though my ring is small I want alot of diamonds around it to make the ring look larger. You said that Beaudry worked with you. I live near philly and nyc and I am afraid of getting taken any suggestions. I would like the setting in plat. Can I ask what I should expect to pay?
1.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohhhhh, makes my heart go pittypat pittypat
30.gif
Hand pics please.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
wow, beautiful ring. you have the most amazing collection!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
amazing......it turned out perfect!!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drop dead Gorgeous, simply amazing!! That''s quite a transformation, I just love it.
36.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
That is absolutely stunning! I''m kind of at a loss for words!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
30.gif
30.gif

WOW!!!!!! That''s like, a Diamond "extreme makeover"!!! The weight-loss is totally unapparent--with that gorgeous cushion-shape halo, amazing pave and better cut, it DOES look bigger, fiery-er, just AMAZING!!!!!

Hard to believe it''s the same stone. KUDOS and wear it in great health and happiness! LOVE IT!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning!!
30.gif
What and amazing transformation!! Congrats!
9.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! Hand shots! Hand shots!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love it!!
30.gif
The whole thing is gorgeous!!! Hand pics please
2.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Stunning ring! Congratulations.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
How elegant!! I love it!!
1.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Purrrrrrr! gorgeous ring
30.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wow--this turned out just spectacularly! It is, as others have noted, a work of art!
30.gif
The stone is just great too. I have never seen a ring/design quite like this.

Well done!!
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
wow!!! that new ring is amazing!!! what an improvement!!! its beautiful!!!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
amazing! i really like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results