shape
carat
color
clarity

Old mine Diamond specs

shicara

Rough_Rock
4E6C2641-48B2-46BA-8FE1-60DC24338364.jpeg hello everybody.
I am calling upon you for some help for an old
Mine beauty. She looks amazing but my knowledge is not strong. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the below please. Thank you !

Last edited:

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
4E6C2641-48B2-46BA-8FE1-60DC24338364.jpeg hello everybody.
I am calling upon you for some help for an old
Mine beauty. She looks amazing but my knowledge is not strong. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the below please. Thank you !

Ahhhh! Just saw this stone on Dolly’s page. It’s a beautiful stone.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also saw it. Beautiful stone. I love the color. I would LOVE to have a stone with brown undertones.

shicara

Rough_Rock
Do you know much about the specs ?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness - is it the one on her IG? That is AMAZING :love: ridiculous price too.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is no way to evaluate the faceting of old cuts without seeing a photo or better yet video of the actual stone. Having a GIA report is not useful for judging the performance of antique cut stones, except in very general ways like seeing if the stone is too shallow or too deep. Please provide photo/video.

From the GIA report only, I can tell a couple things. The stone is a little deep and so the carat weight of the stone is sunk into depth (versus outwards enlarging the diameter in a shallower cut). A deep old cut stone will not have as big of a diameter and will look comparatively smaller than a shallower old cut stone. This is typical for “old mine” cuts. Depending on how deep the stone is, it may be difficult to set. If you want a visually larger or more symmetrical old cut stone, go for an Old European Cut. Old Mine brilliant or Cushions can be stunning too, you just have to evaluate factors like this in person.

I like faint brown undertones like previous poster. They can make an L color stone pinker (as opposed to yellower) and sometimes that looks pretty in rose gold. Medium blue fluorescence can lighten up a stone’s color. You would need to evaluate color in person.

Also, who is Dolly? I’ve never heard of this vendor and I’d love to know about another old cut vendor.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's xothebijouxbox on Instagram. She has a video up on Insta as well.

I saw this, too!! Very beautiful, crisp, and has so much character!!
Even at its depth, it still has great presence!!
I love it!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link kipari.

The cut of this stone looks more along the lines of an antique cushion cut. It is more refined than the older old mine cut styles. This one is lively and nicely shaped. It does seem a little deep, therefore not as big in diameter for the carat weight as OECs for example. It looks like it has not been rehabbed or repolished because I can see a few typical and non worrisome flea bites along the girdle. This indicates a stone that is truly antique.

Because of possible depth of the diamond, you will want to carefully consider how you will set it. It may not fit into an “off the shelf” pronged setting, you may have to go custom. This will add to the cost.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I think its beautiful. Ideally though I would personally try to find a slightly less deep antique diamond.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
LOL @Lovesparklesparle the cushion I am selling was Dolly's upgrade prior to the stone the OP posted!!:lol::lol: I am beginning to think that Dolly and I are the same bling person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I found it. It's her personal ER cushion. That says it all. I think it is GORGEOUS. Great light play. Very lively. Beautiful glow. Colors galore. LOVE.

But one caveat...not for everyone. Despite the brown modifier it will face up on the warmer side so something to be aware of and you need to love cushions to love the faceting and on and off pattern.

I think it is gorgeous. But my preferences are with OECs so it wouldn't be my HG. But it sure is someone's HG and it is just beautiful for an antique cushion IMO.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe she's selling this one! LOVE the brown undertones with the medium fluorescence.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results