shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cut Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

set2374

Rough_Rock
A number of years ago, I inherited three old mine cut diamonds from my great grandmother ranging in size from 2.2 to 3.4 carats. The diamonds themselves are of obvious poor quality, but they are family heirlooms and have intrinsic value to my family. I might use the stones as a pendant or earings for my mother. Although the diamonds haven''t been graded, they are visibly yellow, have large culets (large enough that you they appear as inclusions when face up) and are included... ranging from I1, to I2-I3. The smallest of the three is an I1, it''s yellow and poorly cut, but it''s the least included of the three. Since the stones in their present condition aren''t particularly wearable and have been sitting in a plastic baggy for the past 10 years, I was thinking of having one or two of the three recut, laser drilled and color treated. I have the following questions:

1. I understand that you can turn a poorly colored white into a canary with irradiation. How effective is this process??? How effective is an HPHT treatment in whitening a very yellow (not yellow enough to be fancy) diamond.

2. What would the costs generally be to do this kind of work on a diamond?

3. How effective is laser drilling for large inclusions?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the old mine cut diamonds are charming. having a warmer color and large culet are part of what makes them unique. before you decide to drill and cut, consider having them put in an antique, or anitque-look setting.

here are a few examples.......

ajekjd.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
another

einkjad.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

ejiakfj.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, this will be the last one
20.gif

aren''t they lovely?

nkeaklf.jpg

set2374

Rough_Rock
I guess it''s a matter of taste. I am more of a contemporary fan. :) My great grandmother actually had two 2.4 carats, side by side, in a platinum setting... very "antique". I still have the original setting. It looks a little like a tacori actually, with the filigree and engraving. I guess whatever is old becomes new again. :) My great great grandfather was a diamond importer, so we are blessed to have so many lovely heirlooms. They wouldn''t not be considered great diamonds though by todays standards, save one, a 3.2 carat E VVS2 that my aunt had recut into a gorgeous 2.8 carat (not sure if it''s ideal) that she is using as her engagement ring. That 3.2 was originally the main stone in a chain platinum pendant, there were two 2 carat blue sapphires on the side of the diamonds two. That was a gift my great grandfather gave my great grandmother on their 10th anniversary in 1926. I guess diamonds truly are timeless, even if the cuts improve. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results