carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cut Diamond Advice Needed

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

Reposting from the Antique and Vintage thread in case this gets more traction here. I have been looking for an old mine cut diamond for an engagement ring for myself. I purchased this 1.2carat (6.88mm) stone. It's a VS2, OP color (per the EGL report). I love the shape and don't mind the color at all (I've attached pictures showing it in different lights). It cost under $2,900. I've looked at it with my loupe (at 30x magnification) and noticed it has two small chips or cracks on the girdle. They are not at all visible to the naked eye but can feel them if you run your fingernail around the edge. My instinct is to say I got a good deal but I'm concerned that these chips could become worse later or compromise the stone while it is being set. I plan to have it set in a 6-8 prong 14K gold setting.

I'm also concerned that it's not quite large enough. I "set" it temporarily on a plain gold band because i knew it would look larger once elevated and it does look pretty large in photos but not quite as large in person (I have a size 6 finger). I am looking at a 1.68carat (7.15mm) stone this week and plan to compare the two. The larger stone costs 2/3 more so I'm not sure the uptick in cost will be worth the .27 in mm. It is a also a VS2 but has an I color but like I like the color of the stone I currently have.

I guess I just want to know what you think of this stone, did I get a good deal? Do you think a stone measuring .27mm more is worth the price increase? @OoohShiny helpfully recommended I get it appraised since I have until the 31st of October to return it.

Thanks!

P.S. I bought a 1 carat CZ just to see how the size compares. It is pictured in the first photo below alongside the loose diamond and in the close up view a few rows down.
IMG_0004.jpg IMG_6774.JPG IMG_9997.jpg IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6762.JPG IMG_6760.JPG

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's our total budget for a ring? If you're concerned about both liking it, the chips, and the size now I say better off to send it back and find one that doesn't give you pause.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old mine cuts are usually cut pretty deep so you lose some of the size. I think the price is pretty good for the size you got. If you keep it, I would put
it in an 8 prong or a bezel prong set it to help protect the girdle.

Do you think it is pretty in person? Is it reflecting light well? Does it "speak" to you? If not, return it and keep looking.

You might try looking at some places on etsy
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DavidJThomasJewelry?ref=l2-shopheader-name
https://www.etsy.com/shop/IvyandRoseVintage?ref=l2-shopheader-name

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chips at 30x are probably not going to compromise the durability or integrity of the stone.

If you love the color and the cut, but only want .27 mm bigger, have you considered a super delicate halo (or under halo) for setting the stone? Or a bezel or octagon bezel?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What's our total budget for a ring? If you're concerned about both liking it, the chips, and the size now I say better off to send it back and find one that doesn't give you pause.

The total budget is about 6K. I've gotten quotes for the setting for anywhere from $900 and $1200 so the price of the stone will determine who I go with for the setting.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chips at 30x are probably not going to compromise the durability or integrity of the stone.

If you love the color and the cut, but only want .27 mm bigger, have you considered a super delicate halo (or under halo) for setting the stone? Or a bezel or octagon bezel?

@tyty333 For the setting i'm considering something like this with 6-8 prongs so I do think it will be well protected. It is pretty in person and does have some nice large flashes. I'll try to upload a video if I can. I also have updates on the larger stone I am considering which I saw today.

2.82ct Old European Cut Diamond, GIA OP VS, Rose Gold Belcher Setting 3-S.jpg

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I saw the larger stone today and am now more confused! These are the stats for the stone I saw today 1.6CT, 7.15mm, L Color, VS1, GIA graded. It is under 5k.

It's discernibly larger on my hand and has a nice depth to it due to the high crown. Attaching pictures here. Thoughts?

IMG_0041.jpg
The stone I already purchased is on the bottom (1.2, 6.85mm, VS1, OP Color, EGL graded) and the 1.6 stone is on top.

IMG_0042.jpg
1.6 on top, 1.2 on bottom

IMG_0044.jpg
1.6 stone

Now for close up shots
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 10.29.35 PM.png

VS

1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6k?! I think you can do a lot with 6k. I'm not sure this is the one.
You know I have a very similar setting I got for my stone, it was second hand and cost under 200, genuine antique. I might suggest that route so more money can go to the stone. Though that may take a little to find. Don't be hasty I think you could get something pretty great for the budget you have.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am liking the larger stone between those two. It looks significantly whiter than the OP. I agree with others that at this time you should put
most of your funds into the stone. Get Niel to help you find a true antique like her setting at a great price.

Edit...this looks similar to what you want but the stone is only 6mm so not sure if the stones you are
looking at will fit. You would have to talk to a jeweler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Gyp...498785?hash=item1a1b058ee1:g:57EAAOSwFdtXz2GZ

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results