shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European Cut Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I''ve attached a photo of an OEC diamond and drew boxes around the areas in question. (Hopefully, I attached the photo correctly!) What causes this in an OEC? Is this light escaping the diamond? Does this make the diamond less desirable? It seems to be quite common in these cuts, is this something that is just seen in photos or can you see it when viewing the diamond in person too?

Thanks very much.

squaresondiamond.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong, but I believe the spots you''ve circled are just places where the light is reflecting back at the camera. In real life they would like like flashes of fire or light.

But they''re in areas where, in other photos, you might see the culet reflecting. The culet is the circle in the very center of the diamond--the place where the point at the bottom of the diamond was cut off, making a tiny facet parallel to the table. This was commonly done in old cuts; I believe it was thought to protect the point from chipping. It creates a little "window" where you can see through the diamond to your finger, and it can reflect around, creating a sort of flowerlike pattern. Some people dislike that effect; others find it charming. There''s a name for it, which I can''t now remember. Perhaps a member with a better memory than mine will chime in.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I think what you are describing is culet reflection. (Kozibe effect)

The spots you circled in that photo look like light bouncing off a facet.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 9:29:43 PM
Author: glitterata
I could be wrong, but I believe the spots you''ve circled are just places where the light is reflecting back at the camera. In real life they would like like flashes of fire or light.

But they''re in areas where, in other photos, you might see the culet reflecting. The culet is the circle in the very center of the diamond--the place where the point at the bottom of the diamond was cut off, making a tiny facet parallel to the table. This was commonly done in old cuts; I believe it was thought to protect the point from chipping. It creates a little ''window'' where you can see through the diamond to your finger, and it can reflect around, creating a sort of flowerlike pattern. Some people dislike that effect; others find it charming. There''s a name for it, which I can''t now remember. Perhaps a member with a better memory than mine will chime in.

I agree that it is a reflection of light.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It''s some sort of reflection I think. Hard to tell from the pic, really.

OECs have different looking patterns. There really isn''t a "better" one, just a matter of taste as long as the stone has pleasing symmetry and looks lively with good edge to edge light return. Depending on the table, the culet size, and the height of the crown, the look can vary quite a bit. It''s kind of something you need to look at some in person to really develop a sense of what you like. Though pics help, you don''t really get a sense of what sort of light play and scintillation you get.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like lighting glare off the facet which is normal in any diamond.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. That really clears up some confusion. These close up shots of diamonds really tend to reveal a lot. I DID find a jeweler today and went and viewed his older cuts. I have to say, I just got "diamonds in my eyes" and basically had to run out of there. I will have to visit a few jewelers, a few times in order to make a rational, well thought out decision, rather than an emotional "oh my goodness it''s so gorgeous" decision!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results