shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut enthusiasts - how would you set a small (ish) OEC?

susief

Shiny_Rock
I am soon to be the owner of a 0.7 carat K VS2 OEC :appl: It is beautiful and quite spready at 5.9mm average diameter. Girdle is thin but no chips or damage.

I would like a solitaire setting in platinum (I don't mind visible warmth). I am a fan of bezel and semi-bezel. I like sturdy and simple. Something I don't have to baby.

Any ideas? Most "antique" settings seem very delicate and elaborate. I'm quite keen on this look, but is it too "modern" for an OEC?

http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Settings-by-Sholdt-Designs/R523-Featuring-a-090ct-Old-Eur/i-RnxZJVc/A

ETA: I'm having a local jeweller set it - I have used them before and they are pretty good and reliable. Not spectacular art or anything, but they can manage a simple setting very competently.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Old cut enthusiasts - how would you set a small (ish) OE

Given that is set with an OEC, no I don't think it's too modern at all - it looks clean and elegant and lets the diamond be the focus.
If you wanted to make it look a little more vintage, you could get the edges milgrained or add some engraving to the shank but a clean smooth bezel looks great with an OEC.
You may want to check how round yours is - if it's out of round and some can be quite wonky, a bezel can accentuate that more than you like. Your jeweller should be able to advise how to compensate for that if that's the case though.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love that setting. It will look fantastic!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I think it will look wonderful too. Love the extra protection that a bezel setting offers.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love it!! The best of 2 worlds.

Re your thought that such a mounting might be too modern: OECs were the most-round diamonds widely available "back when" & the more elaborate settings were what was fashionable at the time. So it's not as if those rings represented a true aesthetic choice by the jewelers a century or so ago; they were making rings, with what they had, that would appeal to their customers.
In that spirit, feel free to wear a OEC ring that pleases you, regardless of whether it would pass for an antique, family heirloom :))

Have you seen lots of examples of the bezel work done by your local jeweler? I may be unduly hyper on your behalf, but awesome bezeling is not something everyone can do.

susief

Shiny_Rock

Thank you foxinsox , liaerfbv , moneymeister and MollyMalone ! Really helpful input.

foxinsox good point, the diamond diameter does vary about 0.15mm overall in the written dimensions, but it looks pretty perfectly round to my eyes, even at high magnification. I will definitely ask the jeweller about it though.

MollyMalone you are right, I hadn't thought about why OECs are typically set that way. I feel more confident about the simple bezel decision now! I've seen bezels done by the jeweller and they look good but will take a closer look when I go to discuss the designs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results