shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Crystal

LuluPezza8

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me who this is made by? I have a set of 8 and there is no marking on them. They were my grandparents. image.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put your post in other shopping and reach out to Deejay.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, @Dee*Jay knows vintage glassware!

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LuLu! My best guess is that these may have been made by Libbey. I think they are glass and not crystal based on the little rounded "edge" at the top and other stylistic features. The size is a little hard to judge from just this picture. It could be either a large snifter or, if it's bigger than that, the kind off glass commonly used for something like beer. You said there are no markings, but if you turn it over and check for any reflection is there anything at all, even if it's not a full word or an obvious symbol? Like maybe a stylized L or even an F (which would be for Federal)?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I just checked my (ever growing... ) backlog of inventory on the miraculous chance I might have these or something similar, but the ones I was thinking of aren't exactly this style.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the glasses behind these with the angular stems may be Libbey too, some of the Rock Sharpe line. And the ones peeking out to the right behind these have a laurel pattern, maybe Fostoria Holly?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the glasses behind these with the angular stems may be Libbey too, some of the Rock Sharpe line. And the ones peeking out to the right behind these have a laurel pattern, maybe Fostoria Holly?

Lady, you are an expert! :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady, you are an expert! :)

Ha! If you saw the hundreds of vintage wineglasses in my dining room waiting to be listed, and the thousands (maybe TENS of thousands) of pieces downstairs ready to be shipped off to a lucky new owner once they make a purchase you'd know why! And every day I come across something new... an etch pattern I've never seen before, an entire maker I've never heard of (!), a piece that makes me go "WTF is that and what would you use it for?" Just the other day I learned about the water trough in antique butter dishes. Whew! Now THAT'S and exciting bit of knowledge! :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! If you saw the hundreds of vintage wineglasses in my dining room waiting to be listed, and the thousands (maybe TENS of thousands) of pieces downstairs ready to be shipped off to a lucky new owner once they make a purchase you'd know why! And every day I come across something new... an etch pattern I've never seen before, an entire maker I've never heard of (!), a piece that makes me go "WTF is that and what would you use it for?" Just the other day I learned about the water trough in antique butter dishes. Whew! Now THAT'S and exciting bit of knowledge! :lol:

Yes, I think I've seen those old butter dishes!
I love to learn about antiques, I find it all very thrilling! I really love jadeite, uranium and Vaseline glass. Gorgeous stuff.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uranium/vaseline and Jadite fly off my shelves! I've got two boxes of Anchor Hocking swirl pattern dishes and serving pieces I bought at an auction last fall that I need an entire weekend to sort, wash, inspect, photograph, list and store. Not sure where that entire weekend will ever come from LOL. And once THAT weekend is over I need ANOTHER weekend to do the same thing with a hugggggge lot of Miss America Pink that I got a week or two before Christmas. Those are just the large lots.. I've got tons and tons of other random stuff too. Just thinking about it makes me want to climb under the covers with a bottle of prosecco and hide! But instead I need to go downstairs and pack up a Fostora American wedding box and another candy dish for a lovely lady in Wisconsin so I can get them to the post office first thing tomorrow. The excitement here never ends!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uranium/vaseline and Jadite fly off my shelves! I've got two boxes of Anchor Hocking swirl pattern dishes and serving pieces I bought at an auction last fall that I need an entire weekend to sort, wash, inspect, photograph, list and store. Not sure where that entire weekend will ever come from LOL. And once THAT weekend is over I need ANOTHER weekend to do the same thing with a hugggggge lot of Miss America Pink that I got a week or two before Christmas. Those are just the large lots.. I've got tons and tons of other random stuff too. Just thinking about it makes me want to climb under the covers with a bottle of prosecco and hide! But instead I need to go downstairs and pack up a Fostora American wedding box and another candy dish for a lovely lady in Wisconsin so I can get them to the post office first thing tomorrow. The excitement here never ends!

When I'm in the thrift store and I see vintage glassware, I often say to myself "I bet DeeJay knows what this is!"

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL -- sadly, I probably do!

Your new cameo is really gorgeous BTW. Her curls are a work of art!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL -- sadly, I probably do!

Your new cameo is really gorgeous BTW. Her curls are a work of art!

I was really excited to find that pretty cameo!
Sometimes nice things just throw themselves at my feet!
BTW, this has been a helpful reference book for me. I used to have a booth in an antique mall, and frequently needed to ID glassware.
IMG_20230212_194959730.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG — YES! I LOVE glass books! This is one I haven’t seen… thank you for mentioning it. I come across quite a bit of cool MCM stuff and I’m always looking to learn more on that topic.

82ACE574-E1CC-4B67-83A4-3966DB11DE3C.jpeg 22AF578C-95FD-4A4E-9F14-64231E44C991.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to have to get a few of these out this week because I bought an absolutely beautiful set of glasses at an auction and for the life of me I can't figure out the etch pattern, which includes a hanging floral basket. I've searched in every way I can think of... but nada. Of course when I do figure it out I'll be like, "Oh... yah... I should have known that... "

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
499B4C06-98B1-41C0-A211-1B2C02D96839.jpeg

Attachments

• 939C1432-9497-4873-B075-35C3039ABC93.jpeg
    939C1432-9497-4873-B075-35C3039ABC93.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 17814012-FFFE-4083-B6C9-FD7590EF33ED.jpeg
    17814012-FFFE-4083-B6C9-FD7590EF33ED.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 3

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG — YES! I LOVE glass books! This is one I haven’t seen… thank you for mentioning it. I come across quite a bit of cool MCM stuff and I’m always looking to learn more on that topic.

82ACE574-E1CC-4B67-83A4-3966DB11DE3C.jpeg 22AF578C-95FD-4A4E-9F14-64231E44C991.jpeg

I love all the reference books! I have a bunch too, on various antique topics.
I have that same McCoy book!
IMG_20230212_201751001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're a genius! I've tried google lens a dozen times but never got a definitive result. I figured I'd have to pull out the pattern guides and skim through them. My best guess was Heisey, but with these some of these patterns they can be so close maker-to-maker. Now I just need to scroll through and narrow down what it's called and then I can finally put up the listing. I try to take my pictures and get them all queued up on the weekend and that way I can pop up at least one a day during the week to keep my feed active. It's like another full time job -- HA!

I wish I knew more about pottery, McCoy and all the others too. My hope is I'll gain some knowledge just through osmosis because a few of my auction friends know backwards and forwards, but so far I'm pretty lacking!

Not sure where you're located, but I don't think you and I are close together (?). That's too bad, you and I could get into some trouble together antiquing. :cheeky:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're a genius! I've tried google lens a dozen times but never got a definitive result. I figured I'd have to pull out the pattern guides and skim through them. My best guess was Heisey, but with these some of these patterns they can be so close maker-to-maker. Now I just need to scroll through and narrow down what it's called and then I can finally put up the listing. I try to take my pictures and get them all queued up on the weekend and that way I can pop up at least one a day during the week to keep my feed active. It's like another full time job -- HA!

I wish I knew more about pottery, McCoy and all the others too. My hope is I'll gain some knowledge just through osmosis because a few of my auction friends know backwards and forwards, but so far I'm pretty lacking!

Not sure where you're located, but I don't think you and I are close together (?). That's too bad, you and I could get into some trouble together antiquing. :cheeky:

Yes, your glass side hustle sounds like it gets complicated!
The antique booth was a PITA after 7 years so I finally gave it up last year. What a relief! It was a lot of work for a little money.
But I still go to thrifts, yard sales and estate sales.
Yes, we could get into trouble! I'm down here in NM

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come across many glasses being donated to the charity shop where I used to volunteer, mainly because they required hand-washing and could not go into a dishwasher.

Once, a set of 5 pretty lemonade glasses came in, and were marked for 30+ GBP each! I suspect it was originally a set of 6 and one got broken.

I have also come across a pretty cider glass elsewhere that cost 3k+ GBP, apparently it is a museum piece!

DK :))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come across many glasses being donated to the charity shop where I used to volunteer, mainly because they required hand-washing and could not go into a dishwasher.

Once, a set of 5 pretty lemonade glasses came in, and were marked for 30+ GBP each! I suspect it was originally a set of 6 and one got broken.

I have also come across a pretty cider glass elsewhere that cost 3k+ GBP, apparently it is a museum piece!

Wow -- I would love to see those DK! Our local Salvation Army and Goodwill used to be a great source, but lately their prices have gone quite high. Not nearly what you're talking about of course, but dollars per glass, which I generally cannot afford to pay for my purpose. Someone I know who also frequents the SA and GW was talking with one of the managers and was told they are doing that to discourage resellers from buying things and then making a profit. But now no one buys them and they literally get thrown away after a period of time.

It['s interesting you mention the set of 5 / 6. I used to only sell things in even numbers, but have come around. I actually once did a thread here asking about that and the opinion was generally favorable so I went with it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow -- I would love to see those DK! Our local Salvation Army and Goodwill used to be a great source, but lately their prices have gone quite high. Not nearly what you're talking about of course, but dollars per glass, which I generally cannot afford to pay for my purpose. Someone I know who also frequents the SA and GW was talking with one of the managers and was told they are doing that to discourage resellers from buying things and then making a profit. But now no one buys them and they literally get thrown away after a period of time.

It['s interesting you mention the set of 5 / 6. I used to only sell things in even numbers, but have come around. I actually once did a thread here asking about that and the opinion was generally favorable so I went with it!

I believe the lemonade glasses had gone, as it was pre-Covid when I last worked in the charity shop, and it had undergone a major renovation since then.

Here it is for the cider glass, with the following information from my friend's post:

Beautiful very rare Georgian cider glass, circa 1765, finely engraved with apples, branches and leaves on an opaque twist stem sold this afternoon for £4800 plus commission at Hanson's Auction.

And here is the photo in his FB post:

310834875_448832574020304_6699338589343755851_n.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty awesome!!! Think about it... a piece of glass that's almost three hundred years old!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty awesome!!! Think about it... a piece of glass that's almost three hundred years old!

Don't care how old or expensive it may be - it is too small for the quantity of cider that I normally drink!

A 330ml can lasts for seconds if I am thirty and in the mood for some cider!

DK :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't care how old or expensive it may be - it is too small for the quantity of cider that I normally drink!

A 330ml can lasts for seconds if I am thirty and in the mood for some cider!

DK :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

You raise an interesting point -- glass sizes have definitely changed! I often find sets that include cordial glasses, wine glasses, water "goblets." Well the water goblet is what I consider to be a modern wine glass -- in my house anyway! And coups... don't get me started on coups... :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000

The pattern is Tiffin Franciscan Elinor! I kept thinking Heisey... but the stem wasn't right for Heisey. Finally I pinged a friend of mine (funny story about how we met!) and she knew what it was. I am so happy!

So my friend is another glass seller on Etsy. She had some purple depression glass coups that I wanted (this is back before I did this myself). She was in phoenix, and I go there every Thanksgiving to visit friends of mine. I asked her to just hold the glasses for a few days and when we got there we met up in a Lowes parking lot and swapped glass and money. It was like a drug deal, LOL! Except it was middle aged ladies trading in champagne glasses instead of cocaine. :lol: We of course became instant friends and now I see her every year on the Thanksgiving trip. Whenever one of us is stumped we'll reach outs see if the other one has any ideas. She's so lovely and I'm lucky to have met her!

Way more information that you wanted (as is my way!), but I wanted to share the pattern with you now that it's identified.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000

The pattern is Tiffin Franciscan Elinor! I kept thinking Heisey... but the stem wasn't right for Heisey. Finally I pinged a friend of mine (funny story about how we met!) and she knew what it was. I am so happy!

So my friend is another glass seller on Etsy. She had some purple depression glass coups that I wanted (this is back before I did this myself). She was in phoenix, and I go there every Thanksgiving to visit friends of mine. I asked her to just hold the glasses for a few days and when we got there we met up in a Lowes parking lot and swapped glass and money. It was like a drug deal, LOL! Except it was middle aged ladies trading in champagne glasses instead of cocaine. :lol: We of course became instant friends and now I see her every year on the Thanksgiving trip. Whenever one of us is stumped we'll reach outs see if the other one has any ideas. She's so lovely and I'm lucky to have met her!

Way more information that you wanted (as is my way!), but I wanted to share the pattern with you now that it's identified.

I'm glad you got a definitive answer on the stemware!
Understanding and identifying vintage glassware is certainly not for the faint of heart!
With all your knowledge, you are our resident PS glass expert!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

You have those in crystal? The French kind? I love those!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you got a definitive answer on the stemware!
Understanding and identifying vintage glassware is certainly not for the faint of heart!
With all your knowledge, you are our resident PS glass expert!

I think you might be giving me more credit than I'm due with the word "expert," but I do appreciate the compliment!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results