shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Crystal

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have those in crystal? The French kind? I love those!

They are absolutely beautiful! I've got eight of them. Well actually nine -- one is chipped so I get to keep that one (because... yanno... the cobbler's children have no shoes!) and the other eight will get to go live on in someone else's home some day. That makes me so happy!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay - could you provide any thoughts on these 2 decanters? I don't think they are American Brilliant Glass. The edges are not razor sharp. There is no mark on the bottoms or anywhere else. I bought these about 15 years ago from a dealer at the Round Top Tx antique fair. The dealer's only info was her sister was a flight attendant and bought them at an estate sale near Martha's Vineyard. So who knows, haha. IMG_0927.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 8

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay - could you provide any thoughts on these 2 decanters? I don't think they are American Brilliant Glass. The edges are not razor sharp. There is no mark on the bottoms or anywhere else. I bought these about 15 years ago from a dealer at the Round Top Tx antique fair. The dealer's only info was her sister was a flight attendant and bought them at an estate sale near Martha's Vineyard. So who knows, haha. IMG_0927.jpg

Wow, those are stunning!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I certainly wasn't looking for them when I found them. But I do like them a lot.

I do love super sharp American Brilliant Cut glass!
It's hard to find pieces that are in great shape with no flea bites.

Your decanters may be Czech.
Here are some similar pieces, crazy pricing!

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Ann, those are really beautiful! The pinwheel theme was commonly used in both American and European designs but I agree with Stracci that it's likely European based on the stacked neck and the style of the stopper. Chech is a good guess, although it could also be Polish. I don't think it's from the "softer" European countries like Ireland, although there is a fair amount of Irish crystal and cut glass with a pinwheel theme, however the style of the piece as a whole doesn't lend itself to that.

If I'm reading your post correctly you do believe it's glass though and not crystal... ? I understand your point about the cuts not being super sharp, and the weight would also be pretty substantial in a piece of this size if it were crystal (not that it's exactly "light" even if it's glass given how big it is!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I do love super sharp American Brilliant Cut glass!
It's hard to find pieces that are in great shape with no flea bites.

Your decanters may be Czech.
Here are some similar pieces, crazy pricing!

Oh wow, thank you! It never dawned on me to check 1st Dibs. That decanter looks a lot like mine! Both of mine are in great shape with the exception of some residue in the very bottom. So obviously they were used for something. Thank you for your help!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Ann, those are really beautiful! The pinwheel theme was commonly used in both American and European designs but I agree with Stracci that it's likely European based on the stacked neck and the style of the stopper. Chech is a good guess, although it could also be Polish. I don't think it's from the "softer" European countries like Ireland, although there is a fair amount of Irish crystal and cut glass with a pinwheel theme, however the style of the piece as a whole doesn't lend itself to that.

If I'm reading your post correctly you do believe it's glass though and not crystal... ? I understand your point about the cuts not being super sharp, and the weight would also be pretty substantial in a piece of this size if it were crystal (not that it's exactly "light" even if it's glass given how big it is!

Both decanters are very heavy. They feel like solid glass but I'm not sure. When I bought them, the antique vendor said " dear, I hope you know what you are buying" I kinda got the feeling she thought they were quite special. But honestly I didn't care, I just liked them. I paid $1200.00 for both. And I probably overpaid, haha!! Maybe she was mistaken and thought they were American Brilliant Cut Glass. How can I tell if they are glass or crystal?
Dee*Jay, I love vintage crystal .... recently bought Rogaska Gallia wine hocks. They are not real old, but love them!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both decanters are very heavy. They feel like solid glass but I'm not sure. When I bought them, the antique vendor said " dear, I hope you know what you are buying" I kinda got the feeling she thought they were quite special. But honestly I didn't care, I just liked them. I paid $1200.00 for both. And I probably overpaid, haha!! Maybe she was mistaken and thought they were American Brilliant Cut Glass.
Dee*Jay, I love vintage crystal .... recently bought Rogaska Gallia wine hocks. They are not real old, but love them!

The important part is that you love what you buy! I've got glasses that are literally from the 1800s that I drink out of and some that are totally modern, with hundreds in between. Every evening I swing open the cabinets in the kitchen and make a selection for the evening's cocktail. It's usually the best part of my day! :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You raise an interesting point -- glass sizes have definitely changed! I often find sets that include cordial glasses, wine glasses, water "goblets." Well the water goblet is what I consider to be a modern wine glass -- in my house anyway! And coups... don't get me started on coups... :lol:

cups and plates are the same
even just a generation or two back
we are greedy nowdays

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw what a delightful little thread

at the hospice shop near me almost all the glasses are 50 cents
i now have a lovelly set of 10 crystal liquor glasses (2x 5)
it only took two visits to find the extra ones

too small for today's drinkers i guess :(2

i actually did run them through the dishwasher - it has a wine glass thingy
but i would not normally - they came up very sparkly

you would think with all their volinteers the hospice shop has on their books that some one could give them a good wash in a sink full of hot soapy water - they might be able to sell them for $2 each !

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&D, you raise an interesting point about the glasses being too small for today's drinkers. I often find glasses that are called "water goblets" in a line that are no bigger than modern wine glasses. And the wine glasses in that same line would hold hardly more than a sip for us now!

About the dishwasher... I say this will full love in my heart... but please no more of that! Vintage glass (if indeed these are vintage -- and that can mean a lot of different things) will become "sick" if put through the dishwasher. The glass get hazy, and it Can Never Be Fixed. NEVER. No product, no process, NOTHING will reverse it. Many a tear have been shed over this! Every vintage glass forum has post after post. So, my wonderful friend, I beg you... hand washing only!

BTW, where are the pictures? I'd love to see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results