shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay so... how would you set this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, you want pics. Well, I''m sorry I suck and I only have one, and it''s not a good one.

I have WORDS! 11x 11 6 carat concave cut square rhodolite garnet cushion, dark burgundy red. The stone is sentimental to me. Otherwise to be honest, it''s a bit too dark to set. The concave facetting does give it a glow of fire though. Which is lovley.I don''t want to bezel it as I''m afraid of darkening it further. And I can''t seem to find any stock settings for it. So I thought.... hmm, our colored stone ladies are tapped into some creative options for stone setting, etsy dealers, ebay, adwar, etc.

I''m thinking a pendant or a ring. Something simple. And elegant. That compliments the concave facetting. Which doesn''t really make the stone look modern (as it does with so many others) because of the dark color and the cushion shape, it can handle a more vintage/milgrain look too. Any ideas. Affordable ones?

Stone has no brown, but definite violet-red. Just deep red wine color

gypsy%20garnet%202.JPG

I would love some rose gold. Or something neat. What would you ladies do with it?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any pictures, because I''ve only seen this style in a pendant at a store once, but it always stuck in my mind as a possible good way to set darker stones. I guess unless we find one it''d have to be done custom, so this might be useless to you, but I''ll try to describe it anyway: It''s a 3/4 bezel, so it is shaped something like a U-shape, and the stone is held at the bottom of the U. The bottom part where the stone is held is bent a little outwards, at maybe a 35-45 degree angle. And the top arms of the U curve in towards each other. Does that make any sense? The bezel is very delicate, so quite a lot of the stone is exposed and light can get at it easily. I''ll try to find pics of what I''m rattling on about!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a specific idea, but I''d definately go with a pendant. They offer you a chance to let more light in, without increasing potential damage to the stone by overly exposing it. In case you wear it as a slide, and wear it on a wide omega, the metal behind can be reflected through the stone and make it a bit brighter. You can also set it in a higher basket (than what would be safe in a ring) to let more light in.

Hope this helps.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d do a pendant too. Something very open such as a U-prong style.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Try Pal Gooz on Etsy at PMGART. He is wonderful!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful stone Layla!!!!! I love Chrono''s idea.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:57:42 AM
Author: Chrono
I’d do a pendant too. Something very open such as a U-prong style.

ditto!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does U prong look like? (Not very bright here).

I''d love to turn it into a pendant.

And Linda thank you. First colored stone John bought me, and my present for landing first "in house" job.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As it''s dark, I would use white gold for added contrast. Then, because it''s a great size stone, I would make a pendant AND put detail across the stone so the colour shines through. I would be tempted to do something along these lines (but for a pendant not a ring):

pSMC0217-lg.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh. I''m loving that idea; I wonder if Jane would do something like that in a pendant for it.
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - try Sally. I''m sure she''d make something phenomenal. My next project with her is recreating an antique ring I have that''s similar to this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will.l But I''m really loving working with julia and she does lovely leaves, so I''ve asked her first. If that doesn''t work out, I''ll ask sally.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s what I mean by U-prongs even though the example pictures are for earrings.

uprongearring1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely open sides and back for maximum light entry.

uprongearring2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double prong and a frontal view.

uprongearring3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely Chrono. Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono where''d you get those done? I''m loving them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are custom made in Australia. Perhaps someone in the US will be able to make something similar.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:22:13 PM
Those are custom made in Australia. Perhaps someone in the US will be able to make something similar.
Phillip Schmidt by any chance? Very nice earrings!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are gorgeous Chrono.

I've asked Julia for a sketch and qoute that combines some different elements of designs I like (including your earrings Chrono) and the morganite ring into a pendant and so we'll see what she comes up with. You know how much I love a custom project.
27.gif
I love her personality, her promptness and the fact that she's a gold smith and handmakes everything. And I love the price. Especially since for stones like this, I can't justify a large budget for the settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2009 12:11:17 AM
Author: Gailey

Yes.
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 9:26:11 AM
Date: 6/25/2009 12:11:17 AM

Author: Gailey

Yes.
9.gif

Sadly, I knew exactly what earrings those were too. I have been enamored with them for a LONG time!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2009 9:32:05 AM
Author: icekid

Sadly, I knew exactly what earrings those were too. I have been enamored with them for a LONG time!
I have that in my settings folder as inspiration. I plan to have something like that done one day.
30.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you should set it at all. Instead, just give it to me. I lurve it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
DON''T LISTEN TO ERICA!!!!!!!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Very carefully - ha ha. Sorry I couldn't resist. (thinking of my Malaya garnet) Seriously though, that is a pretty stone Gypsy. It seems like a good size for a pendant.

ETA: oops spelling

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO Cind... I''m actually torn between a cool organic setting designed just for me. And a Lan.bo4 I''ve been eyeing. And just a simple pendant inexpensive setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results