shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay - how many of you are like this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anita,
Thank you so much for posting that stone's before pictures. It was such a dramatic change, and as you can see, exemplifies why good cutting can make such a dramatic difference.

If I recall, you set it in a pendant, pictures???

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 3:39:58 AM
Author: klewis

Date: 1/27/2009 1:32:07 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/27/2009 1:11:40 PM

Author: Chrono

I have to agree with MZ. Since I''ve got my wonderful red spinel from AJS, the bug has lessened exponentially because now I compare everything to it and nothing else comes close. Same with my spess.

Same thing here. Aqua is my birthstone, so for a while I went on an aqua buying rampage. I was never happy until I got my 8 carat scissor cut stone. I think once I got that perfect stone (to my mind anyways), I stopped buying aquas. I probably need to seek professional help.
emcrook.gif

Aqua is my birthstone too. Have you posted a pic of that stone here before? I''d really love to see it.
It''s in the eyecandy thread. I have a picture of it next to a cuprian ring I''m wearing. Look towards one of the last pages. I hate the setting though. One of these days I have to get a new setting that does this stone justice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 12:03:33 AM
Author: mochi
That is awsome! Who are you thinking of using for your re-cut??
Well, I want a concave cut for that stone, but all the cutters I know that are still doing recuts do not do concave cuts. If anyone knows of a cutter that will do a concave cut, please let me know. My round stone would be perfect for a concave cut!!

cssuja

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:01:35 AM
Anita,
Thank you so much for posting that stone''s before pictures. It was such a dramatic change, and as you can see, exemplifies why good cutting can make such a dramatic difference.

If I recall, you set it in a pendant, pictures???
TL,

Yes, the stone is set in a pendant. After recut, the stone could go back into the setting without doing any alterations. Here are a couple of pictures.
Not the best ones!

suja2.jpg

cssuja

Shiny_Rock
The stone has a wonderful glow!

suja1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
OMG!!! That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
30.gif

cssuja

Shiny_Rock
Thank you TL and mochi
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 9:36:12 AM
Author: Anita

Date: 1/27/2009 11:55:27 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 11:41:55 PM
Author: mochi
TL!! I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
your collection! I''m so in love with that color blue right now. Right now I''m into shapes, EC, step cuts, asscher.
Thanks Mochi. I am inspired to get a recut because this stone (purchased by someone else a while ago) was your typical windowed paraiba bought off of ebay. The window was so large, but the color was very pretty. I wish I had the before picture, but I don''t anymore. She lost some caratage (it was a big stone to begin with), but oh my goodness!!

Richard Homer did the recut (back when he was doing recuts). Even with the needles, her well priced ebay purchase became glorious.
Hi TL,

This is the picture before recut.
What a difference! WOW!

I''ve got an 18ct oval Paraiba that''s in need of a re-cut and seeing yours has started me thinking............! Anybody know who I could approach?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the cutters I solicited, Michael E of gemshoppe.com and Dan Stair both do recuts. Dan even talks about it on his website. I would solicit both of them, and give the dimensions of your stone. You don't hear a lot about Micheal E on PS, but he did cut some aqua rough for Widget, and she was quite pleased. I don't think either gentleman does concave faceting though, but they might know who does.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 10:05:40 AM
Date: 1/28/2009 3:39:58 AM

Date: 1/27/2009 1:32:07 PM

Date: 1/27/2009 1:11:40 PM

Author: Chrono

I have to agree with MZ. Since I''ve got my wonderful red spinel from AJS, the bug has lessened exponentially because now I compare everything to it and nothing else comes close. Same with my spess.

Same thing here. Aqua is my birthstone, so for a while I went on an aqua buying rampage. I was never happy until I got my 8 carat scissor cut stone. I think once I got that perfect stone (to my mind anyways), I stopped buying aquas. I probably need to seek professional help.
emcrook.gif

Aqua is my birthstone too. Have you posted a pic of that stone here before? I''d really love to see it.

It''s in the eyecandy thread. I have a picture of it next to a cuprian ring I''m wearing. Look towards one of the last pages. I hate the setting though. One of these days I have to get a new setting that does this stone justice.

Found it TL. Now that I have seen the great colour of your aqua and I realize now the aquas that I have seen in the flesh very grey and cold looking despite them looking as if they are well cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 5:18:13 PM

Found it TL. Now that I have seen the great colour of your aqua and I realize now the aquas that I have seen in the flesh very grey and cold looking despite them looking as if they are well cut.
Thanks Klewis,
My stone still has some grey in it, as you can see clearly next to the cuprian I posted by its side. Paraibainternational has some really nice aquas with deeper blues and less grey, but I do love my stone. It's getting more and more difficult to find deep colored aquamarine.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
LOL! Yes, I have that syndrome! I want to get a killer blue sapphire for a ring. Do you think I have one yet? Nooooooo. I keep buying emeralds! [ring, earrings, bracelet, another ring, yet another, . . . .]. Oy . . .

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 12:26:54 PM
Author: TravelingGal
LOL, I don''t think you have to have your head examined, as we all collect something.

To answer your question, even though I have loved lurking and gawking on this forum for ages, I would rather buy one awesome specimen from the type of gem that I covet vs a bunch of decent ones. I guess because I would have no joy from just seeing them in a box...I have to be able to wear them, so I don''t think I''m a true collector.

But I get why people do. I mean, people collect stamps...what are those but to sit and admire (and maybe get rich of a rare one!)? It''s not like they are licking them and putting them on mail.

I think I agree with Tgal - well so far in my small experience. I love having my new umbalite loose in that its fun to photograph, but I''m extra keen to get it set and start wearing it.
I would definately rather have one awesome specimen than a bunch of so-so ones I don''t really love - but this probably also has alot to do with what your budget will allow too.

I think I will be happy buying some species just to collect and not wear, such as opals.
But the rest are all going to end up on my fingers/neck/ears/where ever else at some point.
11.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results