shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, since we''re exploring all options... let''s talk HEADS, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
sorry it took so long~ I have to say that the prongs are really thin and delicate in person, the pictures make them look way more big. but a part of me wishes it was a bit lower when I look at it from the side. But from every other angle it looks great and the diamonds really sparkle like crazy. But your ring will sit flush next to it since it is set a bit higher. I will try to find some more pics to post.

mara, your picture is cracking me up!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock

ritmaybe3.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ivana,
Please see the question about the little decorative "V" in my last post, please! Thank you soooo much!

JCrow,
THAT'S IT - that's the ring in one of the thumbnails I posted. I just couldn't get the photo any bigger, no matter what I tried. Thank you! xoxoxo

Now, I like that head (is it considered a "basket"?) -- but I don't really like the thin little bar below the culet. I think that bar could be a little thicker and that would create less open space there -- which I think I would like better.

AND... another consideration... that ring almost has a cathedral look to it... see how the shoulders swoop up towards the head? I noticed that Slammie's is like that. But the w-rings that match those style of rings rings don't do that... they are a uniform "depth" all around... so in that respect the e-ring and w-ring are a little different from one another. Not sure if I would like that or not? Any thoughts, anyone?

ARGH, decisions, decisions!!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
glad to help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that is a fabulous last picture JC...that shows the flare PERFECTLY right there...see how its' small and flares out. But the swoop one I saw instead of the pave bar has the little swoop in the middle there. And that one is much more delicate than those other Ritani pictures from their website.

Also I LOVE the cathedral thing, I think it makes the diamond look bigger....which I would love! Pave cathedral yum!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I went to the thread Mara linked above... here's the photo she posted. She was a little confuzzled then, and she's a little confuzzled still
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
but it is a lovely head!!!

ritanisolitairebymara.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 5:14:14 PM
Author: Mara
Oh that is a fabulous last picture JC...that shows the flare PERFECTLY right there...see how its'' small and flares out. But the swoop one I saw instead of the pave bar has the little swoop in the middle there. And that one is much more delicate than those other Ritani pictures from their website.

Also I LOVE the cathedral thing, I think it makes the diamond look bigger....which I would love! Pave cathedral yum!

Could it be done without the cathedral look, do you suppose?

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Pesky work keeps getting in the way. The v''s are on all four sides, it looks art-deco in style, but you really have to look closely to notice them. I don''t think anyone that has even looked closely at my ring has commented on them :)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU, Ivana! Yes, I agree, the style of the head is VERY "art deco". And I am growing fonder of it by the minute!

And a PS, please... you have said your rings sit flush, right? Thank you!

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I have a three-sided pave wedding band and it sits completely flush next to it. BTW, have you checked out Michael. B website to see if there are any retailers near by you? Where do you live?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I live out in the country in NW Pennsylvania and there is no MB retailer anywhere near me. It's really a problem, because there are NO jewelry stores ANYWHERE near me except a Kays and a Kings in our rinky-dinky "mall"!!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... the order has been placed!

I decided on the fishtail pave style -- made with 2 pointer ACAs in a width as close to 2mm as can be done.

Head to be in a general 4-prong style similar to the MB, except with the prongs a little thinner and delicate-looking. The smaller, final details are in WF''s hands. They know what I like and I am confident they will create something even more beautiful than I imagine.

It was such a hard decision, but in the end I decided to stick with the fishtail pave. I just love it, and have loved it since I first saw it in Shucash''s ring. John called it a "pave-plus" style, meaning it should be every bit as durable and every-day-wearable as my current shared prong style.

And oh, the 4-prong vs the 6-prong dilemma... I really agonized over that! The 6-prong styles around here are GORGEOUS, and they do seem to make a diamond *look* a little bigger (ALWAYS A PLUS!)... but in the end, I kept coming back to 4 prongs.

Soooo... thanks everyone for all your advice, encouragement, research, suggestions and ideas. I appreciate every word and photo.

I will certainly keep you guys posted. Now I am just so eager and excited to... GITTERDUN!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s exciting! I think you researched and got as much input as you possibly could before you made your decision.

How long will it be before the new bauble arrives?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Lynn. I know your new rings will be fabulous. You''re going to love that 2mm band. When can we expect pictures?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 7:44:06 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Yay Lynn. I know your new rings will be fabulous. You''re going to love that 2mm band. When can we expect pictures?

I don''t know! I think my job is the "next one up" on WFs "to do" list
2.gif
so hopefully it won''t be toooooo long!

HOW MANY SLEEPS????!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY Lynn so happy to hear the decision is made!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

I would also say that I know you said the final head details are up to WF, but BE SURE that you are prepared to be entirely happy with whatever they present you with, because I know when I leave specifics unsaid but I have something in mind and just don't verbalize it, I'm just setting myself up for eventual disappointment. You had a three page thread here on what you want for your head, so if you want thinner and you want this or that or you have an image in your head, SPECIFY IT. Don't just assume that they know what you like or what you need. Sometimes at times it seems like consumers just leave important details up to the vendor, and then are upset when things weren't done the way they saw them in their head even though that was never put down on paper. So just be sure that doesn't happen to you. I just want you to absolutely LOVE these rings esp after all the research you did on them. Nuff said.
2.gif

So how is the camera shopping going? Seriously last nite I was thinking, maybe I need a Nikon CoolPix as well as my existing Canon. I mean..could it really hurt?
11.gif
31.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Good points, Mara -- thank you!

Actually, I have been quite detailed w/ WF regarding the head. The only things that are up in the air are whether or not there will be that decorative "V" insert like the MBs have, or whether or not the head will have a thin horizontal bar between the prongs and whether the prong tips are rounded or claw-like. All other important details (like the general 4-prong style, rings able to sit flush or very close to flush, thinner and a little more delicate than the MB head, diamond "filling up" the head as much as possible, and sitting as low as possible, etc.) have all been carefully spelled out and discussed.

But that was GREAT advice, well worth being reminded of, and appreciate it!

Lynn

PS Still camera shopping. Trying to find the best deal. And OY, the choices... Canon or Nikon???! What''s a girl to do???!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for you Lynn!!! I can''t wait to see pics!!!
36.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 2:29:48 PM
YAY Lynn so happy to hear the decision is made!! Can''t wait to see the pictures!

I would also say that I know you said the final head details are up to WF, but BE SURE that you are prepared to be entirely happy with whatever they present you with, because I know when I leave specifics unsaid but I have something in mind and just don''t verbalize it, I''m just setting myself up for eventual disappointment. You had a three page thread here on what you want for your head, so if you want thinner and you want this or that or you have an image in your head, SPECIFY IT. Don''t just assume that they know what you like or what you need. Sometimes at times it seems like consumers just leave important details up to the vendor, and then are upset when things weren''t done the way they saw them in their head even though that was never put down on paper. So just be sure that doesn''t happen to you. I just want you to absolutely LOVE these rings esp after all the research you did on them. Nuff said.
2.gif

So how is the camera shopping going? Seriously last nite I was thinking, maybe I need a Nikon CoolPix as well as my existing Canon. I mean..could it really hurt?
11.gif
31.gif
Why would that be? Would the Nikon capture something that the Canon doesn''t? I''m still debating between the two - need info!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 4:19:45 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Date: 5/13/2006 2:29:48 PM
YAY Lynn so happy to hear the decision is made!! Can''t wait to see the pictures!

I would also say that I know you said the final head details are up to WF, but BE SURE that you are prepared to be entirely happy with whatever they present you with, because I know when I leave specifics unsaid but I have something in mind and just don''t verbalize it, I''m just setting myself up for eventual disappointment. You had a three page thread here on what you want for your head, so if you want thinner and you want this or that or you have an image in your head, SPECIFY IT. Don''t just assume that they know what you like or what you need. Sometimes at times it seems like consumers just leave important details up to the vendor, and then are upset when things weren''t done the way they saw them in their head even though that was never put down on paper. So just be sure that doesn''t happen to you. I just want you to absolutely LOVE these rings esp after all the research you did on them. Nuff said.
2.gif

11.gif
31.gif
Why would that be? Would the Nikon capture something that the Canon doesn''t? I''m still debating between the two - need info!
Sunkist uses the Nikon for her images and they are SO BEAUTIFUL. I think mine are beautiful too but hers seem different somehow, I can''t get those same type of images with mine. Hers seem super crisp and focused in all aspects of the photo and it captures even more of the personality of the diamond. Diamonds are the hardest subjects to photograph...!! So when I see a camera that does it well (like the Canons and the Nikons)..it''s so awesome!

Or maybe I just should read my manual? hehee.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn''t Alj have a Nikon as well? Her pictures are always great too but she probably has a leg up on us amateurs. Your pictures are far improved though from the last stone pictures. I''ve been waiting for a side by side comparison shot of the 1.60 vs. the new stone. Bet you''d see big differences in those pictures.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 5:06:52 PM
Doesn't Alj have a Nikon as well? Her pictures are always great too but she probably has a leg up on us amateurs. Your pictures are far improved though from the last stone pictures. I've been waiting for a side by side comparison shot of the 1.60 vs. the new stone. Bet you'd see big differences in those pictures.
Well, I cannot say I have a leg up on you folks - your pictures have been SWOONABLE.

I have to say, I'm really partial to Nikon. The pics I get are just amazing, and I think they capture fire a bit better, which is what intrigues me. I think it's because of the D-lighting technology Nikon has.

I'm in the throes of upgrading to a Nikon Coolpix 7900.....it offers a bit closer focal range than the Canon 550, and a few other perks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQWEQ/sr=8-1/qid=1147556543/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0776802-3876865?%5Fencoding=UTF8

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 5/13/2006 5:38:31 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 5/13/2006 5:06:52 PM
Doesn''t Alj have a Nikon as well? Her pictures are always great too but she probably has a leg up on us amateurs. Your pictures are far improved though from the last stone pictures. I''ve been waiting for a side by side comparison shot of the 1.60 vs. the new stone. Bet you''d see big differences in those pictures.
Well, I cannot say I have a leg up on you folks - your pictures have been SWOONABLE.

I have to say, I''m really partial to Nikon. The pics I get are just amazing, and I think they capture fire a bit better, which is what intrigues me. I think it''s because of the D-lighting technology Nikon has.

I''m in the throes of upgrading to a Nikon Coolpix 7900.....it offers a bit closer focal range than the Canon 550, and a few other perks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQWEQ/sr=8-1/qid=1147556543/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0776802-3876865?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Thanks for the info - I really appreciate it. Your pictures are always the bomb!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those of us with crappy digital cameras (I'd tell you what I have, but I'm afraid the horror would kill you)... is there anything we can do (short of buying a new camera) to get a decent pic of a diamond? This one is the best I have managed with mine... and let's face it's pretty sad.

Are daylight pics better? Overcast days? Is there a disposable digital that might be better than mine ( I shouldn't be surprised as our Fuji FinePix A something came free with our new computer... 3 years ago)? Or umm... is there just no hope?

(Sorrry to highjack the thread).

346%3A29299%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3283%3E6%3A8%3E339%3EWSNRCG%3D32336%3B%3B5%3C4499nu0mrj

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 7:45:11 PM
Author: Lynn B
I live out in the country in NW Pennsylvania and there is no MB retailer anywhere near me. It''s really a problem, because there are NO jewelry stores ANYWHERE near me except a Kays and a Kings in our rinky-dinky ''mall''!!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

What are you near? I live in the Main Line, do not know PA too well but we have a home in Tannersville too. Good luck with the new project!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy, the best advice i can give is to put it on the ''macro flower'' setting and see how that works, i think most cameras, even older ones have them (my sony has one and its from ~4 years ago)...but you probably won''t get AS CLOSE that way, but closer than what you have now. another option is to put a loupe against the camera and take the picture that way, lynn has done that with her camera as have i.

in terms of what looks best, i think that diffused light, aka in the shade of a sunny day or similar can get some great shots inside the diamond. good luck!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I live about half way between Erie and Pittsburgh in the Franklin/Oil City/Titusville area... *oil country* and "the valley that changed the world". (Oil was first drilled here.) That''s about it for our claim to fame.

Now, about cameras... I have the CHEAPEST camera here on PS (I''d wager on that!) and it doesn''t even HAVE a "macro" setting -- how pathetic is THAT???!

But I have found that [[[*blush*]]] taping a LOUPE over the lens (or even a magnifying glass) works SOMEWHAT. If I take 100 photos, I might get 1 or 2 good ones. It is ridiculously GRUELING, though, and I am camera shopping now.

I am torn between Mara''s Canon and Sunkists'' NIKON. And I just can''t seem to make a decision!

But I will need something for when the NEW BAUBLE comes!!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 11:27:08 PM
Author: Gypsy

Are daylight pics better? Overcast days? Is there a disposable digital that might be better than mine ( I shouldn''t be surprised as our Fuji FinePix A something came free with our new computer... 3 years ago)?
I don''t know that a disposable digital has a macro setting (????); if not, you likely won''t be able to get close enough with such a camera. You really need a camera that will do macro.

I''ve found that filtered or diffused light pictures really show the details....overcast days are PRIMO for macro. In fact, you''ll find that outdoor photography is best in overcast conditions because the vivid colors don''t wash out. You get brilliant greens, etc.

For the rest, you can achieve this in a number of ways. I''ve been taking many pics with something OVER the flash....either my fingers or a few pieces of paper....anything to lessen the intensity of the flash which washes out the details.

The other thing? Move around.......try different angles and views. That''s how you''ll find the WOW shots!

Sunnygal

Rough_Rock
Lynn B, I have been following this post and was wondering if you had received your re-set yet?
Waiting for pictures!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results