shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh where, oh where....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a ring that came with an EGL cert., but I''m not confident in the MSRP. I''ve been looking for someone to do an appraisal, but I''m finding that all in my area are only independent appraisers, and won''t take the stone out of the setting unless they nickel dime me for resetting the stone.
Is an independent just as good as a GIA appraisal??
I''d like a solid background on the ring in order to sell it.
Are their places out there that I can send it to, and what are the avg. prices??
Thanks!!
confused.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An independent appraisal is a great way to confirm what your EGL cert says. You can send the diamond to the GIA for certification, but I think they will charge to certify it through them, and they will require the stone to be unset anyway. You pretty much will need to have the stone removed from the setting in order to get an accurate view from anyone. Also note that GIA does not do appraisals, they will just re-certify the stone, which will only confirm things such as depth, table, color, carat etc but will not give you any more information such as crown and pav angles and/or large photo closeups of the stone which appraisers can do. You can even get an appraiser who can do BrillianceScope readings to show you how the stone should perform.

Personally, I would keep your EGL cert and have an independent appraiser do a workup on it. They are the best ones to do it, as they are independent meaning impartial and have no vested interest in the stone one way or another vs a jeweler who might have a motive for inflating an appraisal price.

My two cents. Hope that helps some.
2.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
If it's e.g.l u.s.a you should call them and see if they would appraise it in the ring as they are the one's that certified it, I beleive they do appraisals on their own certs.
You might not even have to send it to them
confused.gif

I don't know what their policies are.
Here is their phone number 1-800 4egl-usa
tell me how it worked,I am curios myself.

diamondsman
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The appraisal they supply will be SO HIGH that it will not offer you much information about the "value". The numbers these labs use is something to do with maximum retail in stores that charge maximum prices. A polar opposite of what an Internet shopper would need to understand. As long as you are aware of this disparity, you won't be confused by the numbers.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
It is a USA EGL, and they do give the value of the ring. So I guess it's the specs of the stone I'm after aside from the wt. So I guess if an Independent appraiser can give me those numbers, and concur the value, thats all I'm after.
But I will try and see if the stone can be sent back to the EGL for measurements, since they already have some of the info on it anyhow.
Thanks for the help.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results