shape
carat
color
clarity

Offering a diamond ring to MIL has backfired on me :(

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309611964|2960531 said:
Yep, I was going to say what Pandora said. In my opinion, when diamonds are set in a yellow gold ring, the heads (prongs) that hold the stones should always be white gold or platinum. My original e-ring was made that way, as well as all of the yg rings of everyone I know. You have I color stones with yg prong tips reflecting in them, so naturally they are going to appear more yellow than they are. The jeweler could be asked if there is any way to rhodium plate everything but the shank, but I don't know if that can be done or not. Otherwise, the setting needs to be remade to have white gold at the top, and I think that will solve the problem.

In one way I think it is terrible that your husband told you, but on the other hand, this CAN be fixed one way or another. We had someone recently who set earrings in yg settings with 8 prongs and she was very unhappy until she reset in white gold 4 prongs. It made a world of difference in the appearance of the stones.

Yep, wedding set is YG and my the prongs of my ring are platinum.

I don't think you're over reacting. Sorry your feelings have been hurt. :( I guess you just have to move on from this or offer to have the ring dipped in rhodium.

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry that your gift did not come off as intended. I think you were so nice to have given such a thoughtful gift, and that your MIL shouldn't have said anything like that to your husband.

I remember you said before that you liked white diamonds and yellow gold prongs: "My sister in law's ER is a solitaire in 18ct yellow gold. The center stone is half a carat and in E color. Whenever i look at her diamond, it looks crispy white and wonderful. Not once have i seen any yellow tint being reflected in the stone.
Before she got her ring, i was totally against yellow gold for setting diamonds, for the exact same reason that we're discussing. I tried to convince her to change her mind but she didn't want to hear about it, coz she only wears yellow gold and she wanted all her pieces to look assorted. When my brother went to the jeweller to pick up the ring, i went along and at the moment he opened the box my reaction was: Aaaahhhh... :love: Crispy white, sparkling and not the slightest yellow tint...But maybe the small size of the diamond (0.50 ct) in combination with the E color and the excellent cut, which makes it sparkle so much, make the big difference. I don't know how would the same ring look if the diamond was a 1.50 - 2.00 ct size. " https://www.pricescope.com/communit...llow-gold-prongs-diamond-looks-yellow.151571/ In that same thread there were others who disagreed about the whole yellow-prongs-makes-white-diamonds-look-more-yellow issue (some say yes, some say no).

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for giving me your honest opinions on the matter and for offering ideas about how to deal with the whole issue.
After hearing what everybody had to say, i told DH that i'd like to fix the problem and have the prongs of the setting rhodium plated because i thought that this would make the stones look whiter.
So DH called MIL and told her, well, more or less the truth...That he saw a picture of the ring that i recycled in order to make her ring and that the stones were set in WG and seemed to HIM much whiter, that he shared his thoughts with me and that i told him that indeed YG makes diamonds look a little yellowish but this could be easily fixed and that i'd be willing to do it for her if she wished.
Guess what MIL's answer was..."No, actually i don't want the ring to be altered in any way and i decided that i like it just the way it is. Plus, i recently bought another ring in order to wear them both together as a set" :-o :o
So, this means that there were two pieces of good news that came out of her answer:
1. She wants to keep the ring as it is!
2. She has bought new bling and i can't wait to see it :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
That was a happy outcome 8)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3. She likes the ring you gave her so much that she bought (invested in!) another piece to wear with it!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
natyLad|1309788544|2961479 said:
Thank you all so much for giving me your honest opinions on the matter and for offering ideas about how to deal with the whole issue.
After hearing what everybody had to say, i told DH that i'd like to fix the problem and have the prongs of the setting rhodium plated because i thought that this would make the stones look whiter.
So DH called MIL and told her, well, more or less the truth...That he saw a picture of the ring that i recycled in order to make her ring and that the stones were set in WG and seemed to HIM much whiter, that he shared his thoughts with me and that i told him that indeed YG makes diamonds look a little yellowish but this could be easily fixed and that i'd be willing to do it for her if she wished.
Guess what MIL's answer was..."No, actually i don't want the ring to be altered in any way and i decided that i like it just the way it is. Plus, i recently bought another ring in order to wear them both together as a set" :-o :o
So, this means that there were two pieces of good news that came out of her answer:
1. She wants to keep the ring as it is!
2. She has bought new bling and i can't wait to see it :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
That was a happy outcome 8)
:appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
naty, once again open communication saves the day.

i'm glad it worked out not just for your MIL but that you feel better.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: So glad things worked out - mostly I'm glad you're feeling better about the whole thing - I hope if and when my son gets married he marries someone as nice as you!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you settled it and that you're both happy.
I was sure when I read your initial post that the remark was heard out of context and most probably meant nothing. The whole way you said that your husband repeated it made it sound as if it meant nothing--but since you were worried, I am glad you are reassured.
It is a lovely ring and it was a generous gift and makes a happy outcome to a sad story (her jewelry being stolen). I am sure she will always appreciate your thoughtfulness and you sound like a very nice person, not only giving her the ring but offering to make it so that it is exactly how she likes it, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results