shape
carat
color
clarity

Of Ruby, Sapphire and Padparadscha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst emailing back and forth with Richard Hughes, he tried to tell me to buy what I like and not what the trade says, but it was really difficult for me to accept that. After all, the trade sort of sets the price as well. Imagine to my surprise to read that he feels the trade has lost their way! It is very well explained here:

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm
After reading it, all my mental blocks melted away. I now see colour completely differently. I still am aware of the trade preference but am also open to other very fine colours that might be considered unusual or different.

I was also surprised to see the evolution of how a pad is defined. It seems it is originally more pinkish and not pastel at all. A very interesting read and highly recommended.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link Chrono - I remember reading that one when I did my pad research and found it very informative. I also got the pad crystal photo from that link, I believe.

As much as I dig my pad, I kind of think the hoopla surrounding them is crazy!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting article. Thank you!

Does this mean you are cured of your indecision over the "maybe tsavorite"? That is gorgeous and I want to see more pictures
3.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By the way, do I detect a shot of photoshop?

RSsaturation_blue.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very naughty!

RSsaturation_red.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good article Chrono!! Thanks so much for sharing. I think you made the right decision on purchasing that amazing tsavorite grossular emerald paraiba tourmaline looking garnet.
2.gif
9.gif

I just have one word of advice - never buy a padparadscha because if you think it''s confusing buying a tsavorite, your brain will turn to mush when trying to consider all the "delicate" hues of pink and orange.
23.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 11:46:23 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Very interesting article. Thank you!

Does this mean you are cured of your indecision over the ''maybe tsavorite''? That is gorgeous and I want to see more pictures
3.gif
Yes. I''m cured.
1.gif
It''ll probably take 1 to 2 weeks for it to get to me though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 12:17:19 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Very good article Chrono!! Thanks so much for sharing. I think you made the right decision on purchasing that amazing tsavorite grossular emerald paraiba tourmaline looking garnet.
2.gif
9.gif

I just have one word of advice - never buy a padparadscha because if you think it''s confusing buying a tsavorite, your brain will turn to mush when trying to consider all the ''delicate'' hues of pink and orange.
23.gif
Thanks on the compliment on the tsavorite/garnet.

No, I know all about the confusion on padparadschas; I keep away from those like the plague.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 8:04:14 AM
Author: Chrono

Date: 4/8/2009 12:17:19 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
2.gif
9.gif

I just have one word of advice - never buy a padparadscha because if you think it''s confusing buying a tsavorite, your brain will turn to mush when trying to consider all the ''delicate'' hues of pink and orange.
23.gif
Thanks on the compliment on the tsavorite/garnet.

No, I know all about the confusion on padparadschas; I keep away from those like the plague.
3.gif
You and me both, and let''s not even discuss all the unscrupulous treated padparadschas out there on top of that. At least tsavorite isn''t treated, at least not to my knowledge.

Get your camera working Missy!!
11.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - very interesting!

Actually when I saw the picture of your "mystery" gemstone my initial reaction was "well whatever it is, I''d give it a home". The colour just spoke to me and I''m not sure (price point permitting) that I would have cared what it was.

Strangely, I''ve found over the years that I actually don''t like the colour of the "best" Pads against my skin so it doesn''t matter that the perceived colour is top - it just doesn''t suit me! I do find however that for Rubies and Sapphires my preference is for the best colour (typical!).

I once bought a deeply saturated Kunzite because it was all the rage. I don''t like it, do appreciate it, but it sits in a box! A lesson learned for me. I now buy with my eyes and my heart!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, TL,

Do you know if AGTA or another lab will actually label green garnet as a "tsav"? Is there an agreed upon criteria like there is for pads right now?

I would want to shop with my eyes too, but like what Chrono is going through with the tsav, the fact of the matter is that there are premiums placed on stones that qualify for these titles.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 2:13:51 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Chrono - very interesting!

Actually when I saw the picture of your 'mystery' gemstone my initial reaction was 'well whatever it is, I'd give it a home'. The colour just spoke to me and I'm not sure (price point permitting) that I would have cared what it was.

Strangely, I've found over the years that I actually don't like the colour of the 'best' Pads against my skin so it doesn't matter that the perceived colour is top - it just doesn't suit me! I do find however that for Rubies and Sapphires my preference is for the best colour (typical!).

I once bought a deeply saturated Kunzite because it was all the rage. I don't like it, do appreciate it, but it sits in a box! A lesson learned for me. I now buy with my eyes and my heart!
LD,
I happen to love deeply saturated Kunzites and am more than willing to take it off your hands. I promise to wear it every night.
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 2:25:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Chrono, TL,

Do you know if AGTA or another lab will actually label green garnet as a ''tsav''? Is there an agreed upon criteria like there is for pads right now?

I would want to shop with my eyes too, but like what Chrono is going through with the tsav, the fact of the matter is that there are premiums placed on stones that qualify for these titles.

TGal,
I’m not sure how AGTA does their grading. As far as I know, even the labs are still in conflict with regards to what’s a pad and what’s not. It’s only because AGTA is among the most reputable that people like to get a cert from them stating that the stone is such and such. My understanding is that even in the trade and labs, there is still no consensus as to what’s the cut off point between a tsavorite and a green grossular garnet (discounting the light coloured ones called mint).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 2:44:25 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I also stumbled across this article, which I thought was interesting. It''s not so much about color as it is about naming. The first photo caught my attention and made me laugh:

http://www.colored-stone.com/stories/may08/paraiba.cfm
NO YOU CAN''T BE PARAIBA - That made me laugh. Thanks for that. To this day, I''m not sure what is paraiba and what isn''t. Is it a color, an origin, the copper, all or some of the above? I have several copper bearing tourmalines, and you know what I call them? Copper bearing (or cuprian) tourmalines. There - no confusion whatsoever!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL,
This may help, if you''re still awake by the end of it: http://www.palagems.com/paraiba.htm If you''re nodding off, go to the last two paragraphs. Maybe I haven''t seen the top African cuprian elbaites, but the original Brazilian material is a different beast.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Harriet.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the article, and more important, beautiful eye candy that accompanied it.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results