shape
carat
color
clarity

oecs, antique cushions, loupes

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock
Can anyone suggest good websites to find oecs or antique (or vintage looking) cushions? I have already found old world diamonds and know about GOG's AVR &AVC. Would local b&m stores have any of these cuts, or just if I can find an antique jeweler?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but can you tell the facet pattern from the plot? I like the cushions with a flower pattern (similar to lots of oecs) but it seems those are not too common.

I would like to get a loupe, is there any difference between them other than the magnification? Any specific recommendations?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to also recommend Jewels by Erica Grace for some antique stones and they can help source stones as well. http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/
and I've procured cushions through Good Old Gold and Old World Diamonds, nothing but impeccable service and products.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't tell much from a plot, and most antique stones don't have lab reports anyways. High quality photos are best. A basic loupe is a basic loupe, 20x seems like a good magnification to aim for. I have a 10x but it is not enough to really do much good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to add one thing, though. A nice picture does not mean the diamond is going to be decent with reflecting light, etc. Someone posted a really nicely shaped antique cushion on here the other day at a really great price. I was even tempted because the price was so good. He was finally able to get an ASET on it, and it was basically a dud. So, you can pick a stone that has a pleasing shape, but that doesn't mean it will perform beautifully. That was why Jonathan at Good Old Gold created his August Vintage line, to have both the beautiful antique cut and also a great performing diamond.

So, if I were shopping for a more expensive antique diamond or diamond ring, I would probably have to invest in an ASET scope.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't find the ASET useful, DS. No one really knows how to use it save a couple vendors, and they are hard to interpret. I feel like with these old cuts, with the exception of AVC that have lab grading of cut quality, people need to see the stones and use their eyes. I think I know the one you are talking about with the ASET (can you link?), and I thought the photo showed the same signs of cut issues as the ASET did.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally don't think we should necessarily judge old cuts by the standards of AV's. AVC's and AVR's are expensive and marked up and are cut specifically for the light performance. I think old cuts are beautiful in their own right. They weren't cut by modern cutting tools with all kinds of light performance tools to aid it. Take Haven's stone for example. A LOT of people love it. I think that a ASET would not look anything like an AV stone or other stone we would necessarily endorse based on the ASET alone. But the quirks of the stone, in real life, just add to the character and personality of what is, in the eyes of it's beholder, a gorgeous stone.

THAT SAID I think there are definitely really nice old cuts and dud old cuts and there should be standards for old cut evaluation. And I have seen some SERIOUS duds proposed here because I don't think everyone understands the line between an old cut and what is, ultimately, just a poorly cut stone.

I don't want to sound like Rock Diamond, but I'm just not sure expecting the ASET to be as precise and bright as one of an AV that is cut for light performance is FAIR to old cuts. Because, well... they WEREN'T cut for light performance. And they DO need to be experienced in real life to make a decision, TO AN EXTENT.

But I also don't think REAL Old Cuts are for everyone. There are several people I definitely think are better off with AV's because they wouldn't have appreciate the quirks of a real old cut. And that's okay. But I do think that people should, if they can, experience Nice Real Old Cuts before discarding them as an option.

And having seen both an AVR and good 'real' old cuts, I much prefer the personality and character (and to be honest the PRICE) of real old cuts. I just bought a 1+ carat old cut for a RHR and it has some head obstruction in the pavillion facets. And the ASET shows it. But in real life it doesn't bother me because of the way the rest of the stone comes together. But if I had seen the ASET before seeing the stone in person I doubt I would have bought it-- and I would have missed out. Bought I saw it in person, RIGHT NEXT to another OEC with BETTER empirical light return and cut and I preferred my stone-- obstruction and chip and all (I've since had the chip in the girdle faceted out to make the girdle safer for wearing).

That said we rely on these tools on PS because it IS takes time to educate your eyes to recognize good performance in real life and many of the people on here are making decisions on stones they can only see virtually. So that DOES present a problem. But as Dreamer says... good pictures can help make decisions about virtual stones without the aid of an ASET.

I think we should encourage people to go out and view 'real' old cuts to see what they think-- IF THEY CAN. There are trade offs with either choice. ANd I think making an educated choice (either for or against), as always, is what should be encouraged.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results