shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC vs MRB. Are they different?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve got an old cut bug I think. I thought a substantial diamond would scratch the bling itch but I feel pretty meh about everything... my current setting... all my ideas to reset. And now I’m wondering if it’s even worth it to throw more money at something I’m not absolutely over the moon about.

I know that they’re different cuts entirely but are they different enough to warrant starting over?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I realized my title makes no sense. Of course they’re different. My question is more so are they different enough?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I wanted a MRB, then I saw another PS’ers OEC, and that was it. I was totally smitten. I’d decided to go to OWD in NY with @missy and visit Whiteflash later in the year. Once I was there, I just knew an OEC was for me, and the rest is history.

I’m certainly not dissing MRB’s because they’re lovely too, I recently met @Tekate and saw her lovely Ever, it’s gorgeous, but Bella is IT for me.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cuts are different. I’m guessing most people would prefer an antique style cut over an MRB but all they see are MRBs. I’m not sure why the industry hasn’t started offering antique style cuts, maybe it’s because MRBs are splintery, the cut can mask inclusions, and you can achieve the same diameter for lower carat weight. Yes, preferring the high crowns and larger facets/flashes of light of antique cut stones is rational and real.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I thought I wanted a MRB, then I saw another PS’ers OEC, and that was it. I was totally smitten. I’d decided to go to OWD in NY with @missy and visit Whiteflash later in the year. Once I was there, I just knew an OEC was for me, and the rest is history.

I’m certainly not dissing MRB’s because they’re lovely too, I recently met @Tekate and saw her lovely Ever, it’s gorgeous, but Bella is IT for me.

I thought MRBs were my jam. I mean I have a few so I thought I had it figured out... But I keep looking at toi et moi rings with OECs.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
The cuts are different. I’m guessing most people would prefer an antique style cut over an MRB but all they see are MRBs. I’m not sure why the industry hasn’t started offering antique style cuts, maybe it’s because MRBs are splintery, the cut can mask inclusions, and you can achieve the same diameter for lower carat weight. Yes, preferring the high crowns and larger facets/flashes of light of antique cut stones is rational and real.

I may start over in my search for the perfect ring. I wasn’t sure if I’d truly appreciate the difference given they’re both round diamonds but I’m glad no one has yet to tell me I’m overthinking this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very different. You should try to see as many in person as possible and see which you prefer. I love diamonds in general but OECs and OMCs make my heart go pitter patter in a way no MRB ever has. No right or wrong. Comes down to personal preference.

I may start over in my search for the perfect ring. I wasn’t sure if I’d truly appreciate the difference given they’re both round diamonds but I’m glad no one has yet to tell me I’m overthinking this.

You will appreciate the difference for sure. Just have to see enough of them to figure out which makes your heart sing the most.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Very different. You should try to see as many in person as possible and see which you prefer. I love diamonds in general but OECs and OMCs make my heart go pitter patter in a way no MRB ever has. No right or wrong. Comes down to personal preference.

You will appreciate the difference for sure. Just have to see enough of them to figure out which makes your heart sing the most.

Long ago I owned a 1.8 ct OEC and while I loved it, I was worried it was too different. This was pre-PS. I ended up selling it and getting my 1.3 K colored MRB. To this day I regret selling. If I had kept I would probably have the toi et moi ring of my dreams.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You are not overthinking. The closest I’ve come to the beauty of my antique Transitional cut diamond is my superideal from Crafted By Infinity. My superideal is the pinnacle of MRBs and it still is out rocked by my antiques, some of which are truly wonky. I think I prefer seeing chunks of colored fire over splinters. The One thing my superideal does better than my antiques is 3D Jedi style lightplay, where the internal flash of brilliant light seems to pause inside the stone before leaving it. I can’t describe it better but the superideal does this best and in slivers, it comes alive in certain light. Otherwise I like the proportions and broad facets which project “bigger light and color” of antique cuts better.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL has an OEC, and every time we visit I am always enamored with her stone. Both her and her husband are deaf, so they also sign and the thing is a complete sparkle bomb as her hands are going 100mph.

My wife has a BGD stone and it's gorgeous, but that OEC is my weakness. In fact, we just saw them over the holidays and I mentioned something about how beautiful it was again. She took it off and allowed me to view it up close. My wife isn't as drawn to the big chunky facets like I am.

Each stone is beautiful in their own way, but I can see why it pushes your buttons.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
You are not overthinking. The closest I’ve come to the beauty of my antique Transitional cut diamond is my superideal from Crafted By Infinity. My superideal is the pinnacle of MRBs and it still is out rocked by my antiques, some of which are truly wonky. I think I prefer seeing chunks of colored fire over splinters. The One thing my superideal does better than my antiques is 3D Jedi style lightplay, where the internal flash of brilliant light seems to pause inside the stone before leaving it. I can’t describe it better but the superideal does this best and in slivers, it comes alive in certain light. Otherwise I like the proportions and broad facets which project “bigger light and color” of antique cuts better.

Thank you. If I had asked my husband I think he’d say I’m crazy for putting so much effort/ time/ money into this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. If I had asked my husband I think he’d say I’m crazy for putting so much effort/ time/ money into this.

If you show him photos side by side I don't think he would think you are crazy. They are very different and most people prefer one over the other. Not interchangeable IOW.

Long ago I owned a 1.8 ct OEC and while I loved it, I was worried it was too different. This was pre-PS. I ended up selling it and getting my 1.3 K colored MRB. To this day I regret selling. If I had kept I would probably have the toi et moi ring of my dreams.

Oh I'm sorry but don't give up because it is never too late and you can still have that toi et moi ring of your dreams one day!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some threads fyi @winnietucker that perhaps you will find helpful.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @missy & @sledge for your input. I’m going to go look at those threads and search for new ones/ look at my fave PS toi et moi ring a few times. I really appreciate how supportive this community is. I think it’d be far less supportive if I tried to sort through these feelings with my family or friends.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I have always only loved antique cuts. I have never liked the traditional brilliant cut. I dont know why, I'm not sure how to put it into words, it's something about the chunky facets and the pastel colors and the way it sparkles.

I think for me the old cuts feel very "comfortable" like "home" where the brilliant cuts seem too precise and cold to me. The brilliants feel like a cold clean laser laboratory to me, and the OEC feel like history, warm and not exactly perfect. My OEB is so interesting. I love seeing it change depending on the angle and it's always different because it's not perfect and precise.

That said, I dont know that anyone who looks at my diamond even notices it's faceted differently, they look at it and see a sparkly diamond. No one has looked closely enough at it, and even if they were, I dont believe most people are as "into" jewelry as the people here are, so even if they're looking closely at it, I really don't think other people would say "Wow, this is an old cut, huh?" LOL

I think it comes down to personal preference. For me personally yes, there is a huge difference between the two, and it's an emotional feeling as well as an aesthetic.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just noticed that you listed your ring for sale. I guess you already decided. The heart wants what the heart wants. Have you considered trading your stone in instead of selling it? It might be a quicker and less costly route. I suggest this bc my jeweler would gladly take my mrb as a trade for an oec Bc he is of the opinion that mrb are superior and has told me he can procure me an oec for a lot less, thus making it worth his while. Since I have that open offer, I have to admit that I prefer mrb or i would have taken him up and gotten a 3 carat plus already.
Also. Your mrb is yellow. Are you sure it’s not the color that is making you feel meh? Please make sure before making a costly mistake.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I too was a MRB gal myself when I first got engaged 15 years ago but that was because I was not aware of antique cuts. When I upgraded I thought I had wanted an OEC but went with an antique moval which I never expected to be my jam. I am in love with my ring and have received so many wonderful compliments.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bigger the diamond the more obvious the difference. My sweet spot for old cuts is 5 ct. I'll never get there unless I consolidate but I'm a hoarder so... I need to win lotto.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@Inked That was one of my concerns. At the end of the day they’d both be round and I’d still feel meh.

@nala I’m not so worried about color. In certain lighting (even in the solitaire) she’s the perfect shade of light yellow. But I did include in my listing that I’m willing to trade. I just don’t know where else to go for a trade. My local jeweler is very expensive so I think that’d end up being a worse deal for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bigger the diamond the more obvious the difference. My sweet spot for old cuts is 5 ct. I'll never get there unless I consolidate but I'm a hoarder so... I need to win lotto.

So true and girl you gotta have goals. Those are worthy goals indeed. You and I like them big. :love:

satisfied.gif

EC8

Shiny_Rock
IMHO, VERY different...Never ever liked MRBs, thought it was the shape till I “found” old cuts; the challenge of course is finding well cut ones, bit more of an effort than with MRBs...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
They handle light very differently, and the differences become more obvious the larger the diamond. To my eyes, most well cut MRBs look essentially the same (though there are subtleties and nuance of course). Each old cut is wildly different, and that is part of why I love them.

I have owned many many MRBs and many many OEC/OMBs. After about 5 years of serial upgrading and trading and hemming and hawing, my "keeper" was an early ideal cut, which combined the precision cutting of an MRB with the chunkier facets of an old cut. It is basically a bigger, bolder, slightly less "perfect" version of an MRB and I love it in a way I didn't love the (very similar size) MRB I owned previously. I have owned it for 7 years now and it is still my baby. She is 1.89ct K/L, SI1-2 (no lab report). This was considered a large diamond when I bought it! Now it is a very typical size on PS.

I think part of the reason I loved it was because I spent a year hunting for it on ebay (this was back when you could still find interesting old cuts there) and because it came in an amazing setting -- the original faux octagonal bezel on PS I believe lol. I'm not sure I would have loved it as much had I bought it loose? Not sure.

I recently reset my diamond into a three stone and I love it very very much (Sorry, no thread yet, hoping to have time for photos soon!). I paired her with .30 ct MRBs with very similar proportions, and they blend very well. Any faceting differences are washed ot by the difference in size between the diamonds. My diamond handles light much differently in this open basket setting than it did in the bezel. I like how it looks both ways. The bezel increased the contrast patterning and the open setting makes the patterning more subtle and pastel-ly. I notice a lot more white flash and fire in this open setting. So if you don't like your current diamond now but loved it before, it is not your imagination. Settings can make a big difference.

That said, I dont know that anyone who looks at my diamond even notices it's faceted differently...

I agree, I have never had anyone notice that the cut of my old cuts are different. They just say "Wow! So big and sparkly!" lol

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong... I love love LOVE my ring. However, if given the opportunity to trade for an OEC of the same size (or close), I'd do it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately for me, my upgrade program is with Diamonds Direct, and they just don't deal in old cuts. BOO! :(

Their is a really old jeweler in downtown that has a pretty fab selection of old cuts, but they are pretty dang expensive.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got an old cut bug I think. I thought a substantial diamond would scratch the bling itch but I feel pretty meh about everything... my current setting... all my ideas to reset. And now I’m wondering if it’s even worth it to throw more money at something I’m not absolutely over the moon about.

I know that they’re different cuts entirely but are they different enough to warrant starting over?

It sounds to me like you need to stop and not make any buying decisions for a while. Look around, see as many diamonds as you can in person, try on as many rings as you can, look at videos online in a variety of lighting conditions, and evaluate what you want. Give it an absolute minimum of four months before making any decisions, but preferably six months to a year. If you can go to a jewelry show like intergem with antique jewelers or make it to NYC, SF, or LA or anywhere with a lot of jewelry stores in close proximity where you can try on a bunch of things, do so. Take lots of pictures and don't make any decisions until you've thought about it and wanted the same thing for a while (unless you have enough money to keep changing your ring - which some people do!). You've only been on PS a year and I think you're caught up in the buzz and excitement of it, and need to really slow down and consider before making any moves (again, unless you have a lot of money to potentially waste on things you end up not liking).

I definitely prefer the chunkier faceting of antique cuts - I always thought I didn't like diamonds, but I just hadn't seen antique white diamonds or fancy color diamonds, and it turns out those are the things I like in diamonds, though I'm still primarily a colored gems person.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So true and girl you gotta have goals. Those are worthy goals indeed. You and I like them big. :love:

satisfied.gif

Ermagherd :oops: it's not the size of the waves but the motion of the ocean. :mrgreen:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@EC8 It’s your ring & another I found on Google that I always go back to when I question if I should have gone old cut.

@dreamer_dachsie Your stone in both settings is gorgeous! The vintage style settings with old cut diamonds just feel so romantic. There’s actually a ring similar to your original setting that I’m stalking on eBay.

@distracts This is very solid advice. I may do because there are so many upgrades a person can do before driving their husband insane. Part of this need to figure it out ASAP is being fueled by wanting to have my life in order ASAP but I realize this isn’t one of those major things that needs to get resolved now.

Reactions: EC8

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts This is very solid advice. I may do because there are so many upgrades a person can do before driving their husband insane. Part of this need to figure it out ASAP is being fueled by wanting to have my life in order ASAP but I realize this isn’t one of those major things that needs to get resolved now.

I am definitely of the "slow and steady" approach when it comes to acquiring. I took several years off PS before this year to save up and kind of firm up in my mind what I want my collection to look like before coming back. You also may want to think about if you are really a "one ring" kind of person or if you would be happier with several. I am NOT a one ring person - if I consolidated my collection, I could have an absolutely huge ridiculous ring, but that would make me far less happy than multiple less-expensive rings. That you have a yellow diamond three-stone, to solitaire, to thinking of an OEC moi-et-toi - those are all very different styles, and I suspect you may not actually be happy with just one ring if what you like is so different. It's worth taking more time to think - is what you want to get rid of this diamond, or is what you want actually to get another ring? Those are two different things, and should be considered separately.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@distracts I’ve def considered multiple rings but I flip flop on that one. I’ve had a small variety in the past but always go back to whatever my faves are. I’m the same way with everything else as well. I have a lot of clothing but I usually reach for the same handful of shirts... all of which are basically the same shirt too.

I’m not opposed to sitting on this ring and waiting for a nice diamond pair of OECs to come around. I’m just worried once we have kids all my fun money will go out the window. Of course we could end up not being able to have kids and then I freaked out over nothing too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not opposed to sitting on this ring and waiting for a nice diamond pair of OECs to come around. I’m just worried once we have kids all my fun money will go out the window. Of course we could end up not being able to have kids and then I freaked out over nothing too.

hahaha... I sure do understand that... I'm at the same stage now and that has definitely entered into my consideration with what I buy and what I want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results