shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC vs Modern Cuts: value difference?

should i be here

Shiny_Rock
I know it's a slightly different process acquiring OECs, but how does the "value" of an OEC compare to a modern round brilliant? I realize that there are lots of other factors at play (warmer colors, OEC cut differences, etc.) but which gets more bang for the buck? I also understand that OECs show up smaller for their weight than a comparable MRB, so I guess a price-per-carat comparison is not even that helpful.

I don't think I've seen an OEC in person, but they're sooo gorgeous in PS photos! If anyone knows where I can ogle them in NYC, suggestions welcome.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I've read on here that the demand for OECs has gone up while the supply has decreased, due to lots of the higher colored ones being recut into MRBs. It seems there are still some good values to be found, though!

In NYC, you have access to Old World Diamonds (owned by a gentleman named Adam who gets rave reviews on here). http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
should i be here|1473434411|4074590 said:
I know it's a slightly different process acquiring OECs, but how does the "value" of an OEC compare to a modern round brilliant? I realize that there are lots of other factors at play (warmer colors, OEC cut differences, etc.) but which gets more bang for the buck? I also understand that OECs show up smaller for their weight than a comparable MRB, so I guess a price-per-carat comparison is not even that helpful.

I don't think I've seen an OEC in person, but they're sooo gorgeous in PS photos! If anyone knows where I can ogle them in NYC, suggestions welcome.

Is that true? That OECs show smaller than MRBs? Like, noticeably to the naked eye/non-expert?

I am not an expert but it is my understanding that OECs are considered subpar to some.

I am drawn to OECs because 1. they are still round, which I prefer, but so different. 2. They kind of seem like snowflakes. Or flowers. They are so pretty. 3. The idea of something old is charming and sweet to me. 4. YOLO. Diamonds shouldn't really be viewed as an investment anyways (in my mind) - so you should get what you want. I was married once before and I had a high quality MRB. It is now a pretty necklace. In part, because I could never sell it for near what my ex paid for it.

Resale on MRBs - you almost never get what you paid for it. (Maybe if you hold onto it for 20-50 years it can be a money maker?)

I am curious as to what others here say about resale of OECs. (Since you clearly buy it used and it's already an antique - resale may be much better than with an MRB? Except that you have a smaller market for them overall. Less interest/niche market?)

I am going to Old World Diamonds next week while I am in NYC. They seem to come highly recommended here.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nowadays, OEC diamonds trade off the round list- as opposed to all other shapes which trade off the "fancy shape" list. Based on these lists, used heavily by the trade, round ( and OEC) are the most costly shapes.

Spread- it's not possible to draw any consistent conclusions on this aspect as different stones will spread differently based on exactly how they are cut.
Resale- sucks for all shapes if a consumer is the one doing the selling.

IN general, OEC's are considered desirable today. Given that years ago, this was not the case, many of the best, important stones on the market were re-cut to RBC's, which at the time were fetching much higher prices than antique stones.
In my opinion, this is why you'll find a far higher percentage of "off color" antique stones which still exist on the market- it just made less sense to re-cut them

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As far as face up value on an OEC, I don't think it's true that they're more likely to face up smaller. Just like MRBs, some face up smaller/larger at the same ct weight depending on cut. I have a 3.96 OEC that faces up at 10.3-10.5mm. From researching online, I found a well-cut 4ct MRB should show up 10.2-10.4mm.

As for pricing, you can't really compare OEC/MRB cuts. It seems to me like it's comparing apples and oranges. For someone who wants a MRB, there are parameters and HCA to source stones that are the best cuts and compare. An ideal cut stone of the same ct weight as a poor cut stone is going to cost thousands and thousands more. For OECs, from what I've seen, it seems like symmetry, how perfectly round it is, size of culet...those aspects of the cut that can be seen are affecting value because, unlike MRBs, there's no formulaic assessment of cut.

Sure, you can find some great values for size on OECs, but OECs are typically found on the secondhand market. MRBs on the secondhand market are cheaper than "new", too (even though ALL diamonds are millions of years old and pass through innumerable hands before they get to you!). And not matter what you buy, if you don't hold on to it for decades, you won't be able to sell it for near what you paid for it. Basically, value is subjective, and whether or not you get good "bang for your buck" depends on what YOU value.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2c.

I went from 8.75mm F MRB to 9.15ish K OEC. I thought I would not notice the size difference much. Increase is minor. 0.4mm. HOWEVER, the OEC looked much bigger to my eyes. I think that is because the bigger facets of the OEC that light up all over the stone trick my eye into thinking it's bigger than it actually is. I know I have an exceptionally well cut OEC with a very strong floral pattern and very crisp facets. So I think each particular OEC will vary.

Also, how do you define value? You an order up an ideal cut MRB in the color and clarity of your choice. OECs on the other hand, even if you had all the money in the world, you may not be able to find a well cut 4 carat H. KWIM? And your preference on the type of OEC may be different from someone else's. They might love it but you might not. So to find something in the color and size and cut YOU want in an OEC may be nearly impossible. Nevermind how much it would cost if you actually found one. How "valuable" is that to you?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old cuts in general used to cost less than modern cuts but now given their popularity in the last few years if anything for a really nice one or a rarer white on expect to pay as much if not more than a modern cut round. As to spread, transitionals (in between an OEC and a modern round brilliant) can have a bigger/larger spread for your buck, OECs are generally deeper and have taller crowns so yes they often face up smaller mm wise than a modern round brilliant.

I personally think old cuts are more palatable in mid to lower colours than modern cuts so if you can stand Js down to Ls or even lower, that is the factor that will buy you more value for money for an old cut than a modern one. If you go to OWD ask Adam to pull out both for you if he has a modern RB sitting around so you can compare what you are looking at.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
should i be here|1473434411|4074590 said:

There is a lot of good information in the thread. I will encourage you to find some in person. NYC will have more than a few places that carry OEC's. Take an afternoon, or two, or three and check them out. You may find that the 'bang for the buck' is a secondary consideration if you love the way they look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results