shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Ring for 50th Wedding Anniversary

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We'll be celebrating our 5oth anniversary in Oct., and I am being given the ring of my choice(and dreams) as a gift from my sweet husband. So I have some time to look and choose. I'ved read TONS of posts on this board, and tried to absorbe as much as I can. Realizing that an old stone can't be bought by the numbers like a modern cut, I hope to find a local jeweler to assist me in the search.

However, I've had email contact with a vendor and have a video of a stone. It's not the same as seeing in person, but is a start. If you were in my position, how would you search? Would you buy the stone first and then find a mounting? One good thing about the stone is the GIA report. One not so good thing about the stone is the color grade: "L". The vendor says the stone is very bright and if I saw it I would say "WOW". My ering is EX cut GIA "I", and I think it almost colorless, so I'm not too color sensitive.

I probably haven't given you enough info for you to assist me, but I don't want to reveal too much either in case I get serious about the stone. Perhaps I just need a few enable-ers. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
First of all, Congrats on 50 years together!

I'd buy the stone first. It's much easier to find a mounting to fit a stone than vice versa.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
That's a wonderful milestone. I have an L OEC and I love the color. It's cheerful like late afternoon sun. I wouldn't trade it for a whiter stone. I would find your stone then work on the setting. www.singlestone.com would be a good site to look at for setting ideas though I must caution the pictures do no justice. I picked out my setting in person and the pics can give an idea but can't really compare so you should also try styles at a local jeweler. Good luck!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Get the stone first; you'll save yourself a ton of heartburn.
And congrats on the 50 years. My parents will hit it in two years.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input. I have a photo of the stone to show you. It's a 1.97 L VS1 OEC. What do you think? He said it faced up very white, and had no dead areas in the center.

OWA26853.jpg

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely find the stone first, then have it set.

BTW, that stone looks pretty. Personally, I'm fine with the L color too. Especially since it's a GIA L. They are the most conservative.

Can you have the stone shipped to you so you can view it in person? Then you can be sure you love it.

Anne

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
Awesome! The stone looks amazing. I had an L OEC and absolutely loved it! I now have and L antique cushion and absolutely love it as well. Agree with the other posters...get the stone first and then the setting. How exciting for you!

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your responses. I am going to contact a jeweler next. When we work out the timing, I'll have the stone shipped for inspection. It sounds good, and the photos looks encouraging. The specs I know: Table is 46%, and Depth is 63.6%.

Unicorn64, your OMC is gorgeous!!! Have you chosen a mounting?
Kismet, I LOVE your OMC ring. It is beautiful!!

I'm a little unsure of the color, so it's encouraging to read the posts from "L" owners and how you love the color.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the stone looks great! I prefer stones in the L and lower for OEC and cushions.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I like low colours in old stones. A lot!

But under no circumstances do they look colourless to me, in any light.

You have to like the colour and buy this stone because of the colour, not despite it.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the stone!!! :D I took it to an appraisor today, and he was soooo complimentary. His first remark was "It's a very brilliant stone", and he also said concerning the clarity:"it doesn't get any better than this for an old cut. It's definitely a keeper." I took it outside to check out the pryotechnics display, and under the shade of a birch tree, it was absolutely breath-taking. I've never seen so many colorful facets smiling back at me. :loopy:

I bought the stone from Old World Diamonds, and Adam was very helpful. I will select a mounting from a local jeweler, and once mounted it will go in the safe deposit box until our mid-October anniversary celebration. I hope to be able to post some photos soon, but it's going to be hard since I don't have a stone holder. The photo I posted earlier in this thread just doesn't do justice to it.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: OEC Ring for 50th Wedding Anniversary--Photos Added

I took a few shots of the stone. Not my best photo efforts, but wanted to show you my stone. It's a 1.97 L, VS1. The room light enhances the color. It faces up almost the same color as my RB I.

dscn3352.jpg

dscn3351.jpg

dscn3350.jpg

dscn3349.jpg

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I took some better photos today of the stone and posted them under Show Me the Bling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results