shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC hunt begins, how to narrow choices? Need help with guidelines.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
This is not an Si1 plot that scares me (some do!!). Would something like this be safe to bezel? (cuz I'm just a bezel gal)
20190826_185033.png

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes that is so pretty...but I have my heart set on an oec! Alex sent me another message, like he'd sell for the right offer on the 3.51Nsi1. He wants 35k for both, but the other one is 3.61NVS. Whats a good offer on the 3.51?
I love the OWD 3.07, Adam says looks like the examples I sent him irl. Says it has just a little warmth, no brown. But is it too asymmetrical for a bezel?
He can't show me the 2.65 cuz its BEEN MISSING for MONTHS! (holy cow).
Erica doesn't have anything right now.
So this is where I'm at. :think:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is so pretty...but I have my heart set on an oec! Alex sent me another message, like he'd sell for the right offer on the 3.51Nsi1. He wants 35k for both, but the other one is 3.61NVS. Whats a good offer on the 3.51?
I love the OWD 3.07, Adam says looks like the examples I sent him irl. Says it has just a little warmth, no brown. But is it too asymmetrical for a bezel?
He can't show me the 2.65 cuz its BEEN MISSING for MONTHS! (holy cow).
Erica doesn't have anything right now.
So this is where I'm at. :think:
Before you make an offer make sure you know his return policy but oh I don’t know $18k? Considering M color GIA MRB going rate on JA is around $17500 -$19k ‍♀️ I know they are completely different but getting some baseline numbers maybe?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also the nice thing about bezels is it could make a wonky cut look symmetrical. The jeweler will make it look round just make sure it’s communicated that you want it to be round and not the silhouette of the wonkiness to be shown.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on this? Close up and profile view of one I'm considering. I really like it.
20190827_162500.jpg
It looks like everything you've said you want and is gorgeous.. I'd jump on it

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So I'm not going for the stone from Alex, as gorgeous as it is. Its more expensive then I'm comfortable with and its actually bigger than I want. My current moissy is 10mm and its too big for me. So I'm back to talking with Adam on the 3.07 ct, 8.8 ish stone. I'm a little concerned that its EGL certified, not GIA. Adam says it is a solid VS2, but EGL N, (possibly O/P by GIA.) The warmth doesn't bother me, I like it. But why are some of their stones GIA and some EGL? It gives me pause, anyone have thoughts? Is it rude to ask for stone to be GIA certed?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm not going for the stone from Alex, as gorgeous as it is. Its more expensive then I'm comfortable with and its actually bigger than I want. My current moissy is 10mm and its too big for me. So I'm back to talking with Adam on the 3.07 ct, 8.8 ish stone. I'm a little concerned that its EGL certified, not GIA. Adam says it is a solid VS2, but EGL N, (possibly O/P by GIA.) The warmth doesn't bother me, I like it. But why are some of their stones GIA and some EGL? It gives me pause, anyone have thoughts? Is it rude to ask for stone to be GIA certed?
Not rude at all, especially if you offer to pay for it ($130 I think?)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My husband is questioning my sanity, RE: buying a diamond "online". I'm trying to explain that oec's are not at the local shops! Back in the day we went from jewelery store to jewelry store for my first diamond. (But that was the 90's folks!) How do I convince him it's ok to deal with OWD or Parks Fine group? I told him about PS and happy customers here. He says "what if it comes and has a crack or something? And they've got your money". Ugh!

budgetful

Rough_Rock
My husband is questioning my sanity, RE: buying a diamond "online". I'm trying to explain that oec's are not at the local shops! Back in the day we went from jewelery store to jewelry store for my first diamond. (But that was the 90's folks!) How do I convince him it's ok to deal with OWD or Parks Fine group? I told him about PS and happy customers here. He says "what if it comes and has a crack or something? And they've got your money". Ugh!

Tell him they are very reputable vendors, and have good return policy ;)2 I can't find Parks Fine Group's return policy online but this one is directly from OWD's website:

"Our 10 day return policy gives you plenty of time to review your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you may return any diamond in its original condition within 10 days of the day you received it for a full refund (not including shipping costs or credit card fees) or for an exchange. It's that easy. We want you to be 100% satisfied with your diamond."

Send Alex a message and ask him about his return policy, I'm 100% sure he will allow returns even for change of mind.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Alex allows 7 days.
Hubby is old school, wants to shake the hand and make eye contact . Like that makes the purchase more legit? :doh:
I told him stones come with 3rd party certs and stones have id inscriptions.

He's mulling it over. He's a muller.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alex allows 7 days.
Hubby is old school, wants to shake the hand and make eye contact . Like that makes the purchase more legit? :doh:
I told him stones come with 3rd party certs and stones have id inscriptions.

He's mulling it over. He's a muller.
NYC trip!!! Go shake hands with Adam (or Alex) in person! I haven’t purchased from Alex but Adam has always been amazing to deal with and very flexible with returns and my ridiculous indecision.

I hope you find your dream stone!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Tell him that it’s a risk you want to take, and if they disappear with your money you will give up on the diamond hunt ie it won’t cost him double

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I really should! I was born in NY state but have never gotten to NYC! Just JFK. Pitiful!
I found a local jewelry appraiser who could verify the stone vs cert. But hubby has serios reservations about sending money to "some random guy" on the internet. Gotta figure out how to convince him this is how it is done now. (&this from a guy who freely uses Amazon and other on line stores?!)

Reactions: AV_

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
If only Amazon sold PS quality diamonds....

Sssshhhhhhhh oh heck, no. (zips mouth shut)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Lol, and restrict yourself to the Prime eligible ones. ....:-o

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any thoughts on this? Close up and profile view of one I'm considering. I really like it.
20190827_162500.jpg

This is a nicely cut classic OEC in my opinion. Not much kozibe. It is not the older style "bubbly" type we were talking about earlier. You need a video or see it in person to determine whether the central facets are lazy or not <-- this is the biggest issue with this make IMO. This one has a very small table, which can help with this problem (which derives in part from the very very very short lower halves on this make). But in the top right photo it looks to me like most of the pavilion mains are dark and only three are lit up. This could just be from camera obstruction and it will clear up when in motion or viewed IRL, but again, you need video or IRL viewing to know for sure.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie. I wish I knew all the nuances of these stones like you do! I've seen this stone in action, & I think its really beautiful. But its pricey.
I am looking at another stone, but worry what effect a 69% total depth has? Loss of brilliance? I don't know. (?)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am not surprised that a light yellow old cut comes with a not/GIA report. Old cuts with near 40 & 40 crown & pavilion angles do work. I tend to second guess pictures allot, especially the darkness, so I-d want to see this one.

If you do bring in or visit the stone, see what it looks like with the pavilion entirely sunk (betweentwo fingers) as if in a bezel.

2c

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I'm enjoying reading this thread. I have no knowledge in this area! Many of the diamonds you are showing here are beautiful.

I would express a friendly note of caution - please be really careful that although you are so enthusiastic and moving forward with this very quickly, you do not compromise on your original requirements. I think it can be really easy to be swept away with these amazing vendors and the stones that they already have in stock. However, I can tell from what @dreamer_dachsie is saying that the stones - whilst beautiful - may not actually be meeting your original criteria. Considering the amount of money you are spending it would be really a shame to compromise and end up getting a stone that doesn't actually have the specifications you wanted in the first place. I know you are looking for a unicorn, but they clearly do exist, and I'm sure they're worth waiting for.

As for your husband, a few ideas - he could perhaps speak to your chosen vendor on the phone. You could highlight that they do actually have an in person presence rather than just an online one. Additionally, I presume in America you have a selection of verification companies - I mean I know companies can end up on them even if they turn out to be dodgy, but I suspect that's rare. In England we have Companies House and legitimate companies have to be registered. You can see their yearly financial information for free. It's a reassuring piece of information. As he's a muller :lol: hopefully he'll mull correctly!

Also perhaps buy with a credit card. That way when the stone arrives cracked in two (cough cough cough) you're both protected. It'll be a little more expensive but that might help, too.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Lykame that's a good point. If I can show him seller has a listed phone #, you can get them on the phone, & a physical business address , that might make it seem less random and odd to my husband.

We spent so much time going to look at diamonds the first time! I think that's what he was anticipating. My heart sunk when he said, "are you seriously considering sending money to some random guy ?"
:roll:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@Lykame that's a good point. If I can show him seller has a listed phone #, you can get them on the phone, & a physical business address , that might make it seem less random and odd to my husband.

We spent so much time going to look at diamonds the first time! I think that's what he was anticipating. My heart sunk when he said, "are you seriously considering sending money to some random guy ?"

Sounds like my husband.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband was very sceptical about the whole online buying thing, (he’s an accountant) until we did, and it all went smoothly. Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith, although IMVHO, there’s no risk buying from Adam at OWD.

Another PSer I know had Adam send her 2 diamonds to look at before making her choice, and it all went really smoothly.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I think I might have inadvertantly offended Adam. Asked about possibly getting an EGL stone certed by GIA( at my expense), and he has not responded. ..was very responsive before. ...:(2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
If memory serves, he has agreed to that before for another PSer. He’s probably just superbusy.

Let us know his response... I had considered sending Edwina to him to match. Would be interested to know your experience.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie. I wish I knew all the nuances of these stones like you do! I've seen this stone in action, & I think its really beautiful. But its pricey.
I am looking at another stone, but worry what effect a 69% total depth has? Loss of brilliance? I don't know. (?)

You can't evaluate old cuts by the numbers except in the most extreme cases. You need pictures, video, and ideally, in person viewing.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame .
I’ve been silently following this thread but just have to say... was he looking forward to diamond shopping with you? Could he feel left out?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results