shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC adventures and a trip to LA

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! Are you happy with it?

I totally and utterly love it. The photos and videos really didn’t do it justice. In real life it’s so much more amazing. Jacob’s workmanship is perfection. I’ve just left a bunch of little OECs with him for cluster earrings because he did such an incredible job on the ring.

For those who like specs, the centre stone is 2.25ct, K colour, SI2. It’s incredibly white face up - I see no tint at all - and it’s eye clean (twining wisps which do not cloud the sparkle). The side stones are 0.7ct each, also K, SI1 and VS2 also eye clean.

“Compromise” on colour and clarity meant this was huge bang for buck. It would have cost me double in the U.K. - without GIA certs because you just don’t get them in England.

Am so happy with it.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very beautiful!! Amazing presence on you too!! Wall to wall coverage :lol:
I also love the old cut band with it, not that you need it but it is a very nice combo. I think the three stone can be a standalone or with the gold band is so lovely too!! Enjoy!!

Bijouteried

Shiny_Rock
So I am starting a thread on this project because it’s a bit more of an adventure than my usual ones.

For several years now I’ve been wanting to get an OEC three stone. My best friend’s mother has one and every time I see her I drag it off her finger to try on and drool. However where I live old cuts don’t exist. This country is new, the jewellery is new, there is really no concept of “antique” in diamonds here (although there is a long and wonderful history in pearls which I have yet to delve into).

I’ve looked at some old cuts when back in the U.K. but they are so prohibitively expensive, and also extremely hard to come by (so many have been recut).

So that left the US.

I’m an avid searcher of Instagram when it comes to gems and jewellery but never managed to stumble across the right combination of specs and price. Until a few weeks ago.

A jeweller in the US that I follow had posted an OEC on his Instagram page and, more out of curiosity than anything, I asked for the price. It was a lot more reasonable than I thought. Then, also just on the off chance, I joked “I don’t suppose you’ve got a pair of matching OECs to go with that?!”. Guess what? He did!

Now I admit that I am a bit of an impulse buyer but this was another scale. I just said, go for it.

Over the past couple of weeks he sent me a CAD, which we refined a bit.

Here is the first draft. Based on an inspo photo I sent.

94390524-02CD-4F07-9468-EFC89299A819.jpeg

I loved the side view but the prongs at 6 o’clock and 12 o’clock bothered me. I also felt the shoulders needed to swoop a little more, the shank should be rounded so it felt less modern and the platinum basket and prongs be a little more delicate - but still sturdy.

So I provided some feedback and eventually settled on an eight prong setting instead of six. Which I feel has a more old-world feel. The modified shank and shoulders I think give it more elegance but it’s still robust enough to last as a heirloom piece.

237FCF26-DF8E-4875-9B43-C885885CDB22.jpeg

Having agreed the design, the work is now in progress. So I turned to a tax calculator to work out the import duty on this little prize. Well 10% tax on arrival added up to quite a sum. I joked to my husband it would be cheaper to fly to LA and pick it up myself.

Then on a whim I decided to actually google how much a flight to LA would cost. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw I could get there for $650. With a stop over in London to see my mother on the way!

That was it. I booked the flight then and there. So beginning of March I’m off for a long weekend (3 nights) to the City of Angels!

If anyone has any tips on “must not miss” sights in LA please let me know!

This is one of the best jewelry stories I have ever read on PS. If you get a chance, WoodSpoon was a pretty good restaurant the last time I visited.

Can't wait to see your new ring!!!

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Glad that you've enjoyed your trip. That's a lovely OEC! Your ring looks terrific on your hand. I love the delicacy of the prongs.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone is looking for a great Vietnamese restaurant Downtown Grace recommended Little Sisters which was absolutely fab.

6C88ED2C-C8B4-4CE5-BD96-0D06FCF5DF84.jpeg

My biggest problem is I keep staring at my hand as we walk around. My husband is like “for gods sake we are four blocks from Skid Row, can you stop!”

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
The proportions look absolutely perfect on you! So happy it worked out so well, and you got a fun adventure out of it to boot! When you're back home and settled, I hope you'll share even more photos of the ring?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a terrific ring! And a vacay to boot!!!

cheers--Sharon

hardwear

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring!
If you have time visit J.Paul Getty Museum.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring!
If you have time visit J.Paul Getty Museum.

I really wanted to do that but we dated an afternoon by taking a 30 minute nap that turned into a 2.5hour nap - doh!!

I’d planned on Griffith Observatory this afternoon and a walking tour this evening but I underestimated the jet lag - especially after a giant Vietnamese meal and two glasses of CA Sauvignon Blanc!

We have a private tour of the city tomorrow including Santa Monica, the farmers market, La Brea, Hollywood, etc then a day wine tasting in Santa Barbara on Sunday.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is perfection. Who was the master?

Jet is a sneaky bastard especially going west. Enjoy your tour! Griffith can be visited in the evening too if you have the energy. I love going up there on a clear night

entaro

Rough_Rock
I totally and utterly love it. The photos and videos really didn’t do it justice. In real life it’s so much more amazing. Jacob’s workmanship is perfection. I’ve just left a bunch of little OECs with him for cluster earrings because he did such an incredible job on the ring.

For those who like specs, the centre stone is 2.25ct, K colour, SI2. It’s incredibly white face up - I see no tint at all - and it’s eye clean (twining wisps which do not cloud the sparkle). The side stones are 0.7ct each, also K, SI1 and VS2 also eye clean.

“Compromise” on colour and clarity meant this was huge bang for buck. It would have cost me double in the U.K. - without GIA certs because you just don’t get them in England.

Am so happy with it.

superb! totally agreed on the bang for buck factor! thanks for the update and pics.

hardwear

Rough_Rock
We have a private tour of the city tomorrow including Santa Monica, the farmers market, La Brea, Hollywood, etc then a day wine tasting in Santa Barbara on Sunday.

Enjoy the tour and the wines- yum!

If you can get reservations at Nobu Malibu, go for it. The experience and views -wow!
There is Dukes a casual restaurant down the road, probably easier to get in and they usually accommodate seating with a view.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is perfection. Who was the master?

Jet is a sneaky bastard especially going west. Enjoy your tour! Griffith can be visited in the evening too if you have the energy. I love going up there on a clear night

Jacob K Fine Jewellery. I was impressed. Very nice workmanship and simple to deal with.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy the tour and the wines- yum!

If you can get reservations at Nobu Malibu, go for it. The experience and views -wow!
There is Dukes a casual restaurant down the road, probably easier to get in and they usually accommodate seating with a view.

Oh that’s good to know, thank you. We have dinner tonight at 71Above, which is supposed to have amazing views of the city.

I thought where I live is pricey but LA sure is an expensive city for food and wine.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omggggg the ring and stones are perfect!!!! I follow Jacob k fine jewelry on IG and am always drooling over his designs. Congrats!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that’s good to know, thank you. We have dinner tonight at 71Above, which is supposed to have amazing views of the city.

I thought where I live is pricey but LA sure is an expensive city for food and wine.

It sounds like you are staying around DTLA. If you don’t have brunch/lunch plans yet, check out Manuela at arts district.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is gorgeous and how exciting to be able to do a trip to get it! I am sure the memories will live on forever. Enjoy every sparkle of your ring - it looks fabulous on you!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow.. I just caught up and yay you finally made it!! And your ring is stunning!! I love that this was an adventure and you got to do everything you came for.
That ring has done more sight seeing than I have hahaha. Wear it in good health!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So while I was with Jacob I couldn’t resist getting something made to match.

I prevailed upon him to make me a pair of OEC clusters out some some stones I already had. They just arrived and I love them. They go so well with my OEC ring.

234896AD-9661-48AA-925E-B3E2DE5F2004.jpeg C9B03D54-1260-49C5-8305-EF1D55C5AB55.jpeg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful. Your story was great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results