shape
carat
color
clarity

NYE fireworks with 2.22 ctw from HPD!!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
A few weeks ago, my wonderful husband surprised me by telling me he wanted to upgrade my studs for Christmas. We had talked about it in the past, but the timing was honestly a surprise. My old studs are 1.2 ctw, 5.3 mm each, F-G, SI2. I do not have huge earlobes. So I knew that with limited lobe real estate, this upgrade needed fireworks.

I immediately emailed Wink.

We are lucky enough to live very close to a CBI retailer, and after seeing people rave about CBIs on PS, I had dropped by that retailer sometime in the last couple of years to take a peek. I remember being absolutely blown away by the diamonds and thinking they were like looking in a kaleidoscope. It made a huge impression and I was determined that some day I would love to own one.

Wink, for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of dealing with him, is a truly fabulous gentleman. This is my second purchase through HPD (the first was beautiful studs for my daughter from HP Lux melee), and I genuinely enjoy working with @Wink and Melissa @Winks_Elf . They are caring and kind and funny, and go out of their way to make things easy for the client. My email came in to Wink at the peak of HPD’s busy season, and he still took time to call me. We talked for a very long time and looked through HPD’s inventory. I thought I was looking for around 2 ctw, based on my past try-ons at local stores. We combed through, looking for the best pair around 1 carat each.

And then I looked a bit farther up and I saw this pair. It was actually cheaper than the smaller pairs we had been considering. But SI2s? Could I be ok with SI2s?

“Wink,” I said. “What do you think of those 1.11 G SI2s?”

He started to chuckle. “Oh....that Paul Slegers,” he said. “Wow.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

Wink explained that the clarity grade allowed the price to be significantly cheaper than other stones this size, and than many smaller stones. He didn’t have the stones in house—they were in Antwerp. But he looked at the AGS reports, and said he felt good about the inclusions. One had a grade setting crystal. He said those were usually white, and very hard to see. The other had twinning wisps. He said those were actually his favorite kind of inclusion.

So we selected the 1.11 G SI2s. I was super excited. This allowed me to go up in size to 6.7 mm! Now we had to wait a week or so for the stones to get in from Antwerp.

When they arrived, the plan was for Wink to send a video of the stones before they were set. However, before a video made it to me, HPD updated their website with the GCAL videos and images of the stones.

EEEEEEEK.

All my confidence came to a screeching halt as saw every inclusion magnified in high definition on my screen.

I immediately sent an email to Wink, telling him I was having second thoughts about these stones. I pored over HPD’s inventory once again. At this point I was set on the larger size, and thinking we needed to go up in clarity. That would mean a sizeable bump in budget. My husband was willing to do it. But then Wink called.

“To me, they are eyeclean,” he said. “If I had 150 CBI diamonds in a tray, I wouldn’t be able to differentiate these from the rest. They are simply beautiful. But to put your anxiety to rest, you need to see them in person,” he said. “Either you will think they are beautiful (you will), or you will see the inclusions and want to switch to a more expensive pair. But this way you will know for sure before you spend more money.”

That seemed reasonable enough.

So this morning my package of loose stones arrived. What did I think? Here’s the email I sent Wink a few hours later:

“ !!!!!

Inclusions? What inclusions???? All I see is sparkle!!!!

I have been walking around the house with these gorgeous stones all afternoon. I forgot to eat lunch because I was staring at them.

In other words, I am over my mind-clean freak-out.

The only problem I foresee with these is the need to look in a mirror all the time to see them on my ears!”

So....a few lessons for all of you out there. First, if Wink says something is eyeclean, it is eyeclean. Yes, even an SI2. You can absolutely trust him. I can see the inclusions from the bottom...if I use a loupe. And I saw the twinning wisps in one photo that I magnified. That’s it. Truly. In person the diamonds are moving so much light that it’s truly difficult to see anything else.

Second, CBIs are gorgeous diamonds. I took a few videos for you because my still photos were not going so well. My phone camera had a hard time focusing because of all the fire!

Here’s one in late afternoon sun:

Another, in later afternoon sun:

Indoors, in indirect light.

Third, you know someone is confident in their product when they send it to you with all the tools you need to critique it. Wink sends a loupe, an ASET, and an IdealScope.
DDFA7B6B-D69D-43B6-A7DE-3BCD61DE0F39.jpeg

Indoors.
9240372B-BB0F-4529-9FB2-939E3BC94755.jpeg
They consistently threw so much fire outside that my camera struggled to focus.

B297362C-0D06-40BA-BB29-5183AFCE30BD.jpeg

Wait, this one is fire indoors.
AB3F6459-DA78-4D7C-BDDA-F490B5783524.jpeg
And more fire outside.

56DDACD2-A119-4212-99A1-093B97A2EA2F.jpeg
This might be the only half clear shot I got outside.

46909E64-BD82-40B1-8FE6-42D0C484AB85.jpeg

After New Year’s I will send these back to Wink and the HPD bench will set them. Melissa helped me to select a beautiful 8 prong setting (similar to the Whiteflash 8 prong setting). I have had martinis but wanted something that didn’t dig into my piercing.

Thanks for looking!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look beautiful! Can't wait to see ear shots once they are set! What a wonderful gift!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look awesome! Can’t wait to see them set. :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the pictures! They are absolutely gorgeous!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI2's?? Where?? Absolutely beautiful - well done Wink!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a wonderful way to begin 2020. Stunning! Wear in blingy joy and good health @Tonks :love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! But expect nothing less than stellar! Enjoy and Happy New Year.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
They look beautiful! Can't wait to see ear shots once they are set! What a wonderful gift!

Thanks so much! I will definitely share more photos when they are set.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
They look awesome! Can’t wait to see them set. :)

Thank you! I’m so excited, too. No idea how long setting will take this time of year. But I will share lots more photos.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!! And I agree, SI2 CBIs are the best!

I was SO nervous about the clarity after I saw those magnified GCAL videos! I was *this* close to spending a whole bunch more $ on higher clarity. So glad Wink suggested to see them before deciding. My eyes are simply not that good. :lol:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the pictures! They are absolutely gorgeous!

You’re welcome! I was a bit worried I went overboard with the photos, but when I was trying to decide about clarity, I looked at every available photo on PS. My thought was that these might help someone else.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Good grief. I’ve been a PS member for a few years and it has taken me this long to figure out the multi-quote. *hangs head in shame*

SI2's?? Where?? Absolutely beautiful - well done Wink!
I agree—very well done on CBI’s and HPD’s part.

Wow, what a wonderful way to begin 2020. Stunning! Wear in blingy joy and good health @Tonks :love:
Thanks, Missy! I hope you and your husband are well and that he is feeling better. Wishing you both good health in the new year!

Beautiful!! But expect nothing less than stellar! Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Thanks so much!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!! They will be amazing when set!!!!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally agree about CBI SI2s. My 1.23 E SI2 CBI is amazing! I am so happy I went for it. I did not think I could live with an SI2 (or even an SI1) because I have mind clean issues. But I can't see any inclusions at all without a loupe and I wouldn't have been able to afford a VS2 or higher in this size and color. Now, I totally could not care less about the SI2 designation. I wear it proudly.

Your earrings will be amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I was SO nervous about the clarity after I saw those magnified GCAL videos! I was *this* close to spending a whole bunch more $ on higher clarity. So glad Wink suggested to see them before deciding. My eyes are simply not that good. :lol:

Same here with my 1.13 F SI2..can’t see any inclusions and it allowed me to go up in color which I love!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! Those look UNREAL and are going to make the most perfect, stunning set of studs. So exited for you and also a little jealous lol -- this is the exact pair I had been eyeing and was planning on buying if we decide not to get the Rolex for me to try and get a little higher on the waiting list for my husband's Rolex, haha!

HPD has a slightly smaller pair of H color, SI2s that are currently in production so I'm thinking about those, but the H color makes me nervous because I am pretty color sensitive. So need to think about it a little more.

Anyway, congrats again! This is so exciting and good job to your husband as well! I love it when the guys are supportive/enabling bling purchases :D

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good grief. I’ve been a PS member for a few years and it has taken me this long to figure out the multi-quote. *hangs head in shame*

I agree—very well done on CBI’s and HPD’s part.

Thanks, Missy! I hope you and your husband are well and that he is feeling better. Wishing you both good health in the new year!

Thanks so much!

Yikes don‘t feel bad I have no clue how to do it....

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting! I’m so happy for you and looking forward to seeing the settings you choose. :kiss2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well done. They are excellent!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!, Beautiful pair of stones! :love:. We expect nothing less from CBI. The team at HPD are the best!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! Those are amazing!!!!! They look huge! That is a wonderful wonderful pair of studs!
I would have never thought SI2's would be okay. I am amazed and blown away!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree about CBI SI2s. My 1.23 E SI2 CBI is amazing! I am so happy I went for it. I did not think I could live with an SI2 (or even an SI1) because I have mind clean issues. But I can't see any inclusions at all without a loupe and I wouldn't have been able to afford a VS2 or higher in this size and color. Now, I totally could not care less about the SI2 designation. I wear it proudly.

Your earrings will be amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Somehow I missed your thread when I was originally searching for info about CBI SI2s! I was just over there and your stone is STUNNING.

Thanks for the kind words. I will be sure to share more photos when the earrings are done.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! Those look UNREAL and are going to make the most perfect, stunning set of studs. So exited for you and also a little jealous lol -- this is the exact pair I had been eyeing and was planning on buying if we decide not to get the Rolex for me to try and get a little higher on the waiting list for my husband's Rolex, haha!

HPD has a slightly smaller pair of H color, SI2s that are currently in production so I'm thinking about those, but the H color makes me nervous because I am pretty color sensitive. So need to think about it a little more.

Anyway, congrats again! This is so exciting and good job to your husband as well! I love it when the guys are supportive/enabling bling purchases :D

Thank you!

I definitely saw the pair of Hs you are talking about. They look like they will be fantastic. I could totally enable you either way because you are talking about two of my very favorite things...CBI diamonds and Rolexes. :lol: How are things going with the AD in terms of the list for your husband’s watch? Any signs of progress?

As for color with the Hs...I really do NOT think you would need to worry. These Gs are so white that outside they look absolutely blue white. I’m not color sensitive, I will be the first to admit, but something about the way CBI cuts makes the stones face up white. Did you see @soxfan ’s new stone? I think it’s a K...and it looks completely white to me! It is gorgeous.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is so exciting! I’m so happy for you and looking forward to seeing the settings you choose. :kiss2:
Thanks so much!
The settings I chose are super similar (if not exactly the same...) as the Whiteflash 8 prong martini. I was looking for something more rounded at the bottom than the sharp martini points I have now. I worry that they are stretching my piercings. I like the look of these. Melissa suggested these over the 6 prong with the donut at the bottom because the 6 prong were heavier, oddly, and more likely to tilt forward. They should look like this:

HI:

Well done. They are excellent!

cheers--Sharon
Thank you!

Congrats!, Beautiful pair of stones! :love:. We expect nothing less from CBI. The team at HPD are the best!
Thanks! They really are fabulous.

Oh my gosh! Those are amazing!!!!! They look huge! That is a wonderful wonderful pair of studs!
I would have never thought SI2's would be okay. I am amazed and blown away!
Thank you! I am so excited about the size. I think they will be about as big as I can get away with on my ears. Never thought I would be a studs girl, but I started wearing them every day when my babies were born...13 years ago...and never stopped!

Beautiful!!!
Thank you! And by the way....your new CBI is AMAZING! I can’t wait to see how you set her! Love that the K color is so completely white.

They are gorgeous, welcome to the HPD/CBI family
Thanks so much! I have really enjoyed seeing your beautiful collection over the years, and I think that was what first steered me this direction.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Enjoy! (And post more pics once you have them set!)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo pretty! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results