shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Trip Report: Upgrade Shopping Has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that my NYC trip was very fruitful and was an absolute pleasure. We saw some spectacular pieces in a number of boutiques - and the customer service was almost better than the jewels! Everybody we dealt with was a pleasure and as generous as could be. There is no question that we will be going back.

We took the entire afternoon to see Kaufman de Suisse, Fred, Chopard, Graff and Leviev. [Oh, and I made a detour into Dennis Basso to have a look at some furs too.
9.gif
] It was great because in each store we looked at the pieces, selected the ones that we wanted to see and they were all brought to us simulatneously - and then they started hauling stuff from "the back". By the time we were done I was in overload. I seem to have settled down a bit now and actually remember pretty much everything we looked at that was of interest. Of course the follow up emails with more pics helped too!

I did take some pics of some of the pieces that made the short list [and some others] and will post them as soon as I shrink them to fit along with posting the rest of my trip report.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait for those pics! It'll be interesting to see how you'll choose to UPGRADE!
31.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
ooooh! Can''t wait to see photos and hear more!

For newbies like me could you refresh us on what you are upgrading from?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

UPgrade???

23.gif
How do you upgrade when you have a 6+ carat stone???

However, I will enjoy every single moment of your shopping experience, so spare no details (or pictures!!!!!!!!!

30.gif
).

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! Can''t wait to see pics and this upgrade project!
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OK, here we go!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

There were 3 pieces at Kaufmann de Suisse that were of primary interest to me: a 10.?? square emerald cut with gorgeous fire [about 13x13x? mm - don''t have the cert - I think it was a G VVS1], a 14 carat cushion cut fancy light yellow and a [I can''t remember the size] spectacular clear turquoise Paraiba tourmaline. Charles Kaufman waited on us and he was such a doll. He hauled out a whole bunch of other pieces for us to look at too. What a pleasure.

My pics kinda suck [so what else is new!] but here they are in any case.

Here is the 10 carat:

KdS 10 c G VVS1 a.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Another of the 10. It had spectacular fire:

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It would help if I hit the upload button! Duh!

10 c G vvs1 KdS.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
This is the 14ish carat Fancy Light Yellow. I think it is an SI1. DH took notes but I don''t know where he put them. This stone is a yummy lemon yellow and sparkles like crazy. The pics are nowhere near to doing it justice.

14 c FL yellow KdS.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are fabulous!!! But I greatly prefer the size and shape of the white 10 carat stone as far as a primary e-ring goes.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Another:

KdS 14 c F L yellow a.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 10:02:41 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Those are fabulous!!! But I greatly prefer the size and shape of the white 10 carat stone as far as a primary e-ring goes.

I agree. I like the yellow but I think it is more appropriate for a RHR.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Wow.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
This is the drool worthy paraiba. I don''t remember the specs. The color on this stone was UFB!!!

KdS paraiba.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2008 10:07:49 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
This is the drool worthy paraiba. I don''t remember the specs. The color on this stone was UFB!!!
HI:

Speechless....needs air......did you see this one Kaleigh???

cheers--Sharon

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
We stopped at Graff and that was fantastic too. After going in they, of course, asked if they could help us [a lady, as I recall] and we told them we would tell them the items we wanted to view. After we selected the items a lovely gentleman took care of us. We must have been in there for over an hour. I saw some magnificent yellow diamonds in the 30 carat+ range and some white diamonds [emerald cut, both rectangular and square] in a smaller carat range. Of particular interest was an 11.29 carat EC that was about 11.??x17.??x6.?? mm. I think it was G FL. It, too is on the list. I also saw a magnificent sugarloaf sapphire. They are on the lookout for an 8+ carat cushion [which apparently is difficult to find]. We also had a look at their signature charm bracelet - absolutely gorgeous.

What was interesting about the conversation at Graff was the upgrade strategy. They suggested either changing shape when you are going bigger or increasing the carat weight by a factor of 2 or so if you are staying with the same shape. I have to say that I agree because the 10ish carat EC I tried on looked basically the same as my 6.39! It was a bit bigger but it looked quite similar.

Unfortunately, I took no pics from Graff but they did take a liking to us, I guess! They sent us home woth a Graff coffee table book [which had a number of the pieces I tried on shown!] and a Forbes magazine with an article on Laurence Graff in it. Too bad I didn''t have the magazine in which I was featured to leave with them. LOL! They did send a [very bad but you can see the proportion] pic of the EC and the bracelet.

Graff 11.29 G FL EC.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
All gorgeous, but I gotta say my favorite is the tourmaline! It''s surprising to me because my top faves are sq. ec and yellow diamonds... but that tourmaline is UN
30.gif
BE
30.gif
LIEVABLE
30.gif
!!!
30.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is the charm bracelet with a Heart shape Diamond charm weighing 1.51 cts.(F-VS2). The RB''s are about 75 pts each.

Graff charm bracelet with 1.51 F-VS2 heart .jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Putting on the popcorn...enjoying the show. Amazing rings!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m dying here! Wish there was a better pic of the EC but it looks stunning! and I just love that bracelet!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
And, Fred has a spectacular exhibit going on of art deco pieces. If you are in the are it is well worth visiting. It will be on until the end of January.

At Fred we saw a really cool flexible diamond pave band. We are considering that instead of an eternity ring.

We went into Chopard to see about a stainless steel bracelet for my watch. Amazingly, they did not have one for my size watch. They did have one for the smaller version and it looked good so I will be sending the watch in to be retrofitted. While there, DH spotted some gorgeous earrings: micropave loop at the ear, a teeny [10ish point] pink diamond hanging from there and a 3.5 carat pear drop hanging from the pink. They looked great. They were so helpful that they gave me a hard copy pic so I have nothing to post until I can scan it! LOL! They also came around to us with champagne, perrier and chocolate.

Then it was on to Dennis Basso. OMG, the furs were TDF! Of particular interest was a broadtail lamb jacket with sable collar and cuffs. The size that had was a tad big but it looked great nonetheless. The pic they took sucks so I''m not sure I want to post it.
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to see what you select!!
Those rings are beyond DIVINE!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Hooray for you!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOOMGGGGGGG!!!! I want that Paraiba.

Linda

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a bunch of more pics but I am getting errors when I try to post.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Leviev was the TDF stop! OMG! UFB! I need a cigarette and I, too, don''t smoke!!! LOL!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
We walk in to Leviev, I put my Graff bag, handbag [LV] and fur coat [I was wearing the long red fox] on the sofa and we start looking around. Of course, they are all ready to help [I forgot to mention that I was wearing my 6.89 F RB, the 2.75x2 earrings and the necklace I posted so I''m sure that helped get us all the service]. As with the other stores we told them that we wold look and let them know what we wanted to see when we were ready. And if they had something else that was not out that they thought would interest us we would love to see it.

Ok, here we go!

Green and pink diamonds: [can''t remember the specs]

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
The green had some fluorescence. It looked almost neon!

Leviev pink and green diamond a.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
29.?? D FL cushion cut - I don''t have the cert on this one - I''ll have to have them fax it. DH thinks it is too big for my hand. I''m not so sure!
9.gif

Leviev 29 c D FL.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
That color is to DIE for!!!! Did they say you can wear tourmaline as an everyday e-ring? or too soft???

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
This is a D FL Royal Asscher cut. UFB! This was my favorite stone of the day! I do have the cert on this one: 21.16 carat, 16.04x15.62x11.37 Ex, Ex, no fluor, 45% table, 72.8% depth, thin to med girdle:

Leviev 21 c asscher D FL 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results