shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Trip Report: Upgrade Shopping Has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 9:58:25 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Getting a stone of this magnitude is not a trivial exercise [or expense, for that matter]. You do not wander in one day and say: ''Oh, I think I''ll take that one.'' LOL! There are a number of sources: retail, antique dealers and auction houses. You don''t really go mad but you are under pressure from the vendors that are competing for your business so that can cause some stress.

Each stone I saw was magnificent in its own right and all the stores certainly want a customer to buy from them. A few have emailed and a couple have already called. I will call them back tomorrow.

Not everything I saw or posted is a candidate. I looked at some of the pieces because they were just spectacular specimens.

As far as what criteria to use . . . hopefully I can tell you my thought process.

First, some background . . . I have always loved minerals in general and precious and semi precious stones [since kindergarten or so]. I have been collecting stones and jewelry for about 45 years and have experience in siversmithing, goldsmithing and jewelry making and design. When I was in mergers and acquisitions I did quite a bit of work in the jewelry industry so I know many in the industry [in the US and in Italy primarily]. I love large stones and fine workmanship and I have also always wanted a yellow diamond. LOL! I''m not sure where the desire for a yellow came from but I have been coveting them since I first saw some at Shreve Crump & Low back in the 1970''s!

In any case, to me, the first thing to consider is how much finger coverage do I want for every day wear. At this point I am not looking for a special occasion ring. It looks like the sweet spot is in the 10 - 14 carat range. So . . . that would exclude those magnificent larger specimens [the 29 c cushion and the 21 c asscher]. They were to big for every day wear and were a factor of 3 higher in the ''list'' price than the smaller [I use the term loosely] stones.

Once you have established the size you need to decide on the shape/color/clarity. In the running for both of us are cushion and asscher/step cut stones. DM still favors RB''s. I''m not so sure. I would consider an Eightstar but in a smaller size than a fancy. Note that I have always wanted a cushion. I have a reasonable step cut EC and a RB. And then you have the debate con color and clarity. DH wants to go with D-E-F and VVS1 or 2 or better yet I am more ''flexible'' [read - I like larger stones as long as they are gorgeous]. Also, for a primary stone I would stick with a white diamond. Much as I love the yellows, I think that if/when I get one it would be for a RHR. Such a ring would be a ''self-purchase'' [like my EC! LOL!].

Am I rambling? Sorry - I am still trying to shake this flu and am a tad tired!

I guess the bottom line is that after you decide on size, you need to decide whether you are buying ''the paper'' or a beautiful stone. To me, the answer is that you want to buy a beautiful stone. As I posted in another thread, when you see ''your'' stone you will know it. I had been looking for a larger stone [5ish carats] for about 2 years back in the mid 1990''s when I wandered by a store in Palo Alto, no less! and saw my EC. It drew me in and I knew it had to be mine. I looked at it, put a deposit on it, went back to ''visit'' it a few times and then bought it. The stone was just calling out my name - DiamanteBlu, I am yours, take me home with you, pleeeeez!

I believe that the stone you are destied to have hill cause that kind of emotional reaction - especially when you are dealing with larger pieces that are less commoditized.

The two stones I felt that pull from were the 21 c asscher [a true masterpiece!] and the 29 c cushion. Unfortunately, both are a tad over the top in size for daily wear for me at this point [DH tells me that when I am 65 they will be appropriate! Snarl!] and the prices are more than we are prepared to spend at this pont even with the discount.

The KdS asscher was beautiful but I am not sure it was screaming my name. The price is right, though. The Graff EC would have to grow on me [too long and skinny - it would give me a complex! LOL!] so I think that it is out. We will see what cushions they come up with out of London. The 10 c cushion was nice but again was not screaming my name. I should have paid more mind to the 13 c cushion. I didn''t even get its cert! And the 13 c asscher was nice but, again, was not calling me.

I have to tell you, that I think I am tending to a cushion or maybe an asscher like the 21 carat but in a smaller size [14ish maybe?]. This is not easy. I am going to need to head down again to relook. I may have been in overload.

Oh, and I also do not like DeBeers so I would be very happy to get something that does not involve them!

I''ll be happy to elaborate if you have any further questions.
Diamante Blu -- What a fantastically detailed and thorough response. I appreciate it! You''ve enabled me to sort of live vicariously through your experience with you.

I cannot wait to see what you decide. A cushion in your carat range would be absolutely incredible. I know, as you stated, it''s not easy, however, it will be well worth it once you find that stone that calls you.

Enjoy the rest of the process and take a ton more pics!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
And, here is an article from Forbes on Laurence Graff:
King of Bling

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
DB, thank you so much for all this information and description. You are wonderful to take the time to explain the process to us. The articles are extremely interesting. Thank you again so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
1.gif
1.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
DiamanteBlu- Those are all amazing...I would take anyone...but I am partial to step-cuts, and any in the smaller range (smaller for you seems to be in the 5-10Ct range). I would be afraid my finger would break off!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 2:00:27 PM
Author: Beacon
DB, thank you so much for all this information and description. You are wonderful to take the time to explain the process to us. The articles are extremely interesting. Thank you again so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
1.gif
1.gif
Ditto....
Great article on Graff -- loved the pics -- that emerald cut was amazing.
Blu, you are my diamond HERO!

PS Can''t wait to see your new upgrade... is this your first?

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
OMG OMG OMG OMG....I almost missed this thread entirely! (I've been computerless for a while)

Blu, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great show!!
36.gif
What fun you must have had!

I must admit that the humongous cushion is my favorite...even though it is, ahem, rather large.
2.gif
It looks to me like an old cut...does it have any historical provenance?

I almost fainted when I saw the Paraiba...is it Brazilian?

Again, thank you so much for sharing.....

widget

ETA: I just finished the "King of Bling" article....so interesting!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 11:32:14 AM
Author: widget
23.gif
OMG OMG OMG OMG....I almost missed this thread entirely! (I''ve been computerless for a while)

Blu, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great show!!
36.gif
What fun you must have had!

I must admit that the humongous cushion is my favorite...even though it is, ahem, rather large.
2.gif
It looks to me like an old cut...does it have any historical provenance?

I almost fainted when I saw the Paraiba...is it Brazilian?

Again, thank you so much for sharing.....

widget

ETA: I just finished the ''King of Bling'' article....so interesting!!!

Yes, I found both articles very interesting too.

You know, I didn''t even ask about the paraiba. I would suspect it is Brazilian but I don''t know for sure.

And, as far as the mega-cushion goes this is very interesting - I dream about it - literally - when I am asleep. I guess that it is the stone that really made an impression on me! To bad it is the size of an air craft carrier with a corresponding price! I just looked and I don''t have the GIA on it so I can''t tell you the pavillion facet pattern. I don''t think it is an old cut and they didn''t mention any historical provenance. I''m sure that if there was anything particularly interesting about its history they would have told me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results